Post, Mark K wrote:

One of our z/VM support guys and I experimented with IEEE VLAN support on
VSWITCH earlier this year.  What we wound up doing was _not_ telling the
Linux guest that there was any 802.1q trunking going on.  It was all done
with the VSWITCH configuration.  Each guest was given a specific VLAN number
to use (no VLAN=any for anyone), and everything worked fine.

Right. That's the situation where you have VSWITCH treat each of the
Linux guests as VLAN-unaware and have CP tag every packet Linux sends
with the proper VLAN ID. This simple scenario is sort of overlooked in
Vic's redpaper.

If your Linux guest lives in more than one VLAN you need to enable VLAN
inside Linux and make it tag the outbound traffic itself (and have CP
validate that against the list of VLAN IDs). That's kind of double work.
I am not sure you need Linux very often in multiple VLAN IDs, but I may
be wrong.

Rob