Linux-Hardware Digest #781, Volume #13           Wed, 25 Oct 00 10:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  unixware 7.0 hangs (Janis Ivanovskis)
  Re: Jaz 1G removable hard-drive (CDM)
  Re: my computer froze (Nick Bishop)
  Re: Exabyte 8505 SCSI tape drive (Tim Coupar)
  Re: linux ide raid controller (jwk)
  HELP: Where is the rescue system kernal? (Nick Bishop)
  RedHat 7 and ABIT KT7-RAID ("Alim")
  timeout waiting for DMA ("Jesus M. Salvo Jr.")
  Running Linux on a dual processor MSI 6321 motherboard ("W. C. Senior")
  Re: Please recommend a webcam and good SW for it. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Configure M$ keyboard (Robert Coehoorn)
  Help! Soudblaster setup in Mandrake 7.1 (Neil Blue)
  Re: internal zip drive read problems, A7VKT133 (Ron Slootbeek)
  Re: Please recommend a webcam and good SW for it. (Georg Acher)
  Re: DMA Problems, hda lost interrupt..!! ("Rick Bestany")
  modem for compaq presario (phil)
  BT Home Highway & the Speedway Terminal Adapter ("Andy Harcup")
  Re: linux ide raid controller (Philipp Cain)
  Re: New install of RedHat 7.0 (Arnstein Oseland)
  OLICOM ISA/IV 2173 driver needed (Alexey Gimadiev)

From: Janis Ivanovskis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: unixware 7.0 hangs
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:02:04 +0000

When i try to mount cd under sco unixware 7.0 it hangs.
Where could be the problem.
During installation process all is ok, there is no problems regarding
to cd.
I also applied 7,0,1 patches, but that could not be the problem, i
think so.

Thanks

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (CDM)
Subject: Re: Jaz 1G removable hard-drive
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:02:57 +0200

"man mount"
use "dmesg" or bootlog to find device

news:8t5v19$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: Nick Bishop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: my computer froze
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:15:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Phil Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >I started to have problems with my PC last week I started to freezing
on
> >me especially when I was on line browsing with netscape
> >
> >I was running linux (red hat 6.2) since may but it newer happend
before

> Hi,
>       in answer to the first question no linux can't damage a pc.  I would
> look at memory first.  Many non starting errors are found there.
>
> Phil

I'd be opening up the pc, taking anti-static precautions, and unplug and
plug everything (including memory).  Look if the CMOS battery has
spilled its guts over the motherboard.  Check fans.  Vacuum dust out.

--
Nick Bishop
=====

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 18:35:27 +0800
From: Tim Coupar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux
Subject: Re: Exabyte 8505 SCSI tape drive

Change the block size to 0 all is fine now thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (jwk)
Subject: Re: linux ide raid controller
Date: 25 Oct 2000 10:50:29 GMT

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:42:28 +0200, Philipp Cain
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hello folks,
>
>my question concerns linux kernel support (2.2.16) for the rather cheap
>ide raid controller cards like Promise Fastrak 100 pro and Abit Hot Rod
>100 Pro.
>
>As far as I know there are some vendor beta drivers around but I would
>prefer a kernel patch. So I had a look at
>http://www.linux-ide.org/chipsets.html.
>According to this list seems to be no support for hardware raid with the
>above controllers.
>
>Is this correct ???

No, because there is no hardware raid on the above controllers. It's all
in the windows-drivers. So you are fine if you use the software raid
linux provides. For the 2.2.x kernels, you need the ide patches from
Andre Hedrick at
ftp.de.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/2.2.x/
as well. However, the results are worth it:

bonnie on an IBM DTLA 46 Gb/7200 rpm ide disk, ATA 100 on Abit Hot Rod
(256 Mb of Ram):
              -------Sequential Output-------- ---Sequential Input-- --Random--
              -Per Char- --Block--- -Rewrite-- -Per Char- --Block--- --Seeks---
Machine    MB K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU K/sec %CPU  /sec %CPU
         1024  7544 100.0 36491 30.2 16072 17.1  6891 97.5 36565 20.6 160.1  1.2

So even without raid, you can get > 35 Mb/s.

Good luck,
Jurriaan
--
Hello and Welcome to the Psychiatric Hotline
If you are manic-depressive, it doesn't matter which number you press

------------------------------

From: Nick Bishop <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP: Where is the rescue system kernal?
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:46:15 GMT

PROBLEM
=======
When I examine the hard disk I see various vmlinuz* files in the /boot
directory.  However, when I boot from the rescue system, I don't see any
such files anywhere.

I'd like to replace the hard disk's kernal with the rescue system's
kernal, so where do I find it?

HARDWARE & SOFTWARE
===================
SuSE 6.4 Evaluation CD - I boot from CD, put in "manual mem=63M" at the
boot: prompt, then make menu choices to start rescue system.

Hardware is Gateway Neo (also known as Astro) 400MHz celeron, 64M
memory, 4.1GB hard disk, with Windoze 98 on hda1, linux on hda5-6-7-8.

WHY????
=======
Because ... when I boot from the hard disk (via lilo floppy) my system
hangs saying "Setting up the CMOS clock"
The rescue system has no such problem with that step.  I'm wanting to
replace the kernal as part of investigating the problem.

THE VMLINUZ* FILES
==================
On hda5 I have:
/boot/vmlinuz          (binary)
/boot/vmlinuz.suse     (binary)
/boot/vmlinuz.autoconfig.h  (C header text)
/boot/vmlinuz.config        (text)
/boot/vmlinuz.version.h     (C header text)

Nothing on CD or "in the system" under rescue mode.

--
Nick Bishop
=====

From: "Alim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: RedHat 7 and ABIT KT7-RAID
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:55:53 +0100

OK. I've been using RedHat since version 5.0 and have just bought a new PC.
Now Windows2K and 98SE as well as 95 are all cool with the hardware, but
Linux has a few 'problems'. Here goes...
My motherboard is an ABIT KT7-RAID and the HD is an IBM 75GXP 30Gb.
Everything else installed fine before. I will try to remove the first
partition on the disk and reinstall linux there, but don't know if it'll
work...

1. It won't install directly to the HD on the HPT370. Obviously, so I moved
it to IDE1:master.

2. Linux installs on IDE1:master, but won't boot afterwards.

The plan was to install on IDE1 then move disk back to RAID1 after
recompiling with support for HPT370. I have 19Gb partitioned space with
Win2k and 98, and wondered if linux requires boot sector below this space.

Also, when recovery mode from boot Cd is run and i try to lilo the disk, it
says no access to /dev/hda is available. While it's still on IDE1!

Answers appreciated.
alim

------------------------------

From: "Jesus M. Salvo Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: timeout waiting for DMA
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:05:51 +0000

I have 2 IDE drives, 1 CDROM, and 1 CDRW:

hda: FUJITSU MPB3043ATU E, ATA DISK drive
hdb: CD-ROM 36X/AKU, ATAPI CDROM drive
hdc: ST317221A, ATA DISK drive
hdd: Hewlett-Packard CD-Writer Plus 7500, ATAPI CDROM drive
<......>
hda: FUJITSU MPB3043ATU E, 4125MB w/0kB Cache, CHS=558/240/63, UDMA
hdc: ST317221A, 16446MB w/512kB Cache, CHS=33416/16/63, UDMA

The 4GB Fujitsu drive is rather old ( more than 2 years now ) while the
17GB Seagate drive is quite new.

I suddently had this need to copy an entire directory tree from hdc6 to
hda7, and I get the following messages:

Oct 25 17:28:05 localhost kernel: hda: timeout waiting for DMA
Oct 25 17:28:05 localhost kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0x58 {
DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

... from time to time during the copy. This would sometimes cause
everything to freeze for about 1 to 2 sec before the message appears.

Heres what I have with hdparm:

[root@localhost log]# /sbin/hdparm -v /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 multcount    =  8 (on)
 I/O support  =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 558/240/63, sectors = 8448300, start = 0

[root@localhost log]# /sbin/hdparm -i /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

 Model=FUJITSU MPB3043ATU E, FwRev=4010, SerialNo=01068064
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs RotSpdTol>.5% }
 RawCHS=8940/15/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=4
 BuffType=0(?), BuffSize=0kB, MaxMultSect=16, MultSect=8
 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=0(slow)
 CurCHS=8940/15/63, CurSects=-382992256, LBA=yes, LBAsects=8448300
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 mword2
 IORDY=yes, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4

[root@localhost log]# /sbin/hdparm -i /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:

 Model=ST317221A, FwRev=3.03, SerialNo=5CV043NP
 Config={ HardSect NotMFM HdSw>15uSec Fixed DTR>10Mbs RotSpdTol>.5% }
 RawCHS=16383/16/63, TrkSize=0, SectSize=0, ECCbytes=4
 BuffType=0(?), BuffSize=512kB, MaxMultSect=2, MultSect=off
 DblWordIO=no, maxPIO=2(fast), DMA=yes, maxDMA=2(fast)
 CurCHS=16383/16/63, CurSects=-66060037, LBA=yes, LBAsects=33683328
 tDMA={min:120,rec:120}, DMA modes: mword0 mword1 mword2
 IORDY=on/off, tPIO={min:240,w/IORDY:120}, PIO modes: mode3 mode4

[root@localhost log]# /sbin/hdparm -v /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 multcount    =  0 (off)
 I/O support  =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 2096/255/63, sectors = 33683328, start = 0

If I turn off DMA on both drives, and retry the copying of the directory
from hdc6 to hda7, I get a different message instead:

Oct 25 17:33:09 localhost kernel: hdc: status timeout: status=0xd0 {
Busy }
Oct 25 17:33:09 localhost kernel: hdc: no DRQ after issuing WRITE
Oct 25 17:33:09 localhost kernel: ide1: reset: success

... again at different times during the copy.

The thing is that, I get neither of these messages even with DMA on if I
make copy of an entire directory tree from hda7 to hdc6.

I can only surmise that it has something to do with the fact that hdc is
newer and faster than hda. Therefore, hdc can keep up with data being
fed from hda, while the other way around is not true, causing the above
messages regardless of DMA setting.

I notice that this kind of message has been appearing for quite some
time. Anybody has the solution?

Thanks,

John

--
Homepage: http://homepages.tig.com.au/~jmsalvo/

------------------------------

From: "W. C. Senior" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Running Linux on a dual processor MSI 6321 motherboard
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:55:29 +0100

Hiya,

I was thinking about buying the MSI 6321 dual processor motherboard,
with
the VIA 694 chipset, and was wondering if anybody has either:

 1) got a working system; or
 2) has had problems in trying to get such a system running.

It would have 2 x 933 MHz PIII's. I was told by the salesman that there
was (might be?) some stability problems with this motherboard.
I have looked at a couple of 'Linux hardware compatibility'
web sites but have seen no reference to this motherboard.

many thanks

Bill

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Please recommend a webcam and good SW for it.
Date: 25 Oct 2000 11:06:59 GMT

R.K.Aa. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The Vesta Pro is the one I consider as well.
> I guess you know of this site:
> http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/
> It lists working kernels / backports of USB patch.
> and there are many good links there: check out the "working apps"
> and FAQ.

Yes, I have visited that site. It is a pity that many other prominent
manufacturers, e.g. Logitech, do not give the Linux community the same
chance as Philips does - i mean, there must be good Linux programmers who
want to write drivers for Logitech cams under an NDA, for free.

/EA

------------------------------

From: Robert Coehoorn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Configure M$ keyboard
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 13:15:01 +0200

Does anybody have experience/know how to configure the M$ keyboard
natural pro under Linux. I want to use the multimedia keys on this
keyboard as shortcut keys in X.
I've installed SuSE 7.0 professional NL.

Thanx
Robert

------------------------------

From: Neil Blue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Help! Soudblaster setup in Mandrake 7.1
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 11:23:38 GMT

Hello,

I am trying to setup my SoundBlaster Live! value in Mandrake 7.1

I have so far turned off PnP in the BIOS in order for the card to be
detedted by the hardware wizard. I can hear the test message, but when
I hit okay I get an error that sox: is unable to open '/dev/dsp'.

Please could anyone tell me what this means and how I can fix it.

Thank you
Neil Blue

From: Ron Slootbeek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: internal zip drive read problems, A7VKT133
Date: 25 Oct 2000 12:09:51 GMT

LugPaj <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> hi
> i have problems with accessing my internal 100 MB zip drive.
> a normal dos formated zip has following output at fdisk:
> --
> Disk /dev/hdd: 64 heads, 32 sectors, 95 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 bytes

>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdd1   ?    937477   1203315 272218546+  20  Unknown
> Partition 1 has different physical/logical beginnings (non-Linux?):

This weekend I have had the same kind of errors (probably) due to
incorrect settings of LBA (Linear Block Addressing) in my BIOS and usage
of Linux fdisk for dos partitions. After some not reproducible twiggling
things are back to work. Hope this helps.

Ron

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Georg Acher)
Date: 25 Oct 2000 12:14:57 GMT

In article <8t6esj$s0l$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
<...>
|> Yes, I have visited that site. It is a pity that many other prominent
|> manufacturers, e.g. Logitech, do not give the Linux community the same
|> chance as Philips does - i mean, there must be good Linux programmers who
|> want to write drivers for Logitech cams under an NDA, for free.

But that is not a real barrier, reverse engineering helps a lot:

http://wwwbode.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~acher/quickcam/

But I wouldn't buy the Quickcam Express ;-)
--
         Georg Acher, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         http://www.in.tum.de/~acher/

From: "Rick Bestany" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DMA Problems, hda lost interrupt..!!
Date: 25 Oct 2000 12:19:07 GMT

I woke up this morning o find the same message on my firewall.  I was able
to reboot and get going again, but does this mean that the disk is going
bad?

news:OTvJ5.1494$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: phil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem for compaq presario
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 12:30:04 -0000

the modem on my compaq presario, a rockwell hcf 56k, quit working.my
computer guru replaced it with a lucent v90. now my modem runs only at
26.4, when it use to run much faster. i've atttached my laptop to the same
phone cord at it runs as fast as ever, so i don't think it's the phone
line. i've gone through the modem setup and tried various speeds, but it
doesn't seem to make a difference. my guru said i should try an inline
filter on the modular telephone card, but that didn't help either.i'm
using aol as my server and have usede the auto detect function as well as
the expert add function. i've double (actually triple) checked the modem
setup for speed selection etc. any ideas would be appreciated. thanks!

From: "Andy Harcup" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BT Home Highway & the Speedway Terminal Adapter
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 14:20:21 +0100

Hi Folks,

I have recently purchased Red Hat Linux 7.0 and need some help to get my
Terminal Adapter working. I am new to Linux and I don't think that BT have
written a driver for the Speedway ISDN TA. Has anyone out there managed to
get one of these working ?????

Thanks for any help

Regards

Andy Harcup

------------------------------

From: Philipp Cain <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 15:36:02 +0200

jwk schrieb:

> On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:42:28 +0200, Philipp Cain
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Hello folks,
> >
> >my question concerns linux kernel support (2.2.16) for the rather cheap
> >ide raid controller cards like Promise Fastrak 100 pro and Abit Hot Rod
> >100 Pro.
> >
> >As far as I know there are some vendor beta drivers around but I would
> >prefer a kernel patch. So I had a look at
> >http://www.linux-ide.org/chipsets.html.
> >According to this list seems to be no support for hardware raid with the
> >above controllers.
> >
> >Is this correct ???
>
> No, because there is no hardware raid on the above controllers. It's all
> in the windows-drivers. So you are fine if you use the software raid
> linux provides. For the 2.2.x kernels, you need the ide patches from
> Andre Hedrick at
> ftp.de.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hedrick/2.2.x/
> as well.

Thanks for this comment. After a further look through Abit's Website I recognized
that the Highpoint controller HPT370 seems to offer software raid only.
But not so the Promise FastTrak controllers. According to the documentation they
are
real hardware raid controllers with own bios etc.

Philipp.

------------------------------

From: Arnstein Oseland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New install of RedHat 7.0
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 16:02:28 +0200

shokempo wrote:

> Hi,
>      I am planning to install RedHat 7 on a PC with a SB16 Sound Blaster ISA
> card and a 2x Creative CD-ROM drive.  The cd-rom does not use an IDE
> interface, but rather the ribbon cable plugs into the sound card.  Are there
> any Linux drivers that support such an old cd-rom unit/sound card
> arrangement?  Or should I simply buy an IDE/ATAPI cd-rom to save some
> headaches?

I use two different Creative CD-ROM on my old computers. They need
different kernel modules. I think one is manufactured by Panasonic and
uses sbpcd.o, the other I think is manufactured by Sony and uses
cdu31a.o. Both work fine now. But especially the Sony drive did cause
some headaches :=)

The morale is you should find out what kind of Creative drive you have,
or just try with both these modules. Don't buy a new drive unless you
can't get it to work, or unless you want more than 2x.

- Arnstein Oseland

From: Alexey Gimadiev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.development,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: OLICOM ISA/IV 2173 driver needed
Date: 25 Oct 2000 14:05:12 GMT

Hi All!
I need OLICOM ISA/IV 2173 driver for linux, can somebody help me?
 Thanks
                Alex