Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 10:22:19 -0400
From: Rick Troth <r...@casita.net>
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: cat herding versus trendy tech

Finger up in the air. Wind's blowing thattaway. Yup, head there.

On 05/25/2018 06:07 PM, Mark Post wrote:
 ... starting with SLES15, we'll no longer be shipping the 31/32-bit
compatibility libraries on any of the architectures we support.

Told ya.
And I believe I said I can't blame them. (Multiple architectures is a
royal pain.)
Bummer none the less.

The reason I'm sad to see it is because I hate being boxed into any
corner. (Even self-painted corners, acknowledging that sometimes it's my
own fault.) So in this case, I hate being unable to run 32-bit because
of a packaging change in the distro. (But see my reply to Phil Kern
about static vs shared.)

Curious, Mark, if SLES15 will dispense with /lib64 and /usr/lib64. HPE's
internal Linux (Debian based) squishes out the bitness from the naming.
(But they might be doing other magic, as Phillip alluded to.) After all,
that company presently owns what remains of (DEC) VMS which got
multi-arch right ... thirty years ago.

[sigh] So many platforms; so little time.

-- R; <><

Kindest Regards,

☮ Paul Flint
(802) 595-9365 Cell

Based upon email reliability concerns,
please send an acknowledgement in response to this note.

Paul Flint
17 Averill Street
Barre, VT
05641