The answer to this question may be:

Which can generate more aggregrate throughput with acceptable response time?

1) A number of "single use" Linux images running under zVM

or

2) A single Linux image.

I would guess this would depend on the relative effeciencies of the two
schedulers. For example, what happens if an application running on Linux
(say a CGI) "goes crazy" and just eats up CPU? In a "single Linux image"
situation, will Linux take automatic action to prevent this process from
starving all the other processes? In a zVM scenario, with multiple "single
use" Linux images, will zVM better manage the CPU? I truly don't know.

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

intended for a specific individual and purpose, and its' content is
protected by law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should delete
this message and are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, or
distribution of this transmission, or taking any action based on it, is
strictly prohibited.