Mark Post wrote:
> Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> -snip-
>> Is there a way to trigger a script when a filesystem (FS) hits a certain
>> percentage full? (90%?)
>
> Of course.  I have such a thing set up on my Slack/390 development systems so
> that I know when to temporarily suspend rsynching from my "upstream" source
> at slackware.com.
please elaborate ;-)

>> If so, then one could develop a method to automatically issue the
>> required lvresize and ext2online commands to keep the FS within a
>> certain percentage range (70-90%?). Of course rules could be developed
>> to make this more sophisticated:
>> which FS are controlled, what % range per FS, limits of VG % free etc.
>
> You're certainly willing to do that to yourself.  I would not want to do it,
> nor make that available to others.  That sort of thing is very, very,
> complicated, and I would want a human looking at that and making decisions,
> not software.

I am sure that view is held by others too, but for many the resource
most limited is not storage, it's skilled I.T. support personnel. Any
reduction in the amount of administration is usually welcomed with open
arms.

Others have suggested taking this one level higher to include the z/VM
SMAPI to add minidisks from a pool. I think this is a more complete
solution. It would allow the administrator to add disks to the z/VM pool
in groups rather than ordering them individually. It would allow a much
higher level company/dept. storage management.

Again I would stress that any such system should be rule based, so as to
prevent abuse.

It has similarities to a z/OS SMS Group, where multiple z/OS LPARs
within the same SYSPLEX can allocate space on-demand across a pool of
shared DASD. SMS also has the option to mark pool DASD volumes as
"available" or not, thus allowing an administrator to decide when to
allow extra DASD to be made available for allocation.

mark