Others can chime in - but the biggest reason I find for an LVM 'going bad' -
is that one of the disks that make up the LVM isn't online.  Someone forgot
to update zipl.conf or modprobe.conf and didn't do a  zipl or mkinitrd when
they added the disk - so next time it boots - it's missing one of the LVM
disks.

Or - someone really hosed up something when they did the expansion - usually
you know about that right away!

Or - someone didn't update the VM directory to indicate the disk is now
owned by this guest..  rarer but I've seen it happen.

Other than the virtual nature of the disks and that they aren't hardwired to
the server, I don't see any reason to handle them differently than in the
x86 world.  They're no more dangerous on z/VM than they are anywhere
else..    Any of the reasons an LVM might 'go bad' on x86 applies to z/VM as
well (and vice-a-versa)..   Admittedly - it's probably easier to yank a disk
away from a guest than it is to yank a hard drive out of an x86 server :-)

Scott Rohling