Donnchadha)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.ms.windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Most important computer program in the history of humanity
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:08:45 -0500

mmnnoo wrote:

> A Microsoft exec dubs Windows 2000
> "the most important computer program in the history of humanity"
> (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/nov2000/nf20001113_046.htm)
>
> Although this strikes me as ridiculous and somewhat offensive, I can't
> think of any other computer programs that really deserve the title, either.

The punch-card processing algorith developed by Feynman at
Los Alomos when they were doing the computations to design
the atom bombs.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR greater effect on humanity.

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Evan DiBiase" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Debian Sells Stale Beef
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:12:54 +0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ioi Lam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So much about the most open Linux distribution on the planet. They are
> not even open about when they make the CD.

I would imagine that this is for two reasons. First, Debian doesn't have
a lot of money to go around creating new boxes every time a release comes
out (for example, 2.2r1 just came out, and 2.2r2 is expected in 10 days).
Second, if you install Debian, it's fairly trivial to apt-get
dist-upgrade to the latest version.

It's not the best situation to not have a date on the box, but it's
hardly the end of the world, either.

-Evan

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.ms.windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:09:55 -0500

Moderator wrote:

> mmnnoo wrote:
> >
> > A Microsoft exec dubs Windows 2000
> > "the most important computer program in the history of humanity"
> > (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/nov2000/nf20001113_046.htm)
> >
> > Although this strikes me as ridiculous and somewhat offensive, I can't
> > think of any other computer programs that really deserve the title, either.
>
> I remember before Win2000 came out, they dubbed Windows 2000 one of the
> greatest works in the history of mankind, and compared it to the
> pyramids of Egypt and some other things.  No joke.

The pyramids never crashed.

> --
> -Moderator
>
> "Unfairly but truthfully, our party has been tagged as
> being against things. Anti-immigrant, for example."
>              -George W. Bush, New York Times, 7/2/2000

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.ms.windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:11:02 -0500

Ketil Z Malde wrote:

> "mmnnoo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > A Microsoft exec dubs Windows 2000
> > "the most important computer program in the history of humanity"
> > (http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/dnflash/nov2000/nf20001113_046.htm)
>
> > Although this strikes me as ridiculous and somewhat offensive, I can't
> > think of any other computer programs that really deserve the title, either.
>
> The Enigma WW2 code-cracking effort?  How about simulations of
> weather, nuclear reactions, mapping of human genomes, automated
> accounting, banking etc?
>
> I fail to see one single thing that Win2000 can do, that couldn't also
> be done on other systems.  What - simplified adminstration is the
> greatest achievement of mankind?  Give me a break!

It's still point-and-click

rolling out a change on 50-machines by point-and-click is a nightmare

SIMPLE????
not hardly

> -kzm
> --
> If I haven't seen further, it is by standing in the footprints of giants

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.ms.windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:12:49 -0500

Mike Raeder wrote:

> mmnnoo wrote:
> >
> > A Microsoft exec dubs Windows 2000
> > "the most important computer program in the history of humanity"
>
> <snip>
> "If it fails to win new converts, Microsoft's stock will
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> probably continue to head south."
> </snip>
>
> That's one of the biggest problems with Micro$oft.  They've
> stopped being a tech company and are now just a a finance
> company.

Close.  They stopped being a tech company, and changed
into a cult-company.

Microsoft's entire business strategy is based upon
promulgating the Gates/Microsoft religion

> --
> My Australian Shepherd is smarter than your honor student

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.ms.windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:13:12 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 23:43:25 -0500, Mike Raeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
> >mmnnoo wrote:
> >>
> >> A Microsoft exec dubs Windows 2000
> >> "the most important computer program in the history of humanity"
> >
> ><snip>
> >"If it fails to win new converts, Microsoft's stock will
> >probably continue to head south."
> ></snip>
> >
> >That's one of the biggest problems with Micro$oft.  They've
> >stopped being a tech company and are now just a a finance
> >company.
>
> Microsoft has never been a tech company.  For every dollar spend on developing
> software, they've spent a hundred driving their competitors out of business
> through underhanded business practices.

After all...
That's what CULTS do..........

http://directedfire.com/greatgungiveaway/directedfire.referrer.fcgi?2632

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:15:58 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Of course, there is a down side...

Chad Myers wrote:

> I didn't say it wasn't impossible, but it was a fundamental shift. I remember
> reading a few of the ACL projects' to-do list and it was almost completely
> dedicated to "fixing this application", "getting this application up to speed",
> "fixing this service", etc.
>
> It's a fundamental design principle in Linux and most Unixes that they use
> the permission bits scheme and there's a long road ahead to get everything
> switched over.

I have never used any version of Unix without ACLs and I have been using Unix of
one form or another for a decade.   And why do apps have to change?

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:19:34 -0800

> Spot the recurring lie.

OK.

> Aaron R. Kulkis
> Unix Systems Engineer

There you go.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:18:27 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> If I want a quick & dirty text editor, notepad is my choice.

Not on Linux.  So why bother with running notepad under wine?

> And in case you didn't notice, notepad is a windows tool.
> It's apperantly very complex one, WINE hasn't been able to make it word
> correctly.

Wrong.   I just tried notepad  under wine and it works fine.   Have you?

Gary

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.unix.advocacy
Subject: Re: A Microsoft exodus!
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:22:14 -0800

Aaron R. Kulkis >>
Les >

> > You don't and generally shouldn't if you want to be able to work
> > with a variety of machines and different versions of things.   You
> > just need to know how to quickly find the details for the things
> > you may never have seen before.  On unix-like boxes, the man
> > pages usually provide exactly that.  On of the reasons I dislike
> > windows is that there is no equivalent,

Help.

Go to the command line and type help.

>From the list of commands type "help [command]" or [command] /? for further
help.

Which is more intuitive? Man? or Help?

> Precisely

Les and Aaron are amazingly ignorant.

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 mired in delays as Compaq warns of lack of momentum
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:23:46 -0800

"." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8uqmq2$chr$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "! !" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:8up5m1$i8c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > filesystem

PERFORMANCE.

> >> Chad doesnt know this, because chad is faking his experience again.  He
> > actually
> >> had no DB experience to speak of, no linux or unix experience to speak
of, and
> >> only understands windows in the most rudimentary fashion.
>
> > Well, I've worked for two companies now that have used Oracle and in
both
> > companies they have had long-standing and trained Oracle DBAs that did
not
> > use the raw partition either on Solaris or NT when they installed it. We
> > rarely, if ever had problems (with uptime, at least, aside from the
crappiness
> > of the Oracle product in general) with these database and performance
was
> > good.
>
> Either these 'oracle DBAs' didnt know what the hell they were doing, or
> you're lying

The Oracle documentation I quoted from said raw paritions off little or no
advantage, especially under windows.

> > Please cite cases where raw partitions are the norm and that using the
> > filesystem is a rarity, as you claim.
>
> Pretty much all of them, chad.

Not according to Oracle documentation for 8i.

------------------------------

From: Mike Raeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 09:31:19 -0500

Ioi Lam wrote:

> Now I've opened the shrink-wrapped box. It doesn't even come with a
> floppy boot disk. Talk about convenience.

Ya know, you're just *gagging* for a friendly chant of
RTFM.  Search the CD for help.  It'll show you how to set up
a boot disk.

> > Well, Debian, if you think you're promoting Linux, wake up! That's not
> > gonna work if all your paying customers are either zealots or suckers.

Debian is all volunteer.  If you know Linux/Unix, go with
Debian.  If you don't, go with something simpler like
Caldera, Red Hat, Mandrake, etc.  Debian is not for newbies.

btw, O'Reilly makes a great Debian book.

From: "Evan DiBiase" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: True GTK+ will eliminate Qt in next few years?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:23:48 +0500
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.misc

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Henrik Keiler
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> GTK+ is history. Microsoft is planning a massive lawsuit against GTK+
>> authors and Gnome  fondation starting in Q1/2001. They claim that GTK+
>> violates both US  patents (we don't care about software patents here in
>> europe, but...)  and their intellectual property (even europe cares
>> about that !!). Shipping a product based on GTK+ will be dangerous - if
>> this lawsuit  will be won by microsoft (and GTK+ _is_ violating their
>> patents - that  is the primary problem: M$ has patents covering what
>> GTK+ does... ;-(( )  all vendors who are using GTK+ and GTK+-based
>> products (Gnome) will have  to pay license fees. I won't recomment
>> using GTK+ until these "issues" have been solved -  otherwise you may
>> have to pay many $$ to M$... ;-(

Bah, I'll believe it when I see the links to the patents that GTK
violates. Until then, this reeks of a scare tactic (why someone would
want to scare people away from GTK, I don't know).

-Evan

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:23:39 -0500
From: Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Same old Linux..Nothing new here...

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Spoken like a true geek.

????  If your going to call me a geek at least refer to something geeky.
Calling you a child is not geeky.

Gary

------------------------------

From: mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:30:10 -0500

Goldhammer wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 09:00:03 -0500, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >I use Linux all the time, I think it is a great system. I maintain a
> >Windows box, but it is never used except as a TV or for Lego Mindstorms
> >for my son. At work, I am fortunate in that I can use Linux.
> >
> >The one problem I have with many of Open Source people is this sort of
> >emotional dislike for C++.
> >
> >I use C++ all the time, I can't even understand why someone would start
> >a non-trivial project using C. C++ is a superset of C. Most C code will
> >compile fine with C++, the exceptions being borderline constructs which
> >are probably bad form anyway.
> >
> >This is not a troll! I am being serious and sincere. I am a software
> >engineer / architect professionally, and I have had to argue this point
> >many times with some of guys we hire. It is my role to make sure the
> >right decisions are made.
> >
> >Under what circumstances is "C" a better choice than "C++?"
> >(excluding backward compatibility in an existing product)
>
> In comp.lang.c, the question "is C++ a superset of C" has been
> discussed to death, and the result is a unanimous "no".
> For more information, please check out some of the posts
> by Kaz Kylheku on Deja, especially the thread with Bjarne.

I have read them, and I have debated this issue. Still:

#include <stdio.h>
int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
        printf ("Hello World\n");
}

Works in both environments. How is C++ NOT a superset of C? You say it
isn't but offer no reason. I do not know of a single important construct
that is in C and not in C++. That seems like the perfect definition of
"super set."

But, in C++ you can do stuff like this:

class A
{
        virtual void foo(int x);
};

class B : public A
{
        virtual void foo(int x);
};

class A *a;

a = (A *) new B();

a->foo(1);

And B's foo function gets called.

[snip]

Porting from Fortran to C++ is not a trivial matter.  The way in which
numbers are handled is different.

You speak of a "psychological perspective" and this is exactly what I
mean, it isn't a reasonable choice, especially when you look at
disasters like GTK where they attempt to write their own OO framework
that could be much cleaner and more efficient if the got over their
irrational hatred of C++.

--
http://www.mohawksoft.com

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:30:25 -0800
From: Bob Lyday <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?

Marty wrote:

> "." wrote:
> >
> > > Not to mention the OS's that don't report uptimes at all,
> > > such as OS/2, OS/390, SunOS4, NetWare...

None of this is particularly relevant here.  Most rational folks who
have had dealings with Netware, OS/2, SunOS, OS/390, etc. realize that
all of these are phenomenally more stable and reliable than NT.  In
addition, most users of OS/2 realize that it is not as stable as Unix
and accept that.  There is no argument whatsoever that Netware is a
highly stable OS.  SunOS is Unix and any Unix is about as stable as
any other one.  No one is arguing that any *nix is unstable or
unreliable.  It is a well-known fact that OS/390 is known for the five
9's in uptime.  That is, it is up about 99.999% of the time.  OS/390
is down for about 5 minutes out of a year, while Unix is usually down
for about 25 hours.  That would make OS/390 approximately 300 times
(!) more stable/reliable than *nix.

The argument, instead, is that NT is a stable and reliable OS, with
vehement opinion on both sides.  I was addressing this argument when I
posted the URL.  It seems the NT supporter above is saying other OS's
are not very stable or reliable either.  "You're one too!" is hardly a
ringing endorsement for NT!
--
Bob
"Nigeria is a continent."  "Trade with Mexico is not foreign trade."

------------------------------

From: "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:33:27 -0800

"Goldhammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8uqst0$h1c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <xP5Q5.126446$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   "Bruce Schuck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

> > I quoted:
> >
> > "Internally, all Oracle8i file I/O routines support 64-bit file
> > offsets, meaning that there are no 2GB or 4GB file size limitations
> > when it comes to data, log, or control files as is the case on some
> >  other platforms."
> >
> > "some other platforms" have 2GB or 4GB file limitations.
> >
> > Linux and Unix would be examples.
> >
> > NT does NOT have a 2GB or 4GB file size limitation.
>

> Whether or not you can use >2Gb or >4Gb Oracle
> datafiles on NT depends on:
>
> 1. Your version of NT
>
> 2. Your service packs
>
> 3. Your version of Oracle
>
> 4. The DBA policy at your site. Some sites implement
> a policy of outright banning the usage of such large
> files.
>
> In any case, don't think life is going to be
> so rosy for a DBA who plans on designing a database
> around a tablespace with one massive 32Gb Oracle datafile.
> In many cases, it's quite possibly the dumbest
> design decision one can make.
>
> http://www.deja.com/=dnc/getdoc.xp?AN=519987858
> http://in.egroups.com/message/itpoct98/685
> http://help.netscape.com/kb/corporate/19990108-5.html

Sounds to me like Oracle is quite buggy.

------------------------------

From: Seán Ó Donnchadha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Journaling FS Question (Was: Re: Of course, there is a down side...)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:35:11 -0500

Gary Hallock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Loose power before the new data is
>committed and you end of with the old data.

But isn't that the absolute best a filesystem could ever do? The only
other possibility is what happens with regular file systems - data may
be left in an invalid state, neither "old" nor "new".

If you believe that "fully journaled" file systems can do better than
what you described above, could you explain what exactly they
guarantee and how they accomplish it?