Linux-Hardware Digest #738, Volume #13           Mon, 16 Oct 00 12:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Modem Multiplexing > HOW ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Canon BJC-265SP ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  ACPI question (Alex Deucher)
  Re: HP35480A scsi tape drive config (-ljl-)
  ABIT CC? (manny)
  Re: dds3 streamer density code ("Gene Heskett")
  kgcc and RH7 (Alex Deucher)
  Re: dds3 streamer density code (jwk)
  cdrecord and smart and friendly mach 12 (Alex Deucher)
  Are linux drivers for i810e AMR modems and AC97 sound capabilities in the works?
("mnip")
  Re: Adaptec 29160N problem (Ant Sims)
  Re: asus a7v m/b (Bharath Krishnan)
  Re: 10base2 hubs, where can I find one? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Modem Multiplexing > HOW ? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: 10base2 hubs, where can I find one? ("Barry Smith")
  Smurf music with AC97 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: If you had these 2 nic cards.... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  USB modem (mEgA)
  Re: 10base2 hubs, where can I find one? (Lew Pitcher)
  Pls recommend a PC vendor (Dama)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Modem Multiplexing > HOW ?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:48:19 GMT

I have 4 dial up lines and I would like to connect four modems to a
Linux box and get it to multiplex them for better throughput.  Does
anyone have any experience or pointers for this ??

Ta,

Matt Lemon.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 22:08:59 +0700
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Canon BJC-265SP

Hi,

Has anyone tried out the Canon BJC-265SP Bubblejet printer on Linux?  I
have Redhat 6.2 and am considering purchasing one.  I haven't been able
to find anything on hardware.redhat.com.

Regards,
John Bell
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:09:46 -0400
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: ACPI question

I'm fairly new to acpi.  I have it compiled into my kernel, and it seems
to setup fine upon boot.  I have the appropriate entries in /proc/sys.
I compiled and installed acpid,etc.  and all of that seemed to go fine.
Now I guess my question is how do I use it?  How do I set the power
management options?  How do I set it up to turn off my pc when I shut
down?  Perhaps these options aren't available as of yet. I can't seem to
find this info anywhere, and the acpi FAQ seems to more detail the
technical aspects rather than using/seting up the features. Any help
would be much appreciated.
Please reply to me directly when you reply as I cannot always get access
to this list.

Thanks,

Alex

------------------------------

From: -ljl- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.redhat,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: HP35480A scsi tape drive config
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:08:15 GMT

In article <70DG5.324081$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Guy Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have loaded Red Hat 6.2 on an old PC.  Most everything is working
OK,
> except for an HP35480 DAT drive.  The device is seen at boot (see next
-
> dump from dmesg)

> ----------------------------------
> Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
> st0: Error with sense data: [valid=0] Info fld=0x0, Current st09:00:
sense
> key Not Ready

Here you'll find some switch setting for your drive:
  http://www.iohk.com/UserPages/wsyoung/12000e.html

got numerous other hits using:
  http://www.northernlight.com

Looks like '/usr/src/linux/scsi/st.c' is complaining:
 printk(KERN_WARNING "st%d: Error with sense data: ", dev);

  ? fatal ^^^^^^^^^ ?

---
Louis-ljl-{ Louis J. LaBash, Jr. }

From: manny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ABIT CC?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 14:10:13 GMT

I've been trying to access the website fot the "ABIT CC" monitor (I
think the link is http://salebios.tiger2.net/~aug/ ). I have not been
able to connect to this site for the past 4 days. I need to install a
mobo temp monitor for my ABIT KT7. Anyone know of an alternate site for
this app? Or is there an alternate application (free) elsewhere?

Date: 16 Oct 2000 9:47:4 -0500
From: "Gene Heskett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: dds3 streamer density code

Unrot13 this;
Reply to: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Gene Heskett sends Greetings to achim ;

> Hi!
> I have a problem withe the DDS3 Streamer Sony dts9000 (native
> 12GByte) under Linux 2.2.16 (SuSE 7.0) and a Adaptec 2940UW SCSI
> Controller. The Drive  write only 8GByte on a DDS3 tape who can
> store 12 GByte native or up to 24 GByte with compression.

> The mt output (mt -f /dev/nrmt0 status) (GNU mt version 2.4.2):

AFAIK this is a very old version of mt.  I have no idea how it got into
a distro as new as your SuSE 7.0.  ISTR the version shipping with late
redhats etc is 5.0b.

I'd update that first, just to see if the newer one knows about DDS3.

> drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
> drive status = 318767616
> sense key error = 0
> residue count = 0
> file number = 0
> block number = 0
> Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
> Soft error count since last status=0
> General status bits on (41010000):

> I think the problem is the density code 0x13 with 61000 bpi. But
> DDS3-Media need a density of 122000 bpi but i can't change this
> value up to 122000 bpi.

> There is no density code for DDS3 when i typed in the command  mt
> densities.
> In the drive-manual i can't find anything about density-codes. And
> when i try to change the density code to anything, the drive seems
> to ignore this.

Some drives could have a parameter locking jumper, I've seen it
mentioned once, quite some time back up the log now.  Your docs should
discuss it if it exists.

Cheers, Gene
--
  Gene Heskett, CET, UHK       |Amiga A2k Zeus040, Linux @ 400mhz
        email gene underscore heskett at iolinc dot net

Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:42:57 -0400
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: kgcc and RH7

I have redhat 7 installed and am trying to get the test kernels to
compile.  I have heard that there are issues with gcc 2.96.  I have kgcc
installed, but I'm not sure how to use it.  I have tried the following
and it still seems to be using gcc.  Also when I do use gcc (not kgcc),
the kernel compiles but it takes about 4-5 times as long as it did under
RH 6.1.  The kernel even boots, but several modules fail to work.

Here's what I have tried:

1. Changing "hostcc" in the top level Makefile to kgcc

2. setting CC=kgcc as an environment variable and then compiling

3. typing "CC=kgcc make dep modules etc."

Yet when it starts compling each line in the output says gcc rather than
kgcc, and I get LOTS of warnings about "nothing can be pasted after this
token." Is this right?  I never got this under the old rh6.1 gcc. It
also takes 4-5 times longer to compile in rh7.

Please reply to me directly as I can't always get to this list.

Thanks,

Alex

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jwk)
Date: 16 Oct 2000 15:01:12 GMT

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:53:32 +0200, achim
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi!
>I have a problem withe the DDS3 Streamer Sony dts9000 (native 12GByte)
>under Linux 2.2.16 (SuSE 7.0) and a Adaptec 2940UW SCSI Controller. The
>Drive  write only 8GByte on a DDS3 tape who can store 12 GByte native or
>up to 24 GByte with compression.
>
>The mt output (mt -f /dev/nrmt0 status) (GNU mt version 2.4.2):
>drive type = Generic SCSI-2 tape
>drive status = 318767616
>sense key error = 0
>residue count = 0
>file number = 0
>block number = 0
>Tape block size 512 bytes. Density code 0x13 (DDS (61000 bpi)).
>Soft error count since last status=0
>General status bits on (41010000):
>
>I think the problem is the density code 0x13 with 61000 bpi. But
>DDS3-Media need a density of 122000 bpi but i can't change this value up
>to 122000 bpi.
>
>There is no density code for DDS3 when i typed in the command  mt
>densities.
>In the drive-manual i can't find anything about density-codes. And when
>i try to change the density code to anything, the drive seems to ignore
>this.
>
>Can anyone help me ?
>Thanks

I have a sony DDT-5000, and it has the same problem: the density stays
at 0x13, whatever I try. I can fit 3.5 Gb on a tape (dds2 native should
be 4 Gb) so it doesn't worry me too much, but it irks. The next one
won't be a Sony! I suppose you should try your luck with Sony technical
support.

Jurriaan

--
BOFH excuse #113:

Root nameservers are out of sync
GNU/Linux 2.2.18pre15 SMP 2x1117 bogomips load av: 0.36 0.51 0.66

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:02:31 -0400
From: Alex Deucher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: cdrecord and smart and friendly mach 12

I have a 1st generation smart and friendly mach 12 12x scsi CDR.  I
haven't found any documented support for this drive in cd-record or
cdrdao, although it seems to work using mmc.  The drive is hanging off
an adaptec 2940.  I have an a atapi 44x cdrom and a 7200rpm ata/66 hd,
both using dma.  I'm using the 2.4.0 test kernels (both redhat's, and
self-complied ones) and redhat 7.  I can't get the drive to burn
reliably.  I can't get it to complete a burn at all from the cdrom, but
from the harddrive I can only get it to run at most 3-4x mode.  If I try
it any faster or using the cdrom as a source, I get either buffer
underruns, if it actually starts burning, or I get errors complaining
about the pre-burn areas and failed commands and responses (I don't
remember off hand the exact messages, I'll look them up and post).

The drive works fine under win98 at all speeds using both the cdrom and
harddrive as sources.  However, I got similar error messages under win98
initially, but a patch to adaptec EZ cd-creator 4 on adaptec's web site
fixed that.

So I guess I'm wondering whether this is a kernel issue, or a
cd-record/cdrdao issue.  I have heard that there are issues with the sg
interface in the newer kernels. I'm using the cdrecord that came with
rh7 and the newest cdrdao (as of a week ago).

Any advice is much appreciated,

Please reply to me directly as I can't always get to these groups.

Thanks,

Alex

------------------------------

From: "mnip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Are linux drivers for i810e AMR modems and AC97 sound capabilities in the
works?
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:01:53 GMT

I'd like to work with low-cost i810e motherboards for some linux terminals I
have to build. I do see mention of i810 support
from OSS (is i810e any different?), and intel has the accelerated X-server
http://support.intel.com/support/graphics/intel810/linuxsoftware.htm, but
what about the AMR modem?

I was hoping that since this was such a common piece of hardware, someone
had found a way to make that 'winmodem' a 'linmodem'.

Thanks for any info.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ant Sims)
Subject: Re: Adaptec 29160N problem
Date: 15 Oct 2000 11:47:27 GMT

On 12 Oct 2000 22:27:05 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>AS> I've got major problems getting an Adaptec 29160N to work under
>AS> Linux. When I insert the aic7xxx module (5.1.31), I get errors of
>AS> the form:
>
>AS> scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid x, scsi0, channel 0,
>AS> id x, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
>
>AS> For the first few IDs, followed by unending:
>
>AS> SCSI host 0 abort (pid x) timed out - resetting SCSI bus is being
>AS> reset for host 0 channel 0.  SCSI host 0 channel 0 reset (pid x)
>AS> timed out - trying harder SCSI bus is being reset for host 0
>AS> channel 0.
>
>i get the same message from time to time, along with messages about
>spurious warnings about "insufficient" or excessive" termination.  at
>first i believed these messages, pulled out the final device, and
>yanked the jumber only to get the opposite message.  like you, i tried
>removing all the cables, too.  i still got the damn messages.  now i
>disable the card bios.  i still get the warnings, but once i get into
>linux things seem to go ok.  so far.

Well, I eventually found the cause of my problem. The IDE controller
was writing c*** to all devices on the PCI bus. Once I disabled UDMA,
the IDE controller behaved itself and the SCSI card worked fine. If
you have a VIA MVP3 motherboard or similar, then you might like to try
this.

--
I apologize if most of what I have written is total rubbish

Ant Sims

From: Bharath Krishnan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: asus a7v m/b
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 11:04:51 -0400

kernel 2.4.0-test8 works fine with my a7v. When you compile, dont forget
support for the promise controller.

-bharath

--
So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
Guns. Lots of guns.

Subject: Re: 10base2 hubs, where can I find one?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 16 Oct 2000 11:18:40 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher) writes:

> >I don't know where you buy your cable, but around here
> >(Toronto area), RG-58 is at least twice the cost of CAT 5
> >cable.  Even more so when purchased in large quantities.  I
> >can buy a 1000' box of CAT 5 for under $80 (CDN).  RG-58
> >would be closer to $200.  BNC connectors are a couple of
> >dollars each, but an RJ45 is just over a buck.

> A couple of years ago, I priced out two alternatives for my at-home
> LAN: 10BaseT vs 10Base2. I was purchasing equipment in Toronto and
> vicinity (Brampton), and had a tight budget. My LAN consists of two
> machines; a 486DX4-80 in the basement, and a 6x86-120 60' away, in a
> second floor den.

[10BT is more expensive than 10B2]

However, we're not talking about networking two computers.  For an
extremely small network, with at most two or three machines, then of
course 10B2 is going to be cheaper.  (Actually, can't you fudge with
the 10BT cable so you don't need a hub, if you're using just two
computers?)

But we're not talking about two or three machines.  We're talking
about, potentially, 31 or more.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Modem Multiplexing > HOW ?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 16 Oct 2000 11:19:40 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I have 4 dial up lines and I would like to connect four modems to a
> Linux box and get it to multiplex them for better throughput.  Does
> anyone have any experience or pointers for this ??

Look at the kernel option about "serial line load balancing" or
somesuch.

--
Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: "Barry Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:18:23 -0500

Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2000 12:50:23 GMT, James Knott
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >I don't know where you buy your cable, but around here
> >(Toronto area), RG-58 is at least twice the cost of CAT 5
> >cable.  Even more so when purchased in large quantities.  I
> >can buy a 1000' box of CAT 5 for under $80 (CDN).  RG-58
> >would be closer to $200.  BNC connectors are a couple of
> >dollars each, but an RJ45 is just over a buck.
>
> A couple of years ago, I priced out two alternatives for my at-home
> LAN: 10BaseT vs 10Base2. I was purchasing equipment in Toronto and
> vicinity (Brampton), and had a tight budget. My LAN consists of two
> machines; a 486DX4-80 in the basement, and a 6x86-120 60' away, in a
> second floor den.
>
> The 10Base2 solution (60' of coax, two BNC connectors, 2 50Ohm
> terminators, 2 'T' connectors) was considerably cheaper than the
> 10BaseT solution (60' of UTP, connectors, crimper (or 50' + 10'
> prepared cable), and a hub). I spent less than $30 on the entire
> 10Base2 cabling installation; the projected price of the equivalent
> 10BaseT setup was over $100 (including the hub). I could have reduced
> the 10BaseT cost to about $40 by dropping the hub and using cross-over
> cable, but I was reluctant to run a cross-over cable through two
> floors only to rip it out and replace it when I expand to three or
> more systems.

Why would you have to rip out the cable?  You included connectors and a
crimper in your estimate.

-Barry

Subject: Smurf music with AC97
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 16 Oct 2000 17:29:26 +0200

I've got a funny little problem here. I've got a PII/733 with an i815
chipset. I've installed sound drivers first with 4front OSS, then with
alsa 0.5.9d.

Both aproaches gave me sound, but not perfectly:
When playing mp3's the speed is always 10-20% to high. Resulting in a
high pitch smurf sound. Any ideas?

Sincerely
Ketil Klepsvik

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: If you had these 2 nic cards....
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:25:21 GMT

I dont think thats ever come up before here in the office.  Just about
all the machines get dual-homed.  After the first one is done, we just
run linuxconf to do up the second one.  When its all set, just stop and
restart the network with:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

and you should be good...

--Dave

Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:52:14 +0200
From: mEgA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USB modem

hi
HARDWARE :
ABIT BP6
128 PC100 RAM
Voodoo3 2000
2x Celeron 500
Mandrake 7.0 / kernel 2.4.0test9 /compiled with usb support {modules}/
i have a usb modem based on STMicrochips
i make like this
/dev/bus/usb/ttyACM0
then
ln -s /dev/bus/usb/ttyACM0 /dev/modem
cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
and i see 2 devices 1 my usb printer------and here i don't see any
problems it works !!!
on line S .......HP DJ930C
and.....nothing
when i disconect my usb modem
2 device is gone and thats good.....
when i connect linux automaticly say me ....cant connect to any
driver...
IS My modem a ACM modem
i install all needed drivers
when i'll  try to run a minicom...
he said cant connect to /dev/modem dosen't exist...
or something
is my modem a winmodem ?
can any one help me ?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lew Pitcher)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 15:55:21 GMT

On 16 Oct 2000 11:18:40 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>However, we're not talking about networking two computers.

<grin mode=sheepish>
Sorry, I jumped in late and missed the important stuff
</grin>

>For an
>extremely small network, with at most two or three machines, then of
>course 10B2 is going to be cheaper.  (Actually, can't you fudge with
>the 10BT cable so you don't need a hub, if you're using just two
>computers?)

Certainly, just put a cross-over 10BaseT cable in the path. But it
_does_ limit you to two computers until you get rid of the xover cable
and install a hub.

>But we're not talking about two or three machines.  We're talking
>about, potentially, 31 or more.

Having now gone back and read the original post (and some of the
replies), I'd not recommend 10Base2 anywhere in the configuration. I'm
no network designer, but it occurs to me that Cat 3 UTP can carry both
10BaseT and voice (different wire pairs). It should be possible to
build the required LAN without dragging any more wire, by using the
existing telephone connections. Would this be feasable?

>--
>Eric McCoy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Lew Pitcher
Information Technology Consultant
Toronto Dominion Bank Financial Group

([EMAIL PROTECTED])

Subject: Pls recommend a PC vendor
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dama)
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 16:07:36 GMT

Hi

I plan to get a new desktop for xmas.  I plan to dual boot Linux and
Win2000Pro.  What I want is a PC vendor that fits the following:

a) will sell me a bare system, with no OS or software of any kind (and
will give me a discount for it, of course, i.e., not charge me for the
software anyway).

b) will give me the most bang for the buck with decent warranty.  I don't
care about tech support at all.  I do want them to ship replacement
quickly when something breaks.

c) will give me choice of AMD or Intel.

d) have quiet PCs.  I just can't stand noisy PCs anymore.  It drives me
batty.

I currently have a Dell.  Happy with it, it runs great.  When something
breaks, they send replacement quickly, no fuss no muss.  But Dell insists
on selling me a system w/ s/w on it (at least from their web site
anyway), and they only use intel.

TIA