Linux-Hardware Digest #738, Volume #10           Sun, 11 Jul 99 20:13:33 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Modems to buy ("Drew A. Dunn")
  BogoMips... ("ChenthilWhelan")
  Bogus hard disk sizes from manufacturers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SCSI Type differences (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: Zoom 56K PCI Modem (David Reiff)
  Re: Linux BIOS utilities? (David Reiff)
  Re: Celeron, what's the catch? (Marc Mutz)
  Re: Video Card Recommendation? ("DR")
  Re: linux modem busy (David Reiff)
  Re: MAG LT530F dig. LCD and XF86? (Marc Mutz)
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT! (Hobbyistİ)
  Cheap computers in Syndey? (CHONG)
  Re: How much space for each partition? ("TURBO1010")
  HELP Tape Backup for Linux ("Paulo van Eyken")
  Re: HELP!!!  Anyone???  Someone???  Please??? (John Coppens)
  diamond speedstar a50 agp video card (sis chipset i think) ("bulk")
  Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT! (Hobbyistİ)
  Re: Zip PPA - can't read partition table ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Cyrix MII MediaGX all-in-one mobo ("J  Chan")
  Re: PNP Modem Problems... ("John Murphy")
  Re: ATI Xpert98 ("Larry Blumer, Jr.")
  actiontec call waiting PCI modem--HELP ANYONE? (segmentation fault) (Peter)

From: "Drew A. Dunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Modems to buy
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 17:18:34 -0400

Try ZoomTel.  I emailed their tech support department before buying one of
there modems and they sent me three or four documents on how to setup
their modem under linux.

Drew A. Dunn

------------------------------

From: "ChenthilWhelan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BogoMips...
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 01:49:51 +0530

I got a simple doubt... What is this BogoMips... in RedHatlinux 5.2 and
pIImmx, P5mmx, 8regs, 32regs functions in RedHatlinux 6.0 These things shows
up once during bootup time. And more strange of all is the difference
between two machines.

Mother Board        Via MPV3 AGP      i440ZX
Ram                        128 MB                    64 MB
HDD                        Quantum 2GB        Segate 8GB UDMA-33
Processor                MMX                       PII
                             75MHx Core              100 Core
                            266 MHz Ext                400 MHx Ext
                            Over Clocked            Original Boxed
Rest all components R almost one and the same.

BogoMips            524                            400
pIImmx                488                        Unknown
p5MMX                477                            "
8regs                   285                            "
32regs                 251                            "
I heard bigger this number better it is... But whis this much difference.

Also can someone help me how to enable the logo at startup plz....

BYE. Will Keep In Touch.
Y's
SenthilVelan PI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://senthil.webjump.com

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Subject: Bogus hard disk sizes from manufacturers
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 21:47:17 GMT

I recently bought a IBM-DTTA-351680 hard disk, which IBM claims is a
"16.8 GB" drive.  The drive actually has 33022080 512-byte sectors,
which is 16.9 billion bytes or 16124 MB (binary).  Why do they call
this a "16.8 GB" drive?

If GB=10^9 then it's 16.9 GB
if GB=2^30 then it's 15.7 GB

What strange metric is IBM now using to compute hard disk sizes that they
come up with "16.8 GB" ?  It's confusing enough already that there are
two commonly used definitions of GB without having IBM invent their own.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: SCSI Type differences
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:00:02 GMT

Todd V. Rovito ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Can someone please describe the differences between the SCSI Types?
: SCSI I
: SCSI II
: SCSI II - Ultra
: SCSI II - Ultra Wide
: SCSI III

In the beginning, there was SCSI: 5MHz bus rate, 8 bit transfers and devices
and controllers had to be "matched" (the expansion of the SCSI acronym does
not include the word "standard").  This 5MHz bus rate eventually became known
as "slow".

SCSI-II cleaned up the specs a bit so that controllers and devices worked
together a bit better.  In addition, provision was made for having negotiated
bus rates (the controller and device agreed upon some bus data rate) and 16
bit transfers.  So, "wide" means a 16-bit transfer, and the possibility of
having 16 devices (including the controller) on a bus.  And, since 10MHz was
the first attempt at a faster bus, it was terms "fast".

Then, Digital Equipment upped the clock rate to 20MHz, and called it "Ultra".
Someone else upped the clock rate to 40MHz and called it "Ultra2".

Then, there are 3 means of putting the signal on the wire: SE (Single Ended),
DIFF (Differential) and LVD (Low Voltage Differential).

Except for the signalling, all other "upgrades" to the SCSI bus are negotiated
between the controller and the device.  That is, all communication on the SCSI
bus is at 5MHz unless the controller and device agree to some higher speed.

So, "slow" and "narrow" is 5MB/sec.  "fast" and "narrow" is 10MB/sec.  "fast"
and "wide" is 20MB/sec.  "ultra" and "wide" is 40MB/sec.  "ultra" and "narrow"
would be 20MB/sec, but it is not a common combination.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: David Reiff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zoom 56K PCI Modem
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:09:44 +0000

I installed SUSE Linux 6.1 on my dad's computer. I ripped out the PCI
modem that came with it and put in an internal ZOOM 56K modem. It's not a
winmodem and it worked great the first try under both Linux and Win98
(I set up his computer with System Commander). I have a USR 56K in my own
computer and I had to reset the jumpers before it worked under Linux, but
with the jumpers properly set it also works great.

Dave

------------------------------

From: David Reiff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux BIOS utilities?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:31:22 +0000

SunWuKung wrote:

> Hello.  I need to know if there are any linux BIOS
> untilities like EZ-drive for dos.  I want to put a newer
> hard drive in an older computer, and the BIOS doesn't like
> it.
>
> Alternatively, if you can point me to a newer Phoenix BIOS
> update (later then 1994), i would be grateful.
>
> Thanks!
>
> SunWuKung
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> **** Posted from RemarQ - http://www.remarq.com - Discussions Start Here (tm) ****

Maybe you could just use EZ-drive (or EZ-BIOS, whatever it's called). I installed a
second hard drive onto a computer, and its bios also didn't like it. I used the
supplied EZ-drive (it came with the Maxtor hard drive) and installed System
Commander, which is compatible with EZ-drive. Of course you could probably buy a new
EIDE controller card and bios for about the same as I paid for System Commander, but
I was trying to make this particular computer almost foolproof at bootup, for my
parents.

For what it's worth, in my case the computer had a 2.1 gig  drive, all formatted
FAT-32 for Win98. I repartitioned it, using System Commander deluxe, and freed up 10
megs of space. Due to cabling restraints inside the computer box I installed the
second hard drive as the slave off the secondary controller, so it was seen by the
bios as the 4th drive: the first drive is the 2.1 gig (primary master), the second
drive is empty (primary slave), the third drive is the CD-ROM (secondary master) and
the fourth drive is my newly added 4.3 gig drive. When I installed Linux, I installed
the /boot directory to the first partition of the first drive (which I created) and
the rest of Linux to the 4.3 gig drive. System Commander recognized everything and
worked with the EZ-drive.

I only mention all this in case anyone else is having problems with a second hard
drive. As far as I know Linux can't boot off a fourth drive and I think System
commander needs the /boot to be on the first drive.

Dave

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 23:49:43 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?

Stephen M. Caplan wrote:

<snipped double quoted>
>   The clock signal is generated on the motherboard, not on the CPUs.  So with
<snip>
Nope, the mobo generates the 100Mhz (or 66 or ..) used to clock the
system. The internal frequency for the processor is generated on the CPU
die itself with a PLL. The multiplier can be selected from the outside
via BFx pins.

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)

------------------------------

From: "DR" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Video Card Recommendation?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:07:31 GMT

Try:
http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.3.1/README3.html
and
http://www.xfree86.org/FAQ/#WhichCard

In general, I would avoid Diamond cards.

------------------------------

From: David Reiff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux modem busy
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:40:19 +0000

wymak wrote:

> I have installed openlinux 2.2, my modem is an internal modem using
> COM3. Using kde kppp, I tried to connect to my ISP but the kppp always
> keep saying that the modem is busy, what can I do? (running kppp is the
> first thing i do after booting linux)
>
> rgds,
> mak

Kppp kept telling me that too, and eventually I realized that I had a
winmodem that came with the computer. I installed a USR 56K internal (not
winmodem), and still, Kppp always said that the modem was busy. Eventually
I figured out that the USR came out of the box set up for plug-n-play, but
that it had jumpers. I configured the jumpers for COM2, IRQ 3 and Viola!
Kppp dialed out perfectly on the first try.

Dave

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:08:22 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MAG LT530F dig. LCD and XF86?

Till Harbaum wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'd like to use the MAG LT530F digital LCD under Linux. This display
> is sold (like most other digital LCDs) together with the ATI Xpert
> LCD graphics card.
>
> I've consulted the linux hardware compatibility page at www.suse.de
> for these two components and got
>
>   MAG LT530F      supported
>   ATI Xpert LCD   unsupported
>
> How can the display be supported if the required graphics card isn't
> supported? I am confused ...

Let me tell it again and again: SuSE is crap.
But to answer your question: 'MAG supported' == 'SaX knows it's timings'
But that will do you nothing good, because you cannot use the modlines
because your Xserver does not know how to speak to the LCD port on your
video card.
That was bad news, here comes good:
http://marc.mutz.com/X/

Marc

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hobbyistİ)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Windows easy to install? BULLSHIT!
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 17:09:00 -0500

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 10:29:21 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] scrawled these
sagacious words ...

:       Even as an advocate, I typically don't encourage those that
:       don't have stability issues, registry issues, pnp issues or
:       other such issues with Windows to dump it.
:
:       Forcing one option down everyone's throat is the Microsoft
:       lemming way, not ours. Thus many of us recommend Macs to
:       some or tell others that Linux is not yet ready for them.
:
:       If you had quoted more than just the small bit of my reply
:       that was most convenient to you, that would be evident even
:       without further re-explanation.
:
:
Well, it was evident. You didn't have to repeat it. It's just that I
waited so long to read content like this from you. :)

Phew!

--
A Hobbyist.

I use what works best for me and not what works best
for others.

------------------------------

From: CHONG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cheap computers in Syndey?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:15:28 -0700

I know this isn't a forsale ng or Sydney forsale, but i was wondering
where is a place i can get a computer (ready built, for my sis) in Sydney
that's cheap or at a reasonable price thanks

Chong

------------------------------

From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,alt.linux,alt.linux.sux,alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: How much space for each partition?
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:15:48 -0700

I know for a fact that Caldera doesn't recognize any ide devices other than
hda - hdd.  I need it to recognize hde - hdh.  If SuSE does that, then it is
something that I could use.  Just tired of fighting Linux.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: "Paulo van Eyken" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP Tape Backup for Linux
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:16:56 -0300

Need buy a Tape Backup DAT for linux.
Does anyone have a sugestion for brand & model ?

Thanks
van EYken

------------------------------

From: John Coppens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: HELP!!!  Anyone???  Someone???  Please???
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:36:33 -0300

Hi Randy...

Try to put your preferred configuration in the configuration file of
Xwindows first. I had a lot of problems with 1024x768x16M colors till
I switched the order of the resolutions in the config file. Don't know
why, but then I'm not an expert either, it just works ;-)

John

------------------------------

From: "bulk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: diamond speedstar a50 agp video card (sis chipset i think)
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:26:23 -0500

i am currently running red hat linux 6.0 with the video card listed above. i
can't seem to get the video into any higher resolution than the 16 color
video server for vga when running x. according to the documentation at
xfree86.org this card should be supported. when i setup the card using the
svga video processor  i have entered the exact frequencies of my monitor.i
am still a newbie at linux and any info. will be appreciated. also I am
about to build another pc for home networking; from a linux video
perspective and from low cost is a s3 virge the best choice. an older
machine running s3 virge was no problem to setup. thanks looking forward to

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hobbyistİ)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 17:26:19 -0500

On Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:08:31 -0400, Brian Hartman scrawled these
sagacious words ...

: >         Is english your second language? You missed MOST. Mind you,
: >         my most favorite computer mag for quite some time has been
: >         a German one: c't.
: >
: > [deletia]
: >
: >         The assertion that the content in popular computing publications
: >         is actually useful was simply never supported.
: >
:
: It's kind of difficult to defend without accurately defining "useful",

Read carefully jedi. Brian here is clearly speaking like English is his
first language.

English is way far from plain black and white.

It is so often that you have to expand on terse statements which could
look the same on paper but really have a different meaning intended.

: because useful can mean numerous things depending on the knowledge level of
: the reader, but if by useful we can refer to useful for novices, there are
: any number of publications that fit the bill:  PCComputing comes to mind.
: Winmag, while it was around, did a competent job of dealing with novice
: issues for Windows.  And then of course, there are the truly basic help
: magazines, like PCNovice and HomePC.  On the more advanced front, PC Magazine
: has an excellent Tech section, as well as frequently running how-to columns
: on how to fix various Windows issues.  Both PCComputing and PC Magazine have
: also explored registry hacks.  The one area in which the magazines are
: generally weak is in troubleshooting hardware issues, which they don't deal
: with much.  Even here, though, if you do a search for your hardware in a
: magazine site, along with the review is usually a discussion of any driver
: issues.

Brian, I don't know if you'll get through to "jedi" so for what it's
worth,  I agree entirely. :)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Zip PPA - can't read partition table
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 22:46:43 GMT

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   Sean Mullen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I really didn't want to post this ...
> >
> > I have a zip parallel (years old ...) that was
> working fine with ppa
> > under redhat 5.1 ... last night  wiped the
> system to start fresh with
> > Mandrake 6.0 and now the drive will not work.

> > ppa: Version 2.03 (for Linux 2.2.x)
> > ppa: Found device at ID 6, Attempting to use
> EPP 32 bit
> > ppa: Communication established with ID 6 using
> EPP 32 bit
> > scsi0 : Iomega VPI0 (ppa) interface
> > scsi : 1 host.
> >   Vendor: IOMEGA    Model: ZIP 100
> Rev: C.18
> >   Type:   Direct-Access
> ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> > Detected scsi removable disk sda at scsi0,
> channel 0, id 6, lun 0
> > SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes.
> Sectors= 196608 [96 MB] [0.1
> > GB]
> > sda: Write Protect is off
> >  sda:SCSI disk error : host 0 channel 0 id 6
> lun 0 return code =
> > 27010000
> > scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:00, sector 0
> >  unable to read partition table
> >
> >  ... Which tells me that the drive is fine (It
> was fine yesterday as
> > well ...) but the disk can't be read for some
> reason (It was fine
> > yesterday too!) ... when I try it with a
> windows disk that does work on
> > my windows machine, I get the same results.
> >
> >    If I try to mount my backup disks (formatted
> ext2) using  'mount -t
> > ext2 /dev/sda /zip' I get '/dev/sda - invalid
> block device' or something
> > like that ... same with /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda4
> with a windows disk ...
> > any ideas how to fix this?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >    Sean Mullen
> >   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Sean, I saw your usenet message about the ppa error you were getting
with your zip drive.  I added a message saying I had the same problem.

Well, I solved it today, with the ppa driver 2.0.5 off of the dan
Campbell page at torque.net.  Installed the ppa.h and ppa.c (newer than
the 2.0.3 - I think - that came with SuSE 6.1 I recently installed),
recompiled my modularized kernel, and placed two insmod statements in
/sbin/boot.local:
insmod parport
insmod ppa

And goldarnit, came up like a rose!!

Please let me know if this solves your problem too.
Good Luck.
Will McCreight

From: "J  Chan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cyrix MII MediaGX all-in-one mobo
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 16:40:55 -0700

I think that the basic solution has been missed. To try to upgrade this OLD
computer is simply not cost effective. You can buy an entirely new system
for less than $300, and don't say that you can't afford that if you intend
to upgrade the MB and processor for $200. WHant about your 20 MB HD that
you'll have to upgrade, sound card, video. . . etc.

Look at the big picture.

J Chan

------------------------------

From: "John Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PNP Modem Problems...
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 18:02:22 -0700

My guess is that your bios is setup for an O.S. that is not pnp aware and
therefore has set up the resources for you.  When you use isapnp you might
not show conflicts if you set it to resources that are not being used, but
this will not fix the problem.  You can either change the bios setting or
set the bios to output all the info to stdio when the computer boots.  Be
quick and note the settings and use these to setup the board using isapnp.
You might have a problem setting the IRQ to the same value the bios picked
as it will show up as in use.  Just comment this out in the isapnp.conf.
This done use:

     setserial /dev/ttySn port 0xnnnn irq nn etc.

to setup the serial port of your choosing, no conflicts of course.  Add this
line to /etc/rc.d/rc.local so it will be done after each reboot.  You could
also set the bios to pnp aware, but I haven't had much luck with doing that.
It is best not to use /dev/modem but the actual device you setup in minicom
or other soft.

Incidentally this fixed my install of a PNP 56k USR FAX Modem.

hope this helps.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Larry Blumer, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.windows.x.i386unix
Subject: Re: ATI Xpert98
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 00:01:11 GMT

A Guy Called Tyketto wrote:

I'm using an Xpert card with the 3D Rage Pro chipset (Red hat 6.0)
Xconfigurator sets up the card just fine, but only at 640x480 (8 bit).  If I
hack the XF86Config, x will not start

Larry Blumer

------------------------------

From: Peter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: actiontec call waiting PCI modem--HELP ANYONE? (segmentation fault)
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 19:47:41 -0400

I was at microcenter and was looking for a modem and I saw a modem and
it said right on the cover works with Linux!  So trusting the company's
intelligence went home and  followed their directions for installing the
modem under linux.  To find out what the irq and port is of the modem I
have to type 'cat /proc/pci' but whenever I do that it comes out with a
segmentation fault.  This is usally due to an irq conflict right?  But I
tried almost every "free" irq but to no avail.  In my BIOS I am able to
set the irq of each device and which device is a bus master.  Does
anyone have suggestions?  Any help would be appreiated.

Thanks
--Peter