Linux-Advocacy Digest #315, Volume #29           Tue, 26 Sep 00 12:13:04 EDT

Contents:
  Re: News client ("Martin Svensson")
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Roberto
Alsina)
  Re: How low can they go...? (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy? (Roberto Alsina)
  Re: Id Software developer prefers OS X to Linux, NT ("PistolGrip")
  Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools ("S.R.Ott")
  Re: Id Software developer prefers OS X to Linux, NT (Jim Naylor)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) (Donovan
Rebbechi)
  Re: End-User Alternative to Windows ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Joe R.")
  Re: Id Software developer prefers OS X to Linux, NT (dc)
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("JS/PL")
  Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively (dc)
  The definition of a computer. ("Matt")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Joe R.")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("JS/PL")
  Re: SmartShip needs multiple platforms (Was: Am I the only one (Tony Tribelli)
  Re: SmartShip needs multiple platforms (Was: Am I the only one (Tony Tribelli)

From: "Martin Svensson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: News client
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:56:05 +0100

Hi!

I just installed PAN and it's working really good. It's a heck of alot
faster than netscape..

Thanks for your reply!
/Martin

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:21:29 -0300

El lun, 25 sep 2000, Richard escribió:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:
>
>> El lun, 25 sep 2000, Richard escribió:
>> >I'm not particularly slow, I just don't have a lab full of
>> >researchers busily implementing my architecture and
>> >supporting me financially, intellectually and emotionally.
>>
>> Pay them.
>
>Gee, if *I* need financial support that tends to imply
>that I'm not in a position to give it, does it not?

Ever heard of venture capital?

>> Or act like an even remotely nice guy on the 'net
>> and get volunteers. On the other hand, you act petulant,
>> you get no help. Your choice.
>
>I didn't ask for help and I never expected any. Moral support
>would've been nice and I got some. Mostly, I came to confirm
>my knowledge of Linuxers as infantile and for a while there
>I was pleasantly surprised.

If you don't need the help, don't whine about not having help.

>As for acting "like an even remotely nice guy", I suppose
>I should do this because COLA is so widely renowned for
>being a pleasant and friendly group, especially to advocates
>of OSes not Unix, right?

No, you should do it because it's the right thing to do.
If you don't think it's the right thing to do, don't whine if others are not
nice.

Now, this is weird, but I feel that the following 100 lines or so I have
already replied to! So I'll snip them.

[snip]

>>[snip strangely self-aggrandazing rant]
>
>It was wasn't it? Oh, well, that's what you get after you read a paper
>on early christian demonology. Doesn't hurt that I think the fake
>humility routine is idiotic and that self-aggrandization is a role-
>playing game.

Well, it's a free newsgroup.

And then snip some more.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:24:36 -0300

El lun, 25 sep 2000, T. Max Devlin escribió:
>Said Roberto Alsina in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>   [...]
>>Come back when you don't feel a need to curtail others'
>>freedom of speech. Whether thay have something to gain from
>>it is their problem, not yours.
>
>No, its ours.

You mean yours and Richard's?

>  Quit massaging your ego in public, Roberto; you're
>starting to look pitiful.

Well, if the ego has a cramp, I say let's massage it.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:28:22 -0300

El lun, 25 sep 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] escribió:
>On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:14:28 -0300, Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>El lun, 25 sep 2000, Simon Cooke escribió:
>>>"Roberto Alsina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message

>>>ever

>>>No - it had GEM, which was Digital's GUI.
>>
>>Didn't it come with a basic interpreter?
>
>       ...among other things. I paid more attention to the
>       paint program and word processor...

Wasn't the basic interpreter, by chance, a MS basic interpreter?
They had almost a monopoly in basics for that kind of computers.

>       ...and sought out a C compiler instead.

Oh, the joy of Oxford Pascal on a C64 :-)

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: Roberto Alsina <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 09:32:50 -0300

El mar, 26 sep 2000, Chris Sherlock escribió:
>Perhaps so you can drag it around and put it on the desktop or in a
>folder?

You don't need to select the file for that. Just drag it.

------------------------------

From: "PistolGrip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Id Software developer prefers OS X to Linux, NT
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 07:30:37 -0500

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Ummm....   http://www.wallstreetjournal.com

------------------------------

From: "S.R.Ott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:16:52 +0100

Dear Aaron,

thank you very much for your invaluable thoughts that exhaust the whole
field of ecology, let alone climatology and a few others.  Being a humble
biologist with a silly Cambridge PhD, I now realize that I had lived in
total darkness before.  It took a Unix sys engineer to make me see the
light!

Also, because we never destroy but only change, I'm delighted that next
time I feel like shooting some obnoxious know-it-all, I should not
hesitate but go ahead, because I will only change the local entropy
distribution around where he is, and slightly redistribute the matter of
this universe.
I think it would be very arrogant to consider this a criminal offence!
After all, it's a zero-sum game anyway!

With best regards, thankfully

Swidbert

> There is such a thing as being overly cautious.
> In the 1950's, it was proposed that a hurricane might be broken up by
> dropping an H-bomb within it.  Then it was discovered that the typical
> hurricane expends close to 1,000 H-bombs' worth of energy EVERY SECOND.
>
> It's all about energy flow.
> The *only* thing that we can do to change the climate is that which
> changes the terrain sufficiently to alter the energy flows in
> rivers and air currents.
> And even then, all we will do is *change* the energy flow, not destroy
> it.
> If a major river is re-routed, the climate will be *CHANGED* not
> destroyed.
> If a mountain range is leveled, the climate will be *CHANGED*, not
> destroyed.
> In either case, some organisms will suffer, and others will prosper.
> All in all, it's a zero-sum game.

> --
> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer

Dr. Swidbert R. Ott
Sch. Biological Sciences, QMW Coll.,
University of London, UK

------------------------------

From: Jim Naylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: 26 Sep 2000 13:57:53 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Chris Sherlock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What is the URL?
>
> Chris
>
> Jim Naylor wrote: [snip]
>
> > > Please note that Windows NT 4, which was released, was a
> > > *different* product than NT 5, which was released under the name
> > > Windows 2000 so Microsoft could have a cool-sounding product
> > > name.
> >
> > Like "Windows Me," which nicely creates a new verb (a synonym to
> > "Buggers Me") for what they've been doing to you windoids all
> > along. For corroboration, see Walter Mossberg's (!) column on
> > "Windos ME" in the Wall Street Journal.

I don't have one--I read the article in the <ahem> local newspaper,
reprinted from the WSJ a couple of weeks ago. Perhaps a search engine
will be of assistance?

--
Jim Naylor

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donovan Rebbechi)
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: 26 Sep 2000 14:34:48 GMT

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:53:20 -0400, JS/PL wrote:

>"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>Notice the percentage which is cut as the income gets higher?

But the raw $ amount actually scales in the other direction. So more
money goes to the high income earner.

You don't say anything about how much more money someone who makes a million
each year would get. My bet is that it's more than any of those other guys
would get.

[ snip more about income taxes ]

Again, income tax cuts is not a "vision".

>source http://www.georgewbush.com/issues.asp?FormMode=FullText&ID=3

So who's parroting the party line now, huh ?

--
Donovan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: End-User Alternative to Windows
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:40:48 GMT

> It's not quite dead yet.  :-)

There's life in the old gal yet, but I keep seeing announcements of new
releases of various products that are available only for 'doze.

OTOH, they did just announce a new release of CM/2, with yet another
name change.

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz

"A BIND is a terrible thing to waste"

From: "Joe R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:15:11 GMT

(Donovan Rebbechi) wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:53:20 -0400, JS/PL wrote:
> >
> >"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> >Notice the percentage which is cut as the income gets higher?
>
> But the raw $ amount actually scales in the other direction. So more
> money goes to the high income earner.
>
> You don't say anything about how much more money someone who makes a
> million
> each year would get. My bet is that it's more than any of those other
> guys
> would get.

And a smaller percentage.

Why shouldn't the people who are paying the taxes get to keep more of
their money? Especially when the Bush plan helps those at the lower end
by a greater percentage?

BTW, how does your comment address the key issue? Someone stated that
the Bush plan was a handout to the aristocracy and didn't do a thing for
those at the lower end of the scale. Clearly, the figures you snipped
show that those at the lower end of the scale _do_ benefit immensely.

------------------------------

From: dc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:17:26 -0500

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 20:28:56 +1000, Chris Sherlock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>dc wrote:
>[snip]
>
>> Then perhaps, among other things, your system admin has disabled the
>> normal cached profiles.  Normally when the NIC can't reach the PDC,
>> the cached profiles will be used, the last known password that was
>> cached will be used, and the user can access the system with those
>> credentials until told otherwise.
>
>Hold on. I can see a fairly big flaw in this... what if somehow someone
>you didn't like got your old password. They would be able to access your
>old profile! Surely W2K wouldn't allow for *this* to happen, would it?

Of course they could.  If someone knew your current password, and
wanted to look at your profile without anyone else knowing, they'd
just keep that machine off the network, and they could look at the
profile by logging in as you.  If you changed that password, as long
as they kept the machine off the network while logging in they could
still log in as you.

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:22:24 -0400

"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:53:20 -0400, JS/PL wrote:
> >
> >"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> >Notice the percentage which is cut as the income gets higher?
>
> But the raw $ amount actually scales in the other direction. So more
> money goes to the high income earner.
>
> You don't say anything about how much more money someone who makes a
million
> each year would get. My bet is that it's more than any of those other guys
> would get.

It never ceases to amaze me how people believe that by not taking money away
from people that those people are GETTING money. If I show up at your door
and take everything you own and leave you standing with just your underware,
am I "Giving you a pair of underware"? Tax cuts are not giving anyone
anything, it's taking less. In the case of the poor, Bushs' plan is to not
take any federal taxes from the poor.

> [ snip more about income taxes ]

No - you snipped the part where poor people get a 100% tax cut. Reposted
below.

Tax Relief for Families of Four
A family of four making $35,000 will receive a $1,500 tax cut, a 100 percent
reduction.
A family of four making $50,000 will receive a $2,000 tax cut, a 50 percent
reduction.
A family of four making $75,000 will receive a $2,500 tax cut, a 25 percent
reduction.
Tax Relief for Single Parents
A single mother with one child making $22,000 will receive a $1,000 tax cut,
a 100 percent reduction.
A single mother with two children making $32,000 will receive a $1,500 tax
cut, a 95 percent reduction.

------------------------------

From: dc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 10:28:33 -0500

On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 19:39:01 +1000, Chris Sherlock
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>My point was that most people in an office network who use Windows tend
>to rely on the NetBEUI protocol to communicate with each other.

No, they rely on TCPIP (NetBIOS) to talk to each other.  I haven't
seen a NetBEUI network in real life, ever.  The only place I've ever
seen it is Microsoft exams.

>I was more responding to the later questions where it was said that most
>people used Windows. Windows primarily uses NetBEUI to communicate with
>other Windows machines, (although I wonder how much this is changing) so
>I felt that this was a valid comment to make.

Well, the question asked about the *Macintosh*, not the PC, but still,
that's not correct.

>Unfortuneately I didn't make my observations too well! :)
>
>Personally I don't like NetBEUI, however as MS seems to be touting it
>quite a bit for their networking (witness WINS, etc) and it is pretty
>easy to setup (hey, it's a broadcast based protocol, using a flat naming
>heirachy, what do you need to do?) most people use it when they install
>MS O/Ses.

WINS is TCPIP, not NetBEUI.  I think you're a bit confused.

------------------------------

From: "Matt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Subject: The definition of a computer.
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 08:33:31 -0700

> The ability to play games is not a definition of a computer as far as I am
> concerned. The ability to do real business world tasks is what a computer
> is as far as I am concerned. Our clients do POS, need DB, need
> Domino/Notes. They do not play games. They have no use for a machine which
> cannot be productive in the real business world environment.

Well bob I guess that you have no clue as to what a computer really is. A
computer is any device that can store, retieve and process data. A pocket
calculator is a computer. So is the human brain. A playstation 2 game
console is also a very specialized computer. In fact the PSX2 has more
processiong power than alot of PC's. Hell even my DVD player has a computer
in it! Your definition is flat wrong, ther is nothing in dictionary about
POS, database, or lotus notes. I would agree with you that a PC or server is
more useful and powerful than a gaming console, but usefullness is not an
indicator of whether or not a device is a computer.

Matt

------------------------------

From: "Joe R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:34:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "JS/PL"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Tue, 26 Sep 2000 06:53:20 -0400, JS/PL wrote:
> > >
> > >"Donovan Rebbechi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > >Notice the percentage which is cut as the income gets higher?
> >
> > But the raw $ amount actually scales in the other direction. So more
> > money goes to the high income earner.
> >
> > You don't say anything about how much more money someone who makes a
> million
> > each year would get. My bet is that it's more than any of those other
> > guys
> > would get.
>
> It never ceases to amaze me how people believe that by not taking money
> away
> from people that those people are GETTING money. If I show up at your
> door
> and take everything you own and leave you standing with just your
> underware,
> am I "Giving you a pair of underware"? Tax cuts are not giving anyone
> anything, it's taking less. In the case of the poor, Bushs' plan is to
> not
> take any federal taxes from the poor.
>

> > [ snip more about income taxes ]
>
> No - you snipped the part where poor people get a 100% tax cut. Reposted
> below.
>
> Tax Relief for Families of Four
> A family of four making $35,000 will receive a $1,500 tax cut, a 100
> percent
> reduction.
> A family of four making $50,000 will receive a $2,000 tax cut, a 50
> percent
> reduction.
> A family of four making $75,000 will receive a $2,500 tax cut, a 25
> percent
> reduction.

That's why the relative numbers are the important part -- not the
dollars.

I'd venture that the $1500 means more to a $35 K family of 4 than $2500
means to the average $75 K family of 4.

------------------------------

From: "JS/PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 11:52:33 -0400

"Joe R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > No - you snipped the part where poor people get a 100% tax cut. Reposted
> > below.
> >
> > Tax Relief for Families of Four
> > A family of four making $35,000 will receive a $1,500 tax cut, a 100
> > percent reduction.
> > A family of four making $50,000 will receive a $2,000 tax cut, a 50
> > percent reduction.
> > A family of four making $75,000 will receive a $2,500 tax cut, a 25
> > percent reduction.
>

> That's why the relative numbers are the important part -- not the
> dollars.
>
> I'd venture that the $1500 means more to a $35 K family of 4 than $2500
> means to the average $75 K family of 4.

It would mean a great deal to a family of four to know that there will be no
Federal Tax on their income up to 35k. There would be no reason to withold
federal taxes from the weekly paycheck.

------------------------------

Subject: Re: SmartShip needs multiple platforms (Was: Am I the only one
From: Tony Tribelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:57:14 GMT

Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Tony Tribelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> : I'm not arguing whether various apps are bloated and buggy, some are. I'm
> : not arguing about the politics around Microsoft, MS does act like a bully at
> : times. I merely argue that WinNT itself is not a crappy OS. Feel free to
> : offer some reasons why WinNT is crappy in your opinion, something other than
> : it's not Unix please.
>
> But the things that suck about it ARE side-effects of the fact that
> it's not UNIX.  You can't really separate the two - gui is not remotable
> without third-party add-ons, does not let you use devices like a
> sequential file, COMMAND.EXE is bad for both scripting and interactive
> use, etc.  It's not fair to say, "Tell me what's wrong with this OS,
> but you aren't allowed to compare it to the OS you like better."  Without
> comparing to some other proven method, complaining about the way an OS
> does something is nothing more than baseless whining.

You confuse "what's wrong" with what "you like better". Using your logic a
WinNT advocate could say Unix sucks because it doesn't have his favorite
WinNT capabilities. Both you and he are misguided with such statements. For
an OS to be "crappy" IMHO it needs to fail to meet it's own goals and fail
to deliver it's own advertised features and capabilities.

Tony

------------------------------

From: Tony Tribelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 16:03:21 GMT

Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> : What's that have to do with the quality of the OS?  That's a feature --
> : gravy. And it's in Whistler so people will have it early next year.
>
> I suppose it depends on if you want to call the GUI part of the OS or
> not.  In UNIX it's a seperate application,  But how functional is Windows
> without Explorer and the GDI up?

To be clear, Windows NT not Windows is the subject.

>From an administration point of view there are console based programs for
much of the configuration and administration of a system.

> : you're not since you're claiming it's poor at scripting and interactive
> : use, both of which CMD does well.
>
> Sure, it looks like that so long as I'm not allowed to compare it
> to bash, tcsh, or ksh.  That was sort of my point.  It isn't fair
> to say, "tell me what's wrong with A, but don't ever refer to B",
> when B has examples of better ways to do the stuff I don't like in A.

I address the fallacy of that argument in another post, however if you want
a Unix-like console and various tools add the Cygnus Win32 tools.

Tony