Linux-Hardware Digest #781, Volume #9            Fri, 19 Mar 99 21:14:23 EST

Contents:
  Re: Almost There, Please Help! (Tim Moore)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session     ("M. le
Rutte")
  Re: Ega Video Card/Montior (Chuck Slivkoff)
  2 video card, linux, and windows
  Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive (emanuele)
  Re: Hardware drivers... and a lot more! (Mircea)
  Re: "Select the application, and then the platform" (Martin)
  help! eicon diva t/a modem doesn't work under linux. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?) (Steve)
  No hassle sound card for Redhat (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session  (Bill Anderson)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session     ("M. le
Rutte")
  Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Bloody Viking)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session falls flat) (jim)
  Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session    falls flat)
(jedi)
  Re: jaz jet scsi / etherexpress pro IRQ problem... ("Frank Dziuba")
  Re: optra e+ ("T. Tjioe")
  ATI Xpert under Linux only does 640 x 480 ?!?! ("Andrew Roberts")
  Re: Adaptec Ethernet Cards ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Multi-channel soundcard for Linux (Jesper Thorhauge)

From: Tim Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Almost There, Please Help!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:25 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Welcome to sane-devel

you can send mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> with the following

    unsubscribe sane-devel

or from another account, besides [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

    unsubscribe sane-devel [EMAIL PROTECTED]

list itself) send email to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> .
to contact a human.

 Here's the general information for the list you've subscribed to,
 in case you don't already have it:

This list is for the discussion of SANE development-related issues.
SANE stands for "Scanner Access Now Easy" and defines a standardized
interface to access image-acquisition devices such as scanners, still
cameras, video cameras, or frame grabbers.

Anybody is welcome to subscribe to this list and contribute to SANE
development.  For more information, please refer to SANE home page at:

        http://www.mostang.com/sane/

To subscribe to this list, send a mail with a body of "subscribe
sane-devel" to [EMAIL PROTECTED]  An archive of this mailing
list can be found at:

        http://www.mostang.com/mail-archive/sane-devel/

--
[Replies: make the double y a single]

"Everything is permitted.  Nothing is forbidden."
                                   WS Burroughs.

------------------------------

From: "M. le Rutte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:35 GMT

jedi wrote:
>         Much like telling her that she should press some keys to
>         logoff or shut the machine down or that she is going to
>         have to remember for herself under what contexts an item
>         dropped in the shell is going to move, copy or symlink.

Yes, thats totally wrong too. I can't explain to them when a copy or a
move action occurs and what keys to use to influence that. Even though I
show it a thousand times they still do not understand that, or forget it
one week later. As I live on the other end of The Netherlands I can't
come by to show them and have to do it by phone, or wait for my next
visit.

On the other side, they managed to copy some files from a floppy to the
HD, something they never could using a CLI.

Maurice.

------------------------------

From: Chuck Slivkoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ega Video Card/Montior
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:08 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Will it be work with just text based linux(no graphics,
> x-windows.....)I am going to get an old 486 and can get these
> parts for cheap(mon,vid card)Its slakware newest ver as well as
> the kernel

Should work just fine, just don't plan on running X ...

-chuck

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 2 video card, linux, and windows
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:12 GMT

Ok, here is my situation.
I have a Genoa V-Raptor 3D(Rendition Verite 2200 chip set)
and a S3 Virge.
Right now there is not an accelerated server for the Verite
but there is for the virge.  I want to use the Verite in
Windows so I can have OpenGL and the Virge in linux so I
can have an accelerated X server.
How do I do this?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: emanuele <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Migrating RH Linux 5.2 to new hard drive
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:25:32 GMT

If destination (i.e. /dev/hdb1) has been created with the exact size of
source
(i.e.: /dev/hda2), then starting with boot floppy and root floppy you
can try
this:

        dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/dev/hdb1

Good luck.

emanuele

Greg Waugh wrote:

> Hey fellow Linux users!  I'm going to be moving my current RedHat 5.2
Linux

------------------------------

From: Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Hardware drivers... and a lot more!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:49 GMT

Yes, _really_ clever to post advertising about Windows drivers in a
Linux newsgroup...

MST

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Martin )
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: "Select the application, and then the platform"
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:26:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Todd Bandrowsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>This is probably for the same reason that CORBA is not equivalent to
>ActiveX
>>- X was designed as a cross-platform networked graphics system, not a GUI.
..

>>Borland made some minor changes to C++ several years ago which made it
>>genuinely event driven, but they were forced to take them out.
>
>Do you refer to those thingies that were in Borland C++ for Windows 3.x?
>That was probably the smartest thing that anyone could have ever done to
>C++, and it was incredibly short sited for Borland to remove them.

Here, here!  The early Borland C++ was a truely wonderful environment to build
in, then they went down the MS route and lost it...

Still, they did at least give us Delphi - who needs anything else???

Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: help! eicon diva t/a modem doesn't work under linux.
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:17:02 GMT

When I try to use my diva t/a under linux all looks well; the chat script
passes off to pppd after it connects at 128k.  After about 15 seconds PPPD
fails and says "no response to pap authenticate request."

Does anyone have any ideas?  Thanks for your help!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve)
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots? (Re: X munges the graphics card?)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:48:31 GMT

I agree with most of what you have said Richard.

In a nutshell my belief has always been,

"Select the application, and then the platform"

If you need an application to control robotics that manufacturer
widgets and the best version is available for Solaris, then that is
the way you must go.

Scripting and configuration is an area where nix's have a huge
advantage and don't get me wrong vi and Emacs as well as slrn and the
others I mentioned are fine programs but the average user is not going
to be interested in them after using Outlook or Agent etc, UNLESS they
have very specific needs that those programs can address.

By going back to the 70's I meant a green screen cli interface.
It was a stupid comment on my part anyhow :(

Steve

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: No hassle sound card for Redhat
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:19:05 GMT

I have an old Pro Audio Spectrum 16 (PAS16) in my system that I have not been
able to get to run.  So, I want to get a new sound card.

I don't have  many requirements for the sound card, since I don't play any
games on the machine.  Just something to make some noise every once in a
while, like while using TiK (AIM client in Tcl/Tk).

However, one of the requirements that I have is that the card just plug in,
configure the kernel appropriately, compile, load and boot.  That is, I don't
want to fiddle with PnP sound cards, and I'm out of PCI slots, so it has to be
ISA.  Any recommendations?

On the other hand, if you know how to configure the PAS16 to run with the
2.0.36 kernel on Redhat 5.1, I'll be happy to listen to recommendations.

Below is what I've tried so far with the PAS16 - note the '()' in the sndstat
output, indicating that some devices are not enabled

Thanks!

        Stu

[excerpt from the config file]:

#
# Automatically generated by make menuconfig: don't edit
#

#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1370 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SONICVIBES is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDCLAS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSNDPIN is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=y
CONFIG_SOUND_PAS=y
CONFIG_PAS_IRQ=7
CONFIG_PAS_DMA=1
CONFIG_PAS_JOYSTICK=y
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=y
CONFIG_SB_BASE=220
CONFIG_SB_IRQ=5
CONFIG_SB_DMA=1
CONFIG_SB_DMA2=5
CONFIG_SB_MPU_BASE=330
CONFIG_SB_MPU_IRQ=-1
CONFIG_SOUND_ADLIB=y
# CONFIG_SOUND_GUS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MPU401 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_PSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MSS is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SSCAPE is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_TRIX is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAD16 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_CS4232 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA2 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_MAUI is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SGALAXY is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_OPL3SA1 is not set
# CONFIG_SOUND_SOFTOSS is not set
CONFIG_SOUND_YM3812=y
CONFIG_SOUND_VMIDI=m
# CONFIG_SOUND_UART6850 is not set

#
# Additional low level sound drivers
#
# CONFIG_LOWLEVEL_SOUND is not set

[Output of 'cat /dev/sndstat']:

OSS/Free:3.8s2++-971130
Load type: Driver compiled into kernel
Kernel: Linux c49395-a 2.0.36 #4 Mon Mar 15 00:14:56 EST 1999 i486
Config options: 0

Installed drivers:
Type 1: OPL-2/OPL-3 FM
Type 3: ProAudioSpectrum
Type 26: MPU-401 (UART)
Type 2: Sound Blaster
Type 29: Sound Blaster PnP
Type 7: SB MPU-401

Card config:
(ProAudioSpectrum at 0x388 irq 7 drq 1)
Sound Blaster at 0x220 irq 5 drq 1,5
(SB MPU-401 at 0x330 irq 1 drq 0)
(OPL-2/OPL-3 FM at 0x388 drq 0)

Audio devices:
0: Sound Blaster (8 BIT/MONO ONLY) (2.0)

Synth devices:

Midi devices:
0: Sound Blaster

Timers:
0: System clock

Mixers:

------------------------------

From: Bill Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:51:21 GMT

Jeff Szarka wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 13:03:33 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
> wrote:
>
> :On 14 Mar 1999 12:21:03 -0600, Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>On Sun, 14 Mar 1999 16:43:45 +0000, Michael McConnell
> :><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>
> :>:On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Don wrote:
> :>:
> :>:> Gerhard Traeger wrote:
> :>:> >
> :>:> > On 14 Mar 1999 01:49:07 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka) wrote:
> :>:> >
> :>:> > > Problem: I want to change my resolution.
> :>:> >
> :>:> > > Linux:
> :>:> > > Edit config files and god know's what else
> :>:> >
> :>:> > He?
> :>:> > Where´ve you got this one?
> :>:> > Changing spatial resolution for X-servers is done by pressing
> :>:> > <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "+"> or <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "-">
> :>:>
> :>:> I saw this and just thought I would add that it doesnt work for me. And
> :>:> I still got a lot of stuff that doesnt work in the linux windows. After
> :>:> 4 installs, I did get it to basically work, but it wont do anything once
> :>:> you start it. I probably need to edit about 40 files to fix each
> :>:> problem.
> :>:
> :>:If your XF86Config file is set up only for one resolution it won't work. If,
> :>:like mine and Gerhard's setups where multiple resolutions have been
> :>:configured, it works really well. Though, I have to admit I only use it to
> :>:simulate full-screen on my TV card.
> :>
> :>
> :>So.........I still have to edit files?
> :
> :       No, you'll just have to rerun the configuration applet,
> :       much like you would have to do under Windows. The one
> :       in Windows is just prettier.
> :
>
> Funny thing about that, when I set more then one resolution it makes a
> virtual desktop, which I hate..so..........Looks like more editing
> huh?

No, again.

1) which config tool are you using?
2) if that one doesn't work try another. Using Xconfigurator? Try
XF86Setup. You can easily set up more than one in XF86Setup.

> :>
> :>Oh yea but...
> :>
> :>"Perhaps, before complaining about missing capabilities of linux,
> :>you should first try to ask how to do things properly."
> :
> :       Or mebbe you should have set the options you actually
> :       wanted when they were being spoonfed to you the first
> :       time.
>
> I change resolutions quite a bit, why should it be such a
> inconvenience to change a stupid setting?

It isn't.
You are trying to make it that way.

And *if* you *really* want to edit, there is but the *one* (1) file,
XF86Config to edit for your xserver resolution.
Assuming there is only one way to do something in linux is not a wise
assumption. Insisting it is, when given other methods, is ridiculous.

------------------------------

From: "M. le Rutte" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:57:08 GMT

From: Bloody Viking <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Is Windows for idiots?
Date: 19 Mar 1999 13:58:11 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Richard Steiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: BTW, I'm a mainframer who plays with a lot of code which was originally
: written in the 60's.  Calling something a fallback to the 70's is not
: always an insult.  ;-)

I bet you love Linux on your PC as a result. :) You came from the days
when men were men and the code was tight. Too bad y'all coded in the Y2K
bug and didn't fix it when the companies upgraded.

--
CAUTION: Email Spam Killer in use. Leave this line in your reply! 152680
       Humans never fly. They either ride a flying bus or drive it.

3727703 bytes of spam mail deleted.           http://www.wwa.com/~nospam/

------------------------------

From: jim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: X munges the graphics card? (Re: Windows 2000 Rah! Rah! Session falls
flat)
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:03:45 GMT

Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I thought linux was about being "free" I would like to be "free" to
> change resolutions easily.

> It's not about the color, it's about the fact that If I'm trying to
> show a group of people a web page or something it's easier to show
> them it at 640x480 so they can see it from further away. With 9x/nt
> it's a few clicks away.

Ctrl-Alt-Keypadplus.

--
jim
--

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jedi)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 19 Mar 1999 14:04:31 GMT

On 18 Mar 1999 03:52:00 -0600, Jeff Szarka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
>:
>:> On 14 Mar 1999 01:49:07 -0600, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka) wrote:
>:>
>:> > Problem: I want to change my resolution.
>:>
>:> > Linux:
>:> > Edit config files and god know's what else
>:>
>:> He?
>:> Where´ve you got this one?
>:> Changing spatial resolution for X-servers is done by pressing
>:> <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "+"> or <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<Num "-">
>:>
>:> Way simpler than searching for the "desktop - properties - settlings" icons!
>:>
>:
>:No, I don't think this is "way simpler".  (Me: longtime linux user, admin,
>:hacker, programmer, etc.)  The poster has a -very- valid point that system
>:configuration needs to have a canonical and easy to drill-down interface.  A key
>:sequence is bad, because you have to memorize it.  It's also bad because it's
>:hard to document.  (Where -is- it documented?  By whom? The Linux distribution
>:maker, or XFree, or the window manager programmer?)
>:
>:Having configurations in one place (like, starting in the properties tool)
>:-eliminates- the need for documentation about where to find it.  This is -the-
>:scalable solution.  It's just good software engineering that something that
>:eliminates the need to document is usu. better.
>:
>:Although I'm an experienced Linux user, I wish that Linux was better in this
>:respect.  Most people want to get a job done, or do their particular thing.  For
>:me, that's doing OO programming on Linux.  Every minute I spend learning how to
>:tune/configure X-Windows is a minute wasted.
>:
>:>
>:> Perhaps, before complaining about missing capabilities of linux,
>:> you should first try to ask how to do things properly.
>:>
>:
>:It's too bad that one -has- to ask how to change a system property...
>:
>:- Robb
>

>I'm not trying to get in on any religious war here.  I'm not in anyway
>trying to disrespect linux but I think many long time linux users
>forget that people don't have the time to relearn all these things. I
>picked up the basics of linux, it wasn't for me. I plan to try it
>again when there is another big milestone.
>
>I just want to point out the flaws from an outsiders view, you guys
>talk about just rerunning your xconfigurator, sure it's not hard. I
>can even do it and i've only used linux a little bit, but do you
>really think your average computer user who plays quake and checks his
>mail could do this? I'm sure he *could* but he wouldn't want to, and

        Considering that the motivations to switch videomodes
        lessens considerably over time. This is not at all the
        big problem that you make it out to be. Pedestrian users
        are not making great use of that 'windows facility' to
        begin with.

[deletia]

        Nevermind that Xconfigurator is not at all complicated
        to deal with. It's primary problem is the uglyiess of
        it's character cell interface.

--

  "I was not elected to watch my people suffer and die     |||
   while you discuss this a invasion in committe."        / | \

        In search of sane PPP docs? Try http://penguin.lvcm.com

------------------------------

From: "Frank Dziuba" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: jaz jet scsi / etherexpress pro IRQ problem...
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:20:13 GMT

No good. Neither device lets you set the IRQ because they are both PNP PCI
cards

------------------------------

From: "T. Tjioe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: optra e+
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:21:38 GMT

Todd L. Cohen wrote in message <7c45mi$b7o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>printer and I'm having a hard time finding one that 1) works well with
>linux and 2) is relativly cheap (under $400 or so)

The E+ is a PCL printer, and should function fine with a generic PCL printer
description, like the HP laserjet //.  I think with any *NIX derivation,
it's better to go with an inexpensive PostScript printer though.

You may want to look at the new Lexmark Optra E310, which has full PS Level
2 emulation, 8ppm, USB and parallel ports as standard. - MSRP is $400.
Street price should be slightly lower. This printer replaces the Ep, which
was essentially the E+ with a special PostScript 2 emulation SIMM inside.  I
know a kid at school that has one of these running under Linux too.  You
might still be able to find the Ep at a good price online.

My Optra RT+ worked perfectly under Caldera, and Irix 5.3 - in the
Postscript emulation mode.

Cya,
-T
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Clarkson University

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Roberts" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ATI Xpert under Linux only does 640 x 480 ?!?!
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:22:03 GMT

I have installed Redhat Linux 5.2 And everything is (appears :-)  ) to be
working fine exvcept my graphics card under X-Windows

It is an ATI Xpert@Play PCI 4MB and even when I select Xpert@Play from the
list of cards on installation (and select my Samsung SyncMaster 3Ne from the
list) I have to manually choose screen modes and do select all relevent
ones.  However the system will only boot into 640x480 no matter what.  It
tells me there is no setting info for 1024x768 and 800x600 or something.
Does anyone know how to install this card under said version of Linux.  As
it is a popular card I would have thought this was a common problem.  Any
help would be appreciated.  I don't mind reinstalling the whole of Linux as
it only take s afew minutes.

An email reply would be appreciated if possible, and in case you need to
know the full machine spec is:

K6 300 on a Tekram board with 512K cache
64Mb SDRAM
3.5Gb IDE UDMA Drive (450Mb partition for Linux and 50Mb partition for swap)
Internal 24x CD-Rom
Internal IDE Zip drive
ISA Soundblaster AWE 64 (Haven't a clue where to start on that but not
bothered about sound anyway :-)  )
ISA Rockwell Chipset v90 modem
Realtek network card

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Adaptec Ethernet Cards
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:24:34 GMT

the pci 32bits are supported by the tulip.c driver.  I am not aware of nay
support for the 64 bits cards.

Martin

From: Jesper Thorhauge <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.music.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.soundcard.music,rec.audio.pro
Subject: Re: Multi-channel soundcard for Linux
Date: 19 Mar 1999 20:27:00 GMT

Your gonna get a hard time finding drivers for pro-soundcards. I don't
think any pro-audio producer has accepted linux as soundrecording
platform....But good luck - i know you need help - but i'm just tryin' to
give you the sad facts...

JT