It is not the case the /boot is the issue.  As soon as the kernel starts it
mounts the root.  If mounting the root fails then the kernel gives up, and you
have to recover the root filesystem.

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of
Ryan McCain
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 7:21 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Root filesystem

Could I put the root filesystem outside of LVM and just not /boot?  Isn't that
the real issue?

Thanks..

>>> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at  7:45 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Hi, John.
>
> I didn't say that LVMs are inherently risky or unreliable.
> By all means build and use LVMs to hold your application
> data and code. Just don't put the root Linux file system
> (the one Linux needs to boot from...) in an LVM. It makes
> recovery of a sick penguin in a z/VM environment must
> easier.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email from the State of California is for the sole
use of the intended recipient and may contain confidential and privileged
information.  Any unauthorized review or use, including disclosure or
distribution, is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please
contact the sender and destroy all copies of this email.