K. I've just gotten to the point where our VM guy is going to finally let
me USE vdisk for swap (took much convincing) and he assigned that device at
dev 300.
swapgen not withstanding, I've been unable to get linux to recognize the
device. I've tried adding it using an add command echoed to
/proc/dasd/devices and I get

0203(ECKD) at ( 94: 12) is dasdd      : active at blocksize: 4096, 216000
blocks, 843 MB
0300(none) at ( 94: 16) is dasde      : unknown

I wanted to resolve THIS part before I tried to do something slick with
swapgen. Perhaps I am being premature?

             Dave Jones
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             e.net>                                                     To
             Sent by: Linux on         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             390 Port                                                   cc
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             IST.EDU>                                              Subject
                                       Re: New version of SWAPGEN
                                       available
             06/25/2004 09:24
             AM

             Please respond to
             Linux on 390 Port
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                 IST.EDU>

Yes, it's ready for Linux use as a swap device. You just need an entry
for "swap" in the /etc/fstab file.......
DJ

--
Dave Jones                                   Sine Nomine Associates
Houston, TX                                  281.578.7544