Linux-Hardware Digest #738, Volume #12           Tue, 25 Apr 00 11:14:40 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Daemon (Apple Advertising)
  Re: gesplittete Partition wieder zu einer zusammenfügen ("Jens Richter")
  Re: gesplittete Partition wieder zu einer  (Tobias Frank)
  Re: Compaq Presario 1247 & RH6.0 video (michaelb)
  CD-ROM HP7570i (jinko)
  Re: Integrated 3in1 motherboards (Edward Lee)
  Athlon 700 + Lucky Star K7VA133 ("J.C. Gonzalez")
  Re: Athlon 700 + Lucky Star K7VA133 ("J.C. Gonzalez")
  partition limit ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: gesplittete Partition wieder zu einer  (Benni Motz)
  Re: HOT HD (larrymoencurly)
  Re: Guys,Guys BeOS For Linux Is Here !! (David C.)
  Re: Dual Xeon Motherboard? (David C.)
  Re: gesplittete Partition wieder zu einer  (Benni Motz)
  Re: Dual Xeon Motherboard? (David C.)
  Re: Browser based backup tools? (Henrik Carlqvist)
  HP DeskJet 812C problem .... ("Yasuki Izaki")
  Help on the problem: Serial port losing the parameters after re-boot .... ("Yasuki
Izaki")
  Re: IDE or SCSI CD-RW? (David C.)
  slackware install on 486dx ("hugo hallqvist")
  BT878 TV-Karte unter Linux (Andreas Maunz)
  Re: partition limit (Dances With Crows)
  Re: HOT HD (David C.)
  Re: Floppy format problem. (David C.)
  Re: Floppy format problem. (David C.)
  Re: partition limit (David C.)
  Re: HOT HD (Edward Lee)

From: Apple Advertising <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Daemon
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:52:34 -0700

daemon is users/groups for background processes (no password).
admin is user/group/processes that have administrative priveledges (no
password).

NOBODY (I repeat, NOBODY) should be logging into the daemon or admin
users/groups. They are ONLY for background processes that the OS uses.

If you want to add a user that has administrative priveledges, you can add
'admin' to their group as well as other groups.

Again, NOBODY should be part of daemon user/group. Period.

For a better description, read the "Linux System Administration" (try
http://www.linuxdoc.org). Another book would be "Unix System
Administration" for a description of users/groups and background processes
in unix/Linux.

- Ken

------------------------------

From: "Jens Richter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.hardware.misc,de.comp.os.ms-windows.misc
Subject: Re: gesplittete Partition wieder zu einer zusammenfügen
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:08:35 +0100

Hallo!
"Ulli Rain" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8e1ihl$869k2$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreibselte am Mon, 24 Apr 2000
> 13:07:51 +0200 folgende Zeilen:
>
> |> Wie kann ich die gesamte Festplatte formatieren (Linux weg) und wieder
zu
> |> einer großen machen??
> |
> |Bootdiskette anlegen (mit fdisk und format drauf!!)
> |von bootdisk booten -> Partitions löschen (alle!!) -> Neue Partition
> |anlegen -> Neuinstallation von Win98
> |
> Schön, wenn´s denn so einfach wäre!
> Genau das gleiche Problem hatte ich mit Suse-Linux auch und Fdisk
> konnte mit der Linux-Partition absolut nichts anfangen.
<cut>
Aber es gibt doch bei fdisk die Option "Nicht-Dos-Partitionen löschen".
Jedenfalls hat das bei meinem downgrade von W2k (ntfs) zu W98 ( fat)
anstandslos geklappt. Das geht nicht mit Suse? (keine rhetorische Frage!)
Jens

------------------------------

From: Tobias Frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.hardware.misc,de.comp.os.ms-windows.misc
Subject: Re: gesplittete Partition wieder zu einer
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:20:44 +0100

Stephan Weber schrieb:
> Wie kann ich die gesamte Festplatte formatieren (Linux weg) und wieder zu
> einer großen machen??

Am besten du besorgst dir Partition Magic von Powerquest - damit hatte
ich noch nie Probleme. Du kannst hiermit Partitionen verschieben,
splitten, zusammenfügen, Dateisysteme umwandeln und der gleichen noch
mehr. Ist allerdings nicht ganz gratis.

--

Viele Gruesse

Tobias Frank

http://maschinenbau.iscool.de

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Compaq Presario 1247 & RH6.0 video
From: michaelb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 08:51:58 -0700

I got the Compaq Presario 1247 to work using TurboLinux but I
had an equally hard time setting up the X Server. However, I
finally got it going. For the monitor I simply used the default
monitor setting with the modes 800x600 and 640x480 set up.

The setting I used for the graphics card was tgui9420dgi. The
way I found this out was by trying to install with a combination
of XF setup programs. They each detect things differently and
I eventually came across the correct setting. The utilities
I used were:

XF86Setup (runs with the VGA16 server)
xf86config
turboxcfg (comes with the distro)

The next problem is getting sound and I haven't got that going
yet! Let me know how you get on.

Regards,
Michael.

PS. I've been amazed at the lack of support Compaq gives. From
what I can tell it's not just on Linux.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Highlander
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello, new to this news group, but have been monitoring quite
alot of
>the others in Linux. I just picked up a Compaq Presario 1247
notebook
>with the Trident Cyberblade i7 chipset video card. The
installation of
>RedHat 6.0 went without a hitch, now just getting the video to
work
>seems to be at a impass since I can't find the correct driver
and
>refresh rate for the screen. I've called Compaq, and of course
got the
>run around from them saying, we dont support Linux and wouldn't
even
>give me the specs on it. What I've gotten so far was out of
Windows 98.

From: jinko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CD-ROM HP7570i
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 10:50:50 -0500

I've had a 7570i fall in my lap and was wondering if anyone out there
has successfully installed
one of these on a Zoot machine.
TIA,
jinko

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Integrated 3in1 motherboards
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 20:56:21 -0700

I got 3 (Video: sis530, Sound: cmi8738 and Lan: dm9102) out of 4 (+
Modem: pct0211) working on an Amptron 599LMR.  This board is sufficient
as an NFS/X station, if only I can figure out how to boot over the net.
I am not using the modem due to space constraint, since it wouldn't fit
in a four inches tall box.  Make sure to get the latest kernel and X
server for it to work properly.

------------------------------

From: "J.C. Gonzalez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Athlon 700 + Lucky Star K7VA133
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:18:33 +0200

Hi out there,

I'm thinking on buying the following configuration:

Mainboard Lucky Star K7VA133 for Athlon
AMD K7 Athlon @ 700 MHz (or 800)
256 Mb DIMM RAM

Does anybody know whether I will have any problem.
I think not, but I'm not so sure. Btw., I will
use SuSE 6.4

Please, answer (also) by email.

Thanks

J C

------------------------------

From: "J.C. Gonzalez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Athlon 700 + Lucky Star K7VA133
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:27:45 +0200

I wrote:

> Hi out there,
>
> I'm thinking on buying the following configuration:
>
> Mainboard Lucky Star K7VA133 for Athlon
> AMD K7 Athlon @ 700 MHz (or 800)
> 256 Mb DIMM RAM
>
> Does anybody know whether I will have any problem.
> I think not, but I'm not so sure. Btw., I will
> use SuSE 6.4

Btw., I will install probably also a Matrox G400,
but I already saw that there should be no problem
with it.

J C

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: partition limit
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:27:53 GMT

does linux have a limit on the number of partitions you can create on a
single drive?

thanks,
ty

Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: Benni Motz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.hardware.misc
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:40:41 +0200

> Habe ein großes Problem. Habe auf meinem alten Rechner Win 98 installiert.
> Danach die Festplatte mit Fips in zwei Partitionen C und D gesplittet und
> mal zum ausprobieren Caldera Open Linux 2.3 auf D installiert genau wie
> beschrieben. Dazu den Bootmanager LILO. Nachher startete aber nur noch
> Linux. Kein Windows. Startdiskette brachte auch nichts. Also dachte ich mir
> formatiere Festplatte neu, Format C:. Das stellte sich als Fehler heraus.
> Windows weg, Linux startet nicht mehr, Bios Spricht Falsches Dateiformat.
> Wie kann ich die gesamte Festplatte formatieren (Linux weg) und wieder zu
> einer großen machen??

Mit FIPS wird noch das Programm RESTORRB dazugemacht. Damit kannst du,
falls du vorher bei der Frage, ob du die alten Partitionsdaten speichern
willst, mit ja geantwortet hast, diese wiederherstellen und hast danach
deine Windows partition mit Daten drin wieder, wenn ich mich nicht irre.
Du musst dann nur noch die Sicherungsdatei angeben (wahrscheinlich
Rootboot.000) und hoffen das das klappt. Natürlich brauchst du dazu die
Fips-Bootdisk mit den Sicherungsdateien drauf.
Wo hast du denn FORMAT C: eingegeben? Hat er dann tatsächlich
irgendetwas formatiert? Wenn ja, dann ist da natürlich wenig Hoffnung,
das da noch irgendwas ist. Aber probiers halt aus.
Wie meinst du das mit "Bios Spricht Falsches Dateiformat"?
Noch was:
Du solltest deine Frage nur in eine NG posten und wenn du tatsächlich
mehrere angibst (nicht zu empfehlen) in die nachricht unten "Follow up"
oder "F'up" oder was ähnliches schreiben. Andernfalls kann es passieren,
dass du im Usenet noch auf ziemlich unfreundliche Nachrichten und
*plonks* stoßen wirst.

Ich würde mich freuen, zu hören ob die Methode funktioniert hat
Benni |\/|

------------------------------

Subject: Re: HOT HD
From: larrymoencurly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:47:16 -0700

In article <8du03h$5h1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Edward M
Grill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>    I have a Maxtor COMPUsa 10.2G 7200rpm ata/66 (only at 33)
>HD running under Mandrake Linux 7.0 on a FIC VA 503+
>motherboard and an AMD k6-2 450Mhz. I have successfully
>overclocked the CPU to 550 and a little more, currently only
?at 450 because I am afraid of a situation. even at 450mhz the
>HD is EXTREMELY hot on its underside. I don't have a
>thermometer, but I can't keep my hand on the underside
>long.....it seems the heat is concentrated on some controller
>on the underside of the HD, a small chip, maybe controls DSP?
>    anyways, is this Hotness and high temp common?

I probably have the same type of Maxtor (27G series 6800), and
it does run hot.  I tested with the drive placed outside of the
computer and a room temperature of 22-23C.  The aluminum body
eventually reached 50C, and during reads the small square chip
marked 'Lucent' reached 65C, and it seemed to get hotter with
PIO than DMA, but I'm not sure.  The large DSP chip next to it
didn't get quite as hot, but I don't remember my measurements.
Maxtor told me that the Lucent chip is designed to withstand
such high temperature.  The tiny chips at the front of the PC
board also ran hot, and I was told by another party that they
drive the head voice coil and the motor.

The Lucent chip cooled down to 40-45C when I mounted a fall fan
next to the PC board or when the drive was mounted vertically.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: Guys,Guys BeOS For Linux Is Here !!
Date: 24 Apr 2000 13:02:53 -0400

Stuart Krivis wrote:
> David C. wrote:
>>
>> A/UX is dead.  Don't even bother with it.
>>
>> It is quite different from the BSD/SysV-derived UNIX systems we're
>> all used to.  It actually looks and feels a lot like MacOS - except
>> that there is a layer of UNIX APIs underneath, where UNIX apps can
>> run.
>
> I heard that it was closely related to AIX.

I would be very surprised.

AIX is IBM's UNIX.  It's a fairly traditional UNIX whose API is a hybrid
of SysV and BSD (much like Solaris, HP/UX and many others are.)  IBM
sells (or has sold) it for every platform they ship - s370/390
mainframe, AS/400 mini, RS-6000 workstation and PC/PS-2.

As far as I know, there has been no cross-development between A/UX and
AIX, except for the stuff that everybody in the world already uses.

As for the user's point of view, the two systems are radically different
- A/UX uses a Mac-like desktop, which AIX uses a traditional X11 server
with a window manager.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: Dual Xeon Motherboard?
Date: 24 Apr 2000 13:11:18 -0400

kept <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> i think VA Linux uses Tyan MBs for their dual proc. configurations...
> i've read a lot of reviews and the current crop of Tyan boards are
> solid.  stay away from the 820 chipset though

According to Tyan's web page, they don't make any Slot-2 motherboards.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Benni Motz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: de.comp.hardware.misc
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:07:36 +0200

> > Habe ein großes Problem. Habe auf meinem alten Rechner Win 98 installiert.
> > Danach die Festplatte mit Fips in zwei Partitionen C und D gesplittet und
> > mal zum ausprobieren Caldera Open Linux 2.3 auf D installiert genau wie
> > beschrieben. Dazu den Bootmanager LILO. Nachher startete aber nur noch
> > Linux. Kein Windows. Startdiskette brachte auch nichts. Also dachte ich mir
> > formatiere Festplatte neu, Format C:. Das stellte sich als Fehler heraus.
> > Windows weg, Linux startet nicht mehr, Bios Spricht Falsches Dateiformat.
> > Wie kann ich die gesamte Festplatte formatieren (Linux weg) und wieder zu
> > einer großen machen??
>
> Mit FIPS wird noch das Programm RESTORRB dazugemacht. Damit kannst du,
> falls du vorher bei der Frage, ob du die alten Partitionsdaten speichern
> willst, mit ja geantwortet hast, diese wiederherstellen und hast danach
> deine Windows partition mit Daten drin wieder, wenn ich mich nicht irre.
> Du musst dann nur noch die Sicherungsdatei angeben (wahrscheinlich
> Rootboot.000) und hoffen das das klappt. Natürlich brauchst du dazu die
> Fips-Bootdisk mit den Sicherungsdateien drauf.
> Wo hast du denn FORMAT C: eingegeben? Hat er dann tatsächlich
> irgendetwas formatiert? Wenn ja, dann ist da natürlich wenig Hoffnung,
> das da noch irgendwas ist. Aber probiers halt aus.
> Wie meinst du das mit "Bios Spricht Falsches Dateiformat"?
> Noch was:
> Du solltest deine Frage nur in eine NG posten und wenn du tatsächlich
> mehrere angibst (nicht zu empfehlen) in die nachricht unten "Follow up"
> oder "F'up" oder was ähnliches schreiben.
Ich meine natürlich X-post. Du musst X-post drunterschreiben, nicht
F'up.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Date: 24 Apr 2000 13:09:44 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> You should look for the mother board with Intel 440GX or 450NX chips
> set, Supermicro made some Models: S2DG2, S2DGU, S2DGE, IWILL HAS:
> DGL200....ASUS: XG-DLS.....USSERTEK: XPGS-DS, other too,THE CHEAPEST
> ONE I FOUND IS MADE BY ATREND: ATC6400 BUT IT'S ONLY HAVE 1 SLOT2 AND
> THE OTHER IS SLOT1, THEY ARE ALL EXPENSIVE.
>
> It's required atleat 3 HDs to setup as RAID 5, but it is not benefit
> you much since there is only 2 hard drives to store data, the third
> one is for parities info. the more HD the better.  good luck,

Not quite.

RAID level 4 (I think it's 4) uses a dedicated drive for parity
information.

RAID level 5 stripes parity across all drives along with the data.

But you are correct that one drive's worth of storage will be used for
error recovery (usually parity) data in any RAID5 array.  This means 1/3
of your storage if the array has 3 drives, 1/5 of your storage if the
array has 5 drives, or 1/9 of your storage if the array has 9 drives.

-- David

------------------------------

From: Henrik Carlqvist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Browser based backup tools?
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:19:45 +0200

Rask0 wrote:
> Anybody aware of any browser based backup tools similar to Linuxconf
> or SWAT? I need to be able to work from a workstation and not the
> server itself for backups.

Why not use telnet?

> Or a resource to creating my own browser based tool as mentioned
> above to do tape backup type work.

If you really want to do this the browser way you should search the
apache documentation for how to install apache. Then you will need to
learn some simple shell programming and write yourself a cgi-script.

regards Henrik
--
spammer strikeback:
root@localhost

From: "Yasuki Izaki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP DeskJet 812C problem ....
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:52:53 -0700

Hello,

I installed HP DeskJet 812C printer to Linux Redhat 6.1 by manually (means I
did not
use the printtool). When I tried to print a file, the printer print the
first line and stops.
There is also a message below:
"partport0: detected irq 7; use profs to enable interrupt-driven operation"

What this message is teling me? Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you in advance!

Yasuki Izaki

From: "Yasuki Izaki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help on the problem: Serial port losing the parameters after re-boot ....
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 09:43:13 -0700

Hello,

I installed RH6.1 to a Gateway PC which has only one serial port.
I added a second serial card (SIIG). Then used setserial to configure the
port

setserial ttyS3 port 0xeff0 uart 16550A irq 9

Everytime the system is rebooted, the port lose the value (e.g. i/o address,
irq number)
Does anybody know what's problem is and how to fix it?
Thank you in advance!

Yasuki Izaki
Please e-mail me [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Subject: Re: IDE or SCSI CD-RW?
Date: 24 Apr 2000 13:25:39 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JEDIDIAH) writes:

>       SCSI2 cards are down to $30 these days. The cost of the
>       interface is simply not a factor anymore. OTOH: prices for SCSI
>       disks are somewhat 'dissuasive'.

For a basic card, anyway.  Which is all you need for slow devices like
CD, tape and removable-media disks.

OTOH, for hard drives, you need a high-performing card (Ultra-Wide,
Ultra2, or Ultra3) to match EIDE's performance, and those cards will
probably cost you between $100 and $300.

>       As far as burners go, the price difference between SCSI and IDE
>       are relatively negligble (~10%). These days, I think the issue
>       of taking up a PCI slot with the SCSI card would be far more of
>       an issue than the cost of the interface card or the extra cost
>       of a SCSI burner.

Keep in mind that the original poster already had a strip-down SCSI card
from another device, so he'd be replacing one card with another.  In
other words, he's not giving up a slot.

-- David

------------------------------

From: "hugo hallqvist" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: slackware install on 486dx
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 19:28:52 +0200

I have tried to install slackware 7 to an old 486 dx2/66 ovedrive, 8 meg
memory, 2+0,4 gig scsi disk on aha1542b. First, the bootdisk takes about ten
times longer than normal to boot. When I'm asked to insert the root-disk it
loads it happily, without being slow.. After it has loaded, the kernel says
"bus-error" four times, before it tries to go down.. it hangs, when it tries
to reboot.. Have to reset it manually.. I have tried aha1542 bootdisk and
no_pci.s bootdisk.. both detects the scsiadapter and it's drives fine, but
then this "bus-error" comes. Anyone knows what it means? What can I do about
it? The computer runs win98 quite happily, well it swaps a little bit.. ;-),
but I have noted no stability problems yet in win98..

Maybe I should mention that the mobo has got apm- capabilites, could this be
the source of the problem?

What is the cmd640 and rz1000(??) chipset fix that you could choose in the
kernel? Could this have something to do with it?

Help appreciated!

Hugo

------------------------------

From: Andreas Maunz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BT878 TV-Karte unter Linux
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 17:21:30 GMT

Sorry for me posting in German to this NG :-)

Ich versuche, meine FlyVideo II Karte (Bt 878) unter Linux (SuSE 6.4)
zum Laufen zu bringen...
Das Skript /usr/doc/packages/bttv/update läuft bei mir nicht ohne
Fehler:
In der Zeile 'insmod i2c verbose=1 scan=1 i2c_debug=0' kriege ich
folgende Meldung:
'insmod: i2c: no module by that name found'.

Der restliche Skript (insmod videodev, insmod tuner, insmod msp3400,
insmod bttv) läuft problemlos...
Any help??

--
"Vergangenheit und Zukunft sind in Wahrheit nichts weiter als geschickte
Täuschung"

--
"Vergangenheit und Zukunft sind in Wahrheit nichts weiter als geschickte
Täuschung"
-Albert Einstein

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: partition limit
Date: 24 Apr 2000 13:35:31 EDT

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 16:27:53 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<<8e1slk$qai$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>does linux have a limit on the number of partitions you can create on a
>single drive?

Yes, but it's not usually a problem.  The device files run from /dev/hda
to /dev/hda63 for IDE, meaning you can have 62 partitions.  (3 primary, 1
extended, 59 logical.)  SCSI disks are limited to 15 partitions.  This is
usually enough for most peoples' needs.  If you really want more
partitions than that, I suppose you could hack the kernel source or check
out devfs....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: 24 Apr 2000 13:35:45 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stewart Honsberger) writes:

> Any HDD over 6GiB is reccomended to sit in a 5 1/4" bay with a HDD
> cooling unit. HDD coolers are relatively inexpensive, and could save
> you lots of trouble and expense somewhere down the road.

Not true.  Drive size is unrelated to temperature.

Temperature of the chips is a function of the speed the chip is clocked
at.  This should be 33MHz or 66MHz for a UDMA drive.  If you overclock
the IDE bus, then you're overclocking the chips - possibly causing
overheating.

Temperature of the drive mechanism itself is a function of the spindle
speed (7200 RPM runs hotter than 5400 RPM, and 10,000 RPM runs hotter
than 7200 RPM) and the number of platters in the case.

As for where you should mount the drive, the answer is any place where
you get enough airflow to keep the drive within its normal operating
temperatures.  If you do this by placing it in a 5.25" bay alongside
some extra fans, then that's fine.  If you place it vertically at the
front of an ATX case (where Dell and Micron put their drives), that's
also fine.  If you leave your case wide open and aim a 15" fan at it,
that's also good (albeit inconvenient.)

One importatnt thing to keep in mind is the direction the air is flowing
through your case.  If you add a fan that blows in the wrong direction,
you may end up impeding airflow instead of increasing it.  This will
cause your heat problem to get worse!

In other words, if you're having a problem, you've got to think about
what you're doing.  Don't just throw fans at a problem and expect it to
go away like magic.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Floppy format problem.
Date: 24 Apr 2000 13:44:51 -0400

"Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Has anyone successfully formatted a 5.25" double-density 360K floppy
> diskette on a high-density 1.2 Meg floppy drive under Linux,
> specifically RedHat 6.0?  Or any version of Linux?
>
> I use the command:
>   fdformat /dev/fd0d360

use /dev/fd0h360

        d360 is for 360K drives
        h360 is for 360K disks in 1.2M drives

man fd(4) for more information.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 24 Apr 2000 13:45:46 -0400

"David .." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> You might try   fdformat /dev/fd0H360

See the man page for fd(4).

H360 is for formatting a 360K disk in a 1.44M 3.5" drive.

You want h360 for a 360K disk in a 1.2M 5.25" drive.

-- David

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David C.)
Date: 24 Apr 2000 13:50:41 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> does linux have a limit on the number of partitions you can create on
> a single drive?

It depends on your hardware architecture.

For X86 PC hardware, you can have up to four primary partitions.

You can designate one of these primary partitions to be an extended
partition.  Extended partitions may contain an unilimited (up to the
number of /dev entries for the drive) number of partitions.

Partitions 1-4 (eg: /dev/hda1 ... /dev/hda4) are the primary partitions.

Partitions 5-16 (eg: /dev/hda5 ... /dev/hda16) are partitions that are
contained within the extened partition.  DOS/Windows calls these
"logical drives".

For other architectures (SPARC, Mac, etc.), there will be other limits.

-- David

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2000 22:57:20 -0700

Actually, bigger drives are sometimes cooler, because they have newer chips
with lower powers.  In some cases (no prunch intended), disconecting the
fan leads to lower overall temperature.  The fan itself makes approx. 10W
of heat.