From: James Raney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Some Sun Sparc questions
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:09:10 -0500

One thing I forgot to mention:  Go to www.sunhelp.com.  They have a good
breakdown of console commands and a list of used Sun equipment dealers.

| James Raney                               |
| [EMAIL PROTECTED]               |
| I'm sure you can figure out what to do    |
| with the above address to mail me....     |

From: Erwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.kernel.general
Subject: New beta driver for SB Live
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:31:05 GMT

Creative has a new beta driver for the SB Live. I was wondering if anyone
has tried it and has success. The driver is emu10k1.o and you can find it
at their website
http://support.soundblaster.com/files/download.asp?OS=Beta&prod=sblive
The file is emu10k1-0.3b.tar.gz

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Ruud Mol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: What happened to fdformat
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:13:42 +0200

fdformat is no longer used in debian installations. Use 'superformat
/dev/foo' instead.

From: Jeff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: Parallel port zip drive problems...
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 13:04:17 -0700

I'm running redhat 5.2 and have a parallel port zip 100 drive that I
can't quite get to work...

When installing redhat, there is an option in the scsi adaptors setup
section to install the ppa driver, so I tried that, and by probing, it
failed to find the device. I tried specifying parameters, like the
address and whatnot, and it still did not work, it hangs the computer
looking for the drive (I entered the resources for my parallel port as
they are shown in Windows, the parameters I added were "ppa=0x378,7" I'm
not sure if that is correct, but I had to do the same for my scsi
adaptor, and that worked ok.)

I installed redhat without the ppa module, and tried installing one of
the newer kernels (2.2.9), and I noticed that there are two zip modules
now, ppa and imm for newer drives. I have fairly new zip drive, but the
cable does not say 'autodetect' like the information in the kernel setup
says. I tried compiling the kernel with ppa, when that didnt work, with
imm. Neither worked, and anytime I type "insmod ppa" (after first
installing redhat and also after upgrading the kernel) it says that the
ppa.o device is busy.

I'm not sure what else to try, any help would be appreciated...

------------------------------

From: Ruud Mol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Zip drives...
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:17:43 +0200

Try mounting it as partition 4:
mount /dev/hdd4 /foo -t msdos

btw you can also make ext2 filesystems on zipdisks... very cool...

grtz
Ruud

------------------------------

From: "Winston Liu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Monster Sound MX300
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:44:01 -0500

can anyone tell me the best way to get this card working? thanks. i'm
running suse 6.1.

winston

------------------------------

From: "Winston Liu" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Giving Modem access to other users...
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:41:46 -0500

I got my modem to work just fine whenever i log in as "root."  But how do i
let other users access the modem?  I did a wvdialconf ..... and it said i
didn't have permission to any of the serial ports?  Can someone help me?
Thanks.

Winston

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rajat Datta)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x.i386unix
Subject: Re: Diamond Viper 32MB V770D NVIDIA TNT2
Date: 16 Jul 1999 20:29:05 GMT

On 16 Jul 1999 13:36:48 -0400, Michael Meissner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Get the distribution from www.nvidia.com.  It includes a SVGA server
>> that recognizes and works with the TNT2 as well as a somewhat optimized
>> glx/opengl/mesa subsystem (somewhat optimized means faster than sw mesa
>> in 16-bit color).
>
>And also has a rather anonying bug if you use emacs (cursor disappears and text
>highlighting is sometimes off).  For XFree, you evidently have to tell it
>explicitly to use the TNT driver within SVGA with the:
>
>       chipset "nvi"
>
>line in the Device section.

Interesting.  I've only seen this problem using Enlightenment.  Mostly
I run with KDE and I don't see this problem at all.  Xemacs also doesn't
seem to have this problem.

rajat

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 21:49:57 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: What are the sync and refresh rates are for the Dell I7000 Laptop?

http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~steveh/inspiron/
is what you want.

Marc

--
Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                    http://marc.mutz.com/
University of Bielefeld, Dep. of Mathematics / Dep. of Physics

PGP-keyID's:   0xd46ce9ab (RSA), 0x7ae55b9e (DSS/DH)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Sadofsky)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable
Subject: Re: serial driver on 3Com 3cxem556
Date: 16 Jul 1999 12:49:34 -0700

Following up my own article, since we solved the problem and I've seen
others with the same problem.

Hal Sadofsky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>We're trying to install the 3cxem556B on a Toshiba Tecra 8000.
>We're using RH 5.2, kernel 2.0.26, and pcmcia 3.0.5.
>
>The ethernet driver installs, but there is a problem when the serial
>driver is being loaded by card services.
>
>Here is the relevant bit of /var/log/messages:
>
>Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost cardmgr[1355]: socket 0: 3Com/Megahertz 3CXEM556
>Ethernet/Modem
>Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost cardmgr[1355]: could not open 'cis/3CXEM556.dat': No such
>file or directory
>Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost cardmgr[1355]: executing: 'insmod
>/lib/modules/preferred/pcmcia/3c589_cs.o'
>Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost cardmgr[1355]: executing: 'insmod
>/lib/modules/preferred/pcmcia/serial_cs.o'
>Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost kernel: eth0: 3Com 3c589, port 0x300, irq 10, Auto port,
>hw_addr 00:00:86:32:68:1C
>Jul 14 14:11:18 localhost kernel: serial_cs: RequestIO: No more items
>Jul 14 14:11:19 localhost cardmgr[1355]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: Resource
>temporarily unavailable

Dave Hinds was kind enough to write me pointing out that the second
line above is an issue.

RedHat 5.2 seems to distribute a broken pcmcia package in that the
/cis/*.dat files are not included.  For many cards they are not
needed, but they are needed for the 3CXEM556.

The fix for us was taking a copy of 3CXEM556.dat from a complet pcmcia
installation, making the directory cis in /etc/pcmcia, and putting
this file there.

        Hal Sadofsky

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (benjamin j snyder)
Subject: multiple video cards
Date: 16 Jul 1999 20:32:50 GMT

If you've seen my other post (about Matrox) then you might think I'm a bit
obsessive on this sort of thing (you may be right).  Is there a way to have
2 video cards in a a mchine running linux?  If so, how does the machine handle
it (ie which is default etc)?

Sorry if this is babble to you, just trying to learn all I can.
--
Ben Snyder

------------------------------

From: Ruud Mol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ATAPI Zip Drive Linux 2.0.10 fails
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:24:56 +0200

I have a iomega zip100 and i've ran 2.2.10 and it was no problem at all....
just mount the forth partition for an IDE zipdrive to work...

also you can use them as ext2 disks: just do a mkfs.ext2 /dev/foo where foo
is your zipdrive...

From: Ruud Mol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problem with assumed NE2000 comp. PCI 100Mb card
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:30:35 +0200

Hi there..

I'm experiencing some problems with my PCI ethernet card: I can't get
the thing to work... For winblows it was no problem (I hate when that
happens) but Linux doesn't seem to recognize my device...

It's a NE2000 compatible PCI 100Mb card. It's brand is 'AceLink' (never
heard of that...)

At boot time I get some errors like "eth0: operation not supported by
device"...
I tried a lot: I recompiled about ten kernels; with modular support and
'fixed' (err... what's that called?) and disabled 'PnP OS' in my bios...

the card is listed in /proc/pci; io=0x6200 [0x6201] irq=10

Does any1 know how to solve this?

Thanks!

Ruud

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Robato Yao)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Subject: Re: Celeron, what's the catch?
Date: 15 Jul 1999 02:37:16 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls) writes:
>In article <7mi5pp$po4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>>
>>In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (kls) writes:
>>>In article <7mfilk$s0d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

>have

>>>Yes, it reduces performance.  What happens to the performance when you
>>>overclock the bus?:)
>>
>>Timing gets off.
>

>Timing speeds up.

Bullshit.  Repeat again.

Timing gets off.

You miss the data.

>>Do you know what happens when you arrive to the train station only to
>>discover the train left early?
>

>b29. a3. c17. ..
>
>>Bingo.
>

>:)

You're really getting dumb here.

>>>I havn't made any recommendation to use 83MHz bus.
>>
>>But you almost did.
>>
>>Overclocking with any other means other than a 100Mhz bus is risky.
>

>Most things handle 75MHz fine, most don't for 83.  Multipliers aren't
>set uniformly for many mb's so one really needs to look it up for each one.
>When oc'ing past 100mhz, if the pci & agp speeds end up around what they'd be
>for 75MHz then it's usually ok.

Even 75MHz is considered borderline. I won't even trust it without
asynch or pseudo PCI which Intel does not have.

>>>AGAIN, fine.  If that's your preference, great.  There's other manf. to
>>>choose from besides abit.  Your the one who keeps harping about abit even
>>>after repeated responses saying great use someone else.

>>>guess.

>>>are

>>>benches
>moved
>>>going

>>>You tried to add up things where it was already counted(the averaged scores
>of
>>>the singles) or where the cpu has little or no impact(hd & video benchmarks)
>>>or the best one of all, quake in different resolutions:)  To avoid having to
>>>respond to this we've moved onto 'the bottom line':)  OK.  Vast majority of
>>>users use w95/98, play games, & surf the web, with some money management &
>>>word usage on the side.  If were going to talk about the better system for
>>
>>All of which dual Celerons are darn useless.
>

>PHHHBB:)  you cut the sentence in half which makes moot the rebuttle you
>respond with.

Repeat again, vast majority will not benefit from SMP.

>>>them it'll be a single celeron over a k63 because of games(and the vast
>>>majority of users do agree:).  & ignoring the performance issues, there's
>>>the little issue of cost.
>>
>>How can a single Celeron be better?
>

>overall performance.
>

>The only thing it's better are for
>>games
>

>yep:)

I doubt that a dual Celerons will run as fast as a single Celeron on a
non SMP game, considering that a single Celeron on a dual setup actually
suffers near half loss of its memory and I/O bandwidth.

>>and the K6-III is just about better for anything else.
>

>& as you argue, the 'anything else' mostly consists of apps that are i/o, user
>input, xx dependant instead of cpu.

And since most other CPU bound Windows applications tie up their
interface anyway, there isn't that much benefit is there?

If you run one CPU bound application and one I/O bound application, how
does SMP significantly benefit there?

If anything I find K6's faster on I/O bound applications, because you
know why?  The K6 tends to be faster on applications running on tight
loops, with so much varied conditional branches and jumps, which
describe I/O bound applications pretty well.     I/O and
synchronization bound applications tend to benefit far better with a
*faster* CPU because all dependencies are resolved much faster, e.g.
like you notice how much data and applications can load much faster
with a faster CPU than a slower one even from the same hard drive?  Or
the way graphics are faster with a faster CPU than a slower one even
with the same graphics card?

------------------------------

From: Daniel Buettner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Cannot get my sound card to work!!! HELP!
Date: 16 Jul 1999 19:54:08 GMT

Shawn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

        [ snip ]

> What do I have to do to get the CD Player application to play
> the sound?  I should mention that I have two CDROM, one is a
> read-only and the other is a CD writer which the CD Player only
> want to play from the CD write (which is the "main" CD), how do
> I get the CD Player to use my other CDROM?
Whichever CD player you want to use for playing audio CDs should
have its audio cable connected to your sound card.  Now... I
suspect that the CD player may be looking for /dev/cdrom, so you
should set this to point at whichever CD device you want to use.
Or read the manual for whichever CD player you use and see if you
can specify which device to read from.

HTH,
--
~
~

------------------------------

From: Peter Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SoundBlaster PCI128
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 20:56:44 +0100

Jose Santiago wrote:

> Anyone have any tips on getting the SoundBlaster PCI128 to work under
> Linux without having to pay for the OSS drivers?
>
> --
> Jose Santiago
>
> Senior Systems Analyst - Scientific Systems
> Komatsu Mining Systems - Peoria Operations
> 2300 N.E. Adams Street
> P.O. Box 240
> Peoria, IL 61650-0240
>
> Voice:309-672-7325  Fax:309-672-7753
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

2.2 kernel and the es1371 driver.  Works as either a module or
hard compiled.

                        Peter Allen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (H.Bruijn)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux IRQ oops
Date: 16 Jul 1999 20:06:31 GMT

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:08:11 -0400, Hunter Ritchie allegedly wrote:
>Penguins,
>
>    This is a repost because the last one didn't seem to take.
>    Anyway, I've just installed RedHat 6.0 on an old 486 machine with 20Mb
>RAM.  It takes about 4 hours for the install, so I am resistant to repeating
>the procedure.
>
>    Problem::    I oopsed during the install and set my Ethernet card to be
>used at IRQ 5.  Unfortunately, the card itself is set to be used at IRQ 10.
>
>    Question::  How or where do I manipulate settings (through commands or
>script modification) to get Linux to look for the card at IRQ 10?  I've
>tried 'ifconfig' and 'ether=' at boot.  Neither has worked (which means they
>both probably do and I just didn't use them correctly.)
>
>    I know it is possible to reconfigure the card itself with a DOS utility,
>but am avoiding that because it conflicts with my "master plan".
>
>Any help clearing this mess up is greatly appreciated.
>Thanks in advance,
>Pops

The script these settings are kept in is one of:
/etc/conf.modules
/etc/modutils/network
/etc/lilo.conf
/etc/sysconfig/network
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/*

I am quite sure the first, or possibly the second one will do the
trick. (assuming you use modules to load the network driver)
--
       Herman
-- ------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andries Brouwer)
Subject: Re: SCSI v. IDE boot conflict (Linux-only system)
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 19:03:13 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (JeremyDunn) writes:

: I did finally get something to work

: Background: brand new Socket-7 motherboard (Epox) with new (3/1/99) Award BIOS.
:  K62/400.  Originally, 1 SCSI disk (IN-2000 controller) with LILO in MBR of
: /dev/sda.  BIOS boot order set to SCSI, A, C. Only Linux (SuSE 6.0) on this
: machine.  Boots fine.

: 1.  Added IDE drive on secondary/master IDE.  Left boot sequence as SCSI, A, C.
:  On boot, BIOS says "no active partition on HDD".  I assume it means the IDE.

: 2. changed lilo.conf, using the disk/bios args, to tell LILO hard drive
: sequence is swapped at boot.  same thing as above, BIOS can't find any active
: partition.

: 3. formatted IDE drive, partitioned into 4.  Removed disk/bios stuff from
: lilo.conf, and put boot=/dev/hdc (MBR of IDE drive).  Changed BIOS boot
: sequence to C, SCSI, A.  On boot, same thing, BIOS *still* can't see the MBR of
: *either* drive, despite the fact that LILO is in both of them.

: 4. Since I have IDE on secondary IDE controller, tried boot sequence of D,
: SCSI; E, SCSI; F, SCSI.  Same thing.  BIOS can't find any bootable partition.

: 5. Using fdisk, made 1st partition of IDE bootable.  Changed lilo.conf to put
: LILO on /dev/hdc1.  Left boot sequence as C, SCSI.  This time, got 'LI' then
: failure.  Couldn't get past it.

: 6. (finally!)  Made 1st partition of SCSI bootable, using fdisk.   Put the
: disk/bios stuff back in lilo.conf.  Put lilo in /dev/sda1.  (now it is in 4
: places!) Switched BIOS to boot SCSI, C, A.  Now it works.

: So the question is, why ?

You can answer this for yourself.
The real and only question is: What numbers does the BIOS assign
to my disks, and how do these numbers depend on the boot order?
Read the below, understand it, test the details for your BIOS.
I am interested in the result - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

During booting the following happens:
1. The BIOS reads the MBR from a disk and starts the code found there
2. That code completes the boot.

Step 1. ` BIOS says "no active partition on HDD" '
I do not believe that the BIOS would ever say anything like that.
It would mean that that BIOS would be unable to boot all kinds
of Unix and other systems with different conventions about
partition tables. This `active' is a DOS thing.
Conclusion: you booted the old DOS bootloader from this IDE drive.
[Probably you misremembered the boot sequence.]

Step 2. Precisely the same thing. The DOS boot code lives
in the MBR of your IDE disk. ("But I ran LILO ??" - yes, perhaps,
but you did something wrong. "using the disk/bios args" is not
very informative. You needed to find out what number, like 0x80
or 0x81 or so, this IDE disk had for your BIOS, and tell that to LILO.
But I see no report on effort from you to find out about this BIOS number.)

Step 3. Precisely the same thing. This IDE disk still contains
the DOS code.

Step 4. Precisely the same thing.

Step 5. Still the same thing - the MBR of your IDE disk still
contains the DOS code, but now this DOS code is instructed to boot
/dev/hdc1, and LILO lives there, so is booted by the DOS code.
However, your lilo.conf still has the wrong information about
disk numbers, so LILO cannot find its second stage loader.

Step 6. This time you boot from SCSI, and from the very beginning
you still had LILO in the MBR there. This LILO boots some kernel
from some disk.

------------------------------

From: James Raney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: two HD, two OS, how can it work ?
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 14:52:15 -0500

Put windows on the primary master channel and linux on the secondary
master channel.  Set up lilo to boot to /dev/hdc and windows to /dev/hda
from the primary master (IE install lilo on /dev/hda). It works just
fine for me.  Windows refuses to do anything unless its on the first
controller that the system sees a drive attached to but Linux will boot
just fine from a secondary controller as long as lilo is installed on
the primary master.