Linux-Hardware Digest #738, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 14:14:11 EST

Contents:
  OPL3-SAx sounds like broken record (Mike Epstein)
  Re: HD Problems... HELP!!!! ("James Kosin")
  Re: STB Velocity 128 Video Card (Whigdon2)
  Re: Burning.... (Gianni Mariani)
  Re: Linux DSL (Willow)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session (Brian
Langenberger)
  Macromate ethernet card works (Bob Martin)
  Sound blaster Live driver. When will it be available? (Jens Sorensen)
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (jedi)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session    falls flat)
("not")
  Acer SCSI controllers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Powerdown with Linux #2 - HELP (Douglas E Harmon)
  Re: Running CD-Rom of Soundcard (Paul Mc Kenna)
  [Fwd: force manufatures to support linux!] (Douglas E Harmon)
  Horrible painful system crash when using a certain Zip disk. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Sound card, "device in use"? ("ComFuMasta")
  Hardware Questions ("Mordecaii")
  Secondary Hard-drive Partitions ("Eamon E. Perrel")
  Re: Considering Linux: Is my hardware good enough? (Kelly Wilson)
  Re: HP Omnibook 800 CT (sams)
  Re: bonnie results skewed by link library ? (Mark Hahn)
  Re: which modem ??? for linux&win98... (Akira Yamanita)
  Do I have a WinModem? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Which Webcams will work under linux+kde/Xwindows? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

From: Mike Epstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: OPL3-SAx sounds like broken record
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:46:25 GMT

I'm running RedHat 5.2, with kernel 2.2.3.  I've just configured my
on-board Yamaha OPL3-SAx manually with insmod, and when I play a sound
(either with "play" from the command line or with FreeAmp) each
segment (about a second or so) of the sound plays three times, then
the next segment plays, and so on.  The card works fine under Win95.
I don't seem to have any IRQ, I/O or DMA conflicts according to the
relevant entries in /proc.  Has anyone solved this problem?  I'd
appreciate any help.

--mike

  ZZ                http://hcs.harvard.edu/~mike/  mike at hcs.harvard.edu

                    [will work for sig quote]

------------------------------

From: "James Kosin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HD Problems... HELP!!!!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:46:26 GMT

Dear ALL,

I finally found my problem...

Always check you memory first!  Even If you have already checked it a few
months ago.

I lost a SIMM.

Thanks for all the replys,
James Kosin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Whigdon2)
Subject: Re: STB Velocity 128 Video Card
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:46:27 GMT

>Any good information on this video card. Couldn't find any compatibly list
>from Red Hat, Caldera or Linux.org on this card.
>
>Thank
>
>John

I have the STB Velocity 128 Video Card,  and my newly installed Linux seems to
work fine on it, including Startx.  I haven't given it a real workout yet, but
I think the answer to your question based on my experierce,  is yes -- it is
compatible.

Bill

------------------------------

From: Gianni Mariani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Burning....
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:46:29 GMT

Everything you every wanted to know ...
http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/

and the Linux reference is in here :
http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/faq06.html

------------------------------

From: Willow <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux DSL
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:46:31 GMT

Michael Meissner wrote:

> Colin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > BL wrote:
> > > but after all those charades, we finally got it going.  1.5meg-6meg in and
> > > 384k out.  nice... ;-)  and $200/mo is reasonable enough for this kind of b/w.
> >
> > Two hundred dollars a month?!?  Holy s*&t!  That's expensive!
> >
> > We can get it for CDN$65/month including modem rental! ($100 - $200
> > installation fee, though)
>
> I dunno, I was just quoted $441/month for dual channel centrix ISDN (128k), and
> a $3k installation charge (my town isn't yet listed on the DSL future
> availability list, and there is no cable where I live).  Be thankful it is
> cheap where you live.
>
> --
> Michael Meissner, Cygnus Solutions
> PO Box 98, Ayer Massachusetts, USA 01432-0098
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I agree, I think he's actually getting a good deal... I'm paying $80 / month for 384k
up and down. I got that on an introductory special by prepaying the ISP for a year.
The current going rate in my area (Portland, OR) would be more.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Langenberger)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:46:36 GMT

Jeff Szarka ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: On 13 Mar 1999 02:23:44 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian
: Langenberger) wrote:

: :M. le Rutte ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: :: Walter van der Schee wrote:
: :: ? [...]
: :: > If you're using Linux, recompile the kernel to include magic SysRq-key
: :: > hack,
: :: > if X crashes and doesn't allow you to switch VT's, tap Alt-SysRq+R to
: :: > switch the keyboard out of raw-mode, then try to switch VT's. If that
: :: > doesn't help,
: :: > tap the sequence Alt-SysRq-S (emergency disk-sync), Alt-SysRq-U
: :: > (emergency disk remount read-only (setting the clean-bit)), Alt-SysRq-B
: :: > (emergency reboot).
: :: > [...]
: :
: :: And than people still say Linux is ready for the desktop?
: :
: :The worst possible case is the same: hardware reboot of the machine
: :
: :The difference is, Linux requires that extreme step much less often than
: :Windows98.
: :
: :If anything, Windows isn't ready for the desktop.

: Yea I hate how in windows you have to compile your own
: software....that's really desktop ready huh?..........Oh wait...that's
: linux.

I'll mention that to Corel, Id Software, and the hundreds of other sites
that provide precompiled x86-Linux binaries ready for download.

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Macromate ethernet card works
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:45:32 GMT

If anyone is interested I have succesfully installed a macromate MN-220P
ethernet card with kernel 2.0.36 as a NE2000 clone. The card is
inexpensive, ~15$ US but it does work.

------------------------------

From: Jens Sorensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Sound blaster Live driver. When will it be available?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:46:41 GMT

HI,

What is the current status of the Sound Blaster Live driver for linux.
Does any one know when it will be out?  What is the time frame?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:46:44 GMT

On Mon, 15 Mar 1999 02:32:19 GMT, Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Amen...A word that is mentioned quite infrequently in this group,
>productivity.
>

>It doesn't matter a hill of beans how technically superior your OS is
>if there are no applications for it that the general public want to
>use.
>
>Vi, And EMacs and ppp-on, ppp-off, and slrn and tin an trn and tetris
>and ispell and on and on and on don't cut it when you have a plethora
>of Windows applications that blow the doors off the Linux crap...
>Users are NOT interested in going back to the 1970's....

        Of course not. Word Perfect using secretaries might
        actually be expected to actually produce again.

        For some jobs, 'going back to the 70s' is the right
        thing to do. At least the machines were reliable then.

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: "not" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session    falls
flat)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:45:43 GMT

Just installed Linux RH 5.2 on a HP Pavilion 64702.  The hardest part of the
whole process has been BootMagic and PartitionMagic (keeping Win 98 for the
wife).  What rotten software that is.  The whole Linux install process WAS a
matter of being spoonfed and the amount of info out there for the tweaks and
things like the sound card is amazing.  It was pretty easy though I have to
admit "grep" "man" and "vi" are old friends to me.

Does anybody know a good source for explanations on XF86Config and how the
whole X startup and configuration process works?
Thanks!
-Peter

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Acer SCSI controllers
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:46:56 GMT

Hello all.

I'll soon be aquiring an Acer SCSI (SCSI-II) controller.
Is there support for these beasts under Linux?

From: Douglas E Harmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Powerdown with Linux #2 - HELP
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:46:57 GMT

Gary Momarison wrote:

> "Keith A. Folske" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > OK,
> >
> > I have installed and compiled the new kernel (2.2.2) with APM support and
> > downloaded and installed the new halt(8) binary.
> >
> > I execute halt -p and the system halts but will not shutdown.
> >
> > Anyone have ANY ideas what I am doing wrong?
>
> When you say it "will not shutdown", do you mean it "will not shut down"
> or it "will not power down"?  And in what run level are you doing this?
> From a normal run level, "halt" calls "shutdown" and so might not be
> doing the "-p".
>
> You probably should put the "halt -p" in a script like
> /etc/rc.d/rc0.d/S00halt and shut down with "shutdown -h now".
>
> --
> Look for Linux info at http://www.dejanews.com/home_ps.shtml and in
> Gary's Encyclopedia at http://www.aa.net/~swear/pedia/index.html

I think he is concerned that there is still text on the screen. Depending on
the motherboard his computer might have really "powered down" under 95/98.
unless the power management package is installed and configured this will not
happen in Linux.

From: Paul Mc Kenna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Running CD-Rom of Soundcard
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:01 GMT

> What soundcard do you attach the cdrom to. Does the soundcard needs to be
> initialized? or is it configured using jumpers? some linux-soundcard drivers
> also handle the eide-interface setup. for a more precise answer i need to
> know more about your specific soundcard

I believe it was a generic Taiwanese board. I think I had it originally
installed with the ESS 1688 drivers under windows 95. It is a plug and play type
card. The few jumpers on it seem to be associated with things like the mike
input and line out. I don't think any of the jumpers have anything to do with
IRQs of disabling plug and play etc.

I would really like to be able to use this computer for my linux setup. If the
setup of this card is too problematic, maybe you could suggest some other
(cheap) card which I could use instead.Thanks.

Paul

------------------------------

From: Douglas E Harmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Fwd: force manufatures to support linux!]
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:03 GMT

==============84AAD41A987B63664D995A2E

==============84AAD41A987B63664D995A2E

Date: Sun, 14 Mar 1999 14:12:24 -0500
From: Douglas E Harmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.support
Subject: force manufatures to support linux!

Hey all...
        I have come to the conclusion that even with all the wonderful
work from the Linux community out there, that I feel more need to be
done. I would like to know what kind of movement, or feeling there is
out there to force manufactures to build suport for linux. I recently
migrated to Linux and have everything working execpt my color scanner a
Plustek 9636t. I know I should have bought a SCSI based scanner and I
wouldn't even be bothering anyone.  I have an HP 3p that I use for
grayscale,  but occasionaly I need to and some color. What can I say the
Plustek was on sale and had a rebate. Yes I am a cheap bastard! But
doesen't Plustak have an obligation to ALL it's customers. Even the so
called Linux Masochists that refuse to ASSimilate! Should I be upset
that their website doesn't even mention Linux? Or should I just lick my
wounds and go buy an HP scanner? Well I sent then this earlier
today.........
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Sales Related Question from the Website

Personal Info:
Name: Douglas E Harmon
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Phone: 305-552-8570
City: Miami
State: FL
Country: USA

Model: OpticPro 9636T

Question:
I have an opticpro9636t and have recently migrated all my systems to
Linux. I have checked with the sane project but they list
no support for this scanner. I would love keep using this scanner. I
need to use it daily for small office and have had to resort
to using an old HP 3p. What I would like to know is if you have plans in
the works to commercialy support Linux or will I have
to shelf this scanner and purchase form a competitor? Any information
you can give on timetable for Linux support would be
apreciated, as this will help me make my decision. respectfully Douglas
E Harmon Computer Generalities INC.

Am I beating my head against a wall?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

^^^^^                             ^^^^^^

(remove)                       (remove)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Horrible painful system crash when using a certain Zip disk.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:05 GMT

I have an Adaptec aha1520B ISA SCSI controller that works fine controlling my
Scanner and Zip drive, until I put this specific disk in.  It has a FAT
filesystem on it, and reads fine in windows and using PC-Exchange on a
Powermac.  However, when I try to mount it under Linux, I get (close to) the
following errors, and the system dies:

========================================================= aha152: target left
COMMAND QUEUE_STATUS: issue_SC: current_SC: 0xc1a5b000: target=6; lun=0;
cmnd=(Read (6) 00 54 4f 02 00) ); residual=1024; buffers=0; phase
|send_ident|; in other (COMMAND); next = 0x00000000 disconnected_sc: on bus:
SCSISEQ(); SCSISIG (MESSAGE IN); INTSTAT(hi); sstat(SELDO PHASEMIS PHASECHG
REQINIT); SSTAT (PHASEMIS REQINIT); SXF RCTL(CH1); signal (BSYI REQI); SELID(
c0), SSTAT (SEMPTY); SCFNT (0); SCSICNT(0), OFFCNT(0), SSTAT4(); DMACNTRL 0
(16bit PIO READ)

enabled interrupts (ENPHASEMIS ENBUSFREE ENREQINIT)
Kernel panic aha152x panic
In swapper task - not syncing

I am running kernel 2.2.1, but it also died with kernel 2.0.x, with a message
like this: "Aiee: scheduling in interrupt 00127bf1"

cat /proc/scsi/aha152x/0
Adaptec 152x SCSI driver; $Revision: 1.7 $
ioports 0x0340 to 0x035f
interrupt 0x0b
disconnection/reconnection enabled
parity checking enabled
synchronous transfers disabled
0 commands currently queued
enabled debugging options: (abort) (reset)

queue status:
no not yet issued commands
no current command
no disconnected commands

waiting: SCSISEQ (); SCSISIG (DATA OUT); INTSTAT (lo); SSTAT (BUSFREE PHASECHG
); SSTAT (); SXFRCTL0 (CH1 ); SIGNAL (); SELID (c0), SSTAT2 (SEMPTY ); SFCNT
(0); SCSICNT (0), OFFCNT(0), SSTAT4 (); DMACNTRL0 (16BIT PIO READ INTEN );
DMASTAT (DFIFOEMP )

enabled interrupts ()

It's not so much that I need to get to the data (as I said, windows reads the
disk fine) but it confuses me.  I removed all the data from the disk,
reformatted, and put it back on, and I get the same thing.

Thanks,

Andrew Shaffer

From: "ComFuMasta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sound card, "device in use"?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:07 GMT

hi, i need your help as well,
i read the previously posted message andi am having the same problem, only i
get an error saying something about error encountered during modprobe." i
checked for ,irq, io, and dma conflicts and i cant find any. i dont see any
problems, i am new to linux, the sound part for sure, so any help even the
most minute will be of importance to me
setup:
sb16 audio device
irq 5
dma 1,5
io 0x0220-0x022f

please help me
comfumasta
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Mordecaii" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Hardware Questions
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:08 GMT

I want to use two monitors, but I heard only commercial x-servers allow
this. Is this true? I also want to use multi-port serial cards(for a modem
pool), any that you know which are supported? Which is a cheap, but good,
video camera that works with Linux? Which is a cheap, but good, TV tuner
which works wth Linux? Which is a good, but cheap, scanner that works with
Linux(scsi)?

I found some supported devices, but I want to know various models which are
supported under Linux, and user experiences. I am using SUSE 6.0. Thanks.

From: "Eamon E. Perrel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Secondary Hard-drive Partitions
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:11 GMT

    Help!  I'm new to the world of hard drives, partition, and Linux.
I'm running a computer with Windows 95, and I would like to put Linux on
a second hard drive.  I've installed a drive, set it to Cable Select,
and run the Red Hat installation.  Disk Druid will let me set a main
partition on the second drive (hdb), but it will only set a swap
partition on the hda drive.  Is there a way around this?  If someone
could (if not tell me) point me in the right direction I would be very
thankful.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kelly Wilson)
Subject: Re: Considering Linux: Is my hardware good enough?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:16 GMT

I'm running Slackware 3.6 on a Amd486Dx4/100 & 24mb ram, advansys
scsi & 2gb scsi drive.  3c509, 6x atapi cdrom, & old 8bit soundblaster..
works for me.. configged to run dns, dhcp, ftp, and ppp on a 33.6 line.
routes and firewalls.  runs great.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I am pinching pennies to be able to buy a new computer.  But in the mean time
: I want to get the most out of my current machine.  I have been an OS/2 user
: since version 2.0 came out, but can see the writing on the walls telling me I
: may soon be in a dead-end niche.

: I am interested in trying Linux, but I am not sure how well it will run on my
: current hardware.  I know it won't be state-of-the-art, but will it perform
: reasonably well?

: Zeos 486-66 VL-Bus(purchased 1993) 256k cache Martin motherboard
: Upgraded CPU using Evergreen 586 module (AMD 586 120mhz)
: On-board SCSI (Adaptec 6360??)
: Toshiba SCSI 4x CD-ROM
: 32 MB RAM
: 420 MB HD
: 850 MB HD (Bios can only see 540 MB, but OS/2 allows HPFS partition in the
: remaining space)
: Diamond Speedstar VL-Bus video card
: Sound Blaster 16

: I plan to add a 2GB SCSI hard drive for the linux partition.

: http://www.dejanews.com/       Search, Read, Discuss, or Start Your Own

| Kelly Wilson                           "It's a good day to be me."       |
| Albuquerque, NM                   http://www.swcp.com/~kwilson/home.html |

From: sams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Omnibook 800 CT
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:18 GMT

i've been running it on my 800ct for about 2months now with no problems.  The
mouse
works great in X, i'm running 800x600 res and I have the full development
environment
loaded so I can code to my hearts delight with still about 400 meg free for other
stuff.

The hardest part was getting X running at 800x600 but that was easily cleared up
by searching
the web for some FAQ's on this machine and what others had done to get the display
cooperate.

SamS

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bonnie results skewed by link library ?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:12 GMT

> Four different compilations, three different results for putc/getc and seeks.

not surprising: bonnie doesn't do anything especially sensible
for those tests.  the random thing is amusing, but not terribly serious.
the per-char tests are a joke, since noone does any half-serious IO
using them.  and, as your results indicate, they measure mostly libc,
not the disk.

>            -------Sequential Output-------- ---Sequential Input-- --Random--
>            -Per Char- --Block--- -Rewrite-- -Per Char- --Block--- --Seeks---
> Machine MB K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU  /sec %CPU
> orig    256 15027 89.5 14096 26.2  4465 14.3 12176 52.3 15569 18.2 117.0 1.0

          384 12102 98.7 16122 21.4  6602 20.0 13899 86.0 15135 19.7 122.6 1.5

that is from a _non-striped_ Maxtor DM 4320, 17.2G, UDMA2, PII/266/BX, 128M.
ext2 filesystem, with 4K blocks.  the binary is statically linked
(I forget which libc, but that's OK) running 2.2.3 and RH 5.1 or 2)

regards, mark hahn.
--
operator may differ from spokesperson.              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                              http://java.mcmaster.ca/~hahn

------------------------------

From: Akira Yamanita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: which modem ??? for linux&win98...
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:21 GMT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Do I have a WinModem?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:24 GMT

How do I find out if the PCI modem installed in my emachines 300k is a
WinModem or not. Its an HSP MicroModem 56 PCI modem. I need a modem that will
work under linux and need to know whether I have to buy a new modem (a real
modem if this is a windoze modem) or not. Is there a way to get a winmodem to
work in linux, just in case?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Which Webcams will work under linux+kde/Xwindows?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:47:27 GMT

I need a webcam that will work under Linux. I am interested in the C-it
webcam by Xirlink which is a USB camera, but I've heard that unix doesnt yet
support USB,is this true? Which webcamera Can I use to broadcast live video
over the internet in Linux (for CuSeeMe,my webpage,ect.)? Please be specific
on the namebrand and whether its a PCI, serial port or pci camera. What about
the Big Picture 3com camera? Please recommend me. I've checked the redhat
compatibility list but they didnt mention webcams. Im using Mandrake Linux
5.3 (aka RedHat linux 5.2). Thank you.