> What happens then? You still have dozens of copies of
> Linux running in dozens of EC machines. And they're
> talking to each other via TCP/IP stacks over a number
> of high speed connections. Have you really advanced
> the architecture and capabilities of Linux?

Yes,  this is a fabulous question
and we as afficionados of Linux-on-zSeries and of VM
should not be afraid of it.

> So my question is: What moves are afoot to reduce the
> number of required images by consolidating their
> functions and remove the TCP/IP communications between
> applications?

I know that there are  "moves afoot"  from several sectors.
My own employer has some offerings out there already.
Then there are home-grown strategies which leverage zSeries and/or VM
which are sometimes obvious  (and sadly sometimes NOT obvious).

Communication among Linux-on-VM instances can be through TCP/IP.
But don't forget that even there the guest LAN has advantages
over wired interconnect.   ALSO don't forget that TCP/IP is
not the only means of communication and resource sharing.

-- R;