Linux-Hardware Digest #908, Volume #10            Mon, 2 Aug 99 11:13:45 EDT

Contents:
  Apache and ASP ("Joffer")
  V4l (Video 4 Linux) Buffer Problems (Brian Mitchell)
  Re: Apache and ASP (Kyrre Baker)
  Re: Advice needed on Dell Inspiron 3500 ("Kai-Uwe v. d. Ohe")
  Re: HP Deskjet Printer (6XX)) series (Todd Graham)
  Re: Tekram DC-310 compability ("Niklas Rosencrantz")
  Re: Linux on HP Vectra VL Series 3 5/100 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  the Interphase SAN driver for the 5526 PCI Fibre channel Adapter for Linux for Intel
80x86 (do-hun kim)
  TNT 2 in Xfree ("Thomas Lötzer")
  Laptop hardware recommendations... (Anders Iderström)
  pci token-ring adapter (Mario Prato)
  Logitech Cordless Wheel Mouse (Rob Moolhuijsen)
  Re: Linux guru help (Thierry Michalowski)
  Re: SOCORRO!!!! HELP!!!! LINUX!!!!! ("Janc Lage")
  Re: Logitech Cordless Wheel Mouse ("Al @Work")
  PCMCIA ISDN AVM A1 + Video Conference 4 Linux ? (Jean-Yves Bitterlich)
  Re: Any compressed mode tape drive or autoloader supported under linux (Redhat 6.0)?
("Tony Platt")
  ISAPNP startup NIC config (Joel Douglas Reese)
  Re: SCSI AHA 152x adapter ("Jim Dibb")
  Soft - Raid (Sven Holz)

From: "Joffer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x,linux.dev.config,no.it.os.unix.linux.diverse,no.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Apache and ASP
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 12:32:30 +0200

Does Apache support ASP?

------------------------------

From: Brian Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: V4l (Video 4 Linux) Buffer Problems
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 20:02:18 +0930

Whenever I try to start a video for linux application I get error message=
s such
as "can't open /dev/video: No buffer space available". I can't work out h=
ow to
allocate buffers to /dev/video.

------------------------------

From: Kyrre Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Apache and ASP
Date: 02 Aug 1999 12:48:55 +0200

http://www.halcyonsoft.com/index.htm

--
 Kyrre..

------------------------------

From: "Kai-Uwe v. d. Ohe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.laptops
Subject: Re: Advice needed on Dell Inspiron 3500
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 13:38:14 +0100

Two sites about Linux on the I 3500 i know of:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sadala/notebooklog.html

http://www.post1.com/home/kal/inspiron3500.html

Regards,

Kai-Uwe

Pattard schrieb in Nachricht <7o2649$rs9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: Todd Graham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HP Deskjet Printer (6XX)) series
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 11:37:44 GMT

I'm having a similar problem with the HP 612C, did you figure anything
out with yours?

Thanks,

From: "Niklas Rosencrantz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Tekram DC-310 compability
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 14:00:19 +0200

Thanks, but I did that already. The question was whether DC-310 will work
with the DC-390 driver. If someone has non-meta information about this then
please email me.

If there is still no advice then I guess I'll just give it a try anyway with
RH6.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux on HP Vectra VL Series 3 5/100
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 12:10:59 GMT

I believe the BIOS limitation for this unit is 4.2GB, as you've found
out. Aside from latest BIOS or perhaps an add-in card there isn't much
that you can do.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Falah Thamir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I tried installing an 8-GB drive, which did not work correctly. The
BIOS

From: do-hun kim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: the Interphase SAN driver for the 5526 PCI Fibre channel Adapter for Linux
for Intel 80x86
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 20:51:12 +0900

==============9DE1C1844E87DEDA8822E22E

Is there anybody who knows where the Interphase SAN driver for the 5526
PCI Fibre channel Adapter for Linux for Intel 80x86 is? Help, please.

--
Kim Do-hun
[EMAIL PROTECTED]     +82-562-279-5668

==============9DE1C1844E87DEDA8822E22E

<HTML>
Hello,
<P>Is there anybody who knows where the Interphase SAN driver for the 5526
PCI Fibre channel Adapter for Linux for Intel 80x86 is? Help, please.
<PRE>--&nbsp;
Kim Do-hun
[EMAIL PROTECTED]&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; +82-562-279-5668
System Software Lab. Dept. of Computer Science &amp; Engineering, POSTECH</PRE>
&nbsp;</HTML>

From: "Thomas Lötzer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: TNT 2 in Xfree
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 14:18:01 +0200

Hi

I've got a Viper V770 and I'm trying to use XFree86 3.3.3.1, but that
doesn't support the TNT2 Chip. So now I'm trying to update to Xfree86 3.3.4
and I don't know how. Can anyone help me? Thx

Thomas Loetzer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Anders Iderström)
Subject: Laptop hardware recommendations...
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 15:04:40 +0200

I'm about too buy a laptop and I need recommendations since I will be
running Linux and NT on it. I'm familiar with Linux, but not Linux on
laptops.

Anders

------------------------------

From: Mario Prato <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pci token-ring adapter
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 14:25:05 +0200

Does anybody remember the URL of the "Linux pci token-ring project"?
I crashed my HD with all my bookmarks!

From: Rob Moolhuijsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Logitech Cordless Wheel Mouse
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 14:47:45 +0200

Hi,

A couple of days I replaced my old mouse with a Logitech Cordless Wheel
Mouse. The thing is I can't get the middle button (neither the scroll
wheel) to work under Debian Linux. The mouse can be plugged into a PS/2
or serial port. I use the serial one.

Could someone indicate me the correct configuration (XF86config,
kernel,  etc.)?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

------------------------------

From: Thierry Michalowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux guru help
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 15:51:04 +0200

tony wrote:

> I just installed RH6, and the machine is g5-166 from gateway.
> I have two problems.
>
> 1.
>    The command shutdown -h now, halt, halt -p always go to reboot
> machine.
>    I can see the following messages: system is halted, power down. Then
> machine reboot again.

You have to compile your kernel with APM support, and with "Poweroff on
shutdown" option. I don't know if any of the standard kernels from RedHat
has this option, since I'm mainly using them fo booting only the first
time. I can help you compile your kernel if you need to: my experience
tells that it is only a matter of doing the right commands, and carefully
reading every comment about what you don't know in the options. Takes a
little time the first one. :-)

> 2.
>
> Every time go to X, the screen flickers a bit. But the config file
> contains the correct info.
> about vedio card and monitor
>
> The vedio card is STB ViRGE/GX 3D pci
>
> monitor is Nec MultiSync XV15
>
> h frequencies 31-65
> v frequencies 50-100
>
> So what is the problem? please!

You should be more precise about "flickers a bit" ?
Anyway, are you sure you selected the right X server for your card?

Hope this helps
Thierry

--
Thierry Michalowski                                     /
Edipresse Publications S.A                 \\\' ,      / //

------------------------------

From: "Janc Lage" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SOCORRO!!!! HELP!!!! LINUX!!!!!
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 09:33:14 -0300

>Please stop this. This is an english news group.

Where was writen this is an english news group ??
So please stop it you !!!

------------------------------

From: "Al @Work" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Logitech Cordless Wheel Mouse
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 09:24:10 -0400

Rob Moolhuijsen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> A couple of days I replaced my old mouse with a Logitech Cordless Wheel
> Mouse. The thing is I can't get the middle button (neither the scroll
> wheel) to work under Debian Linux. The mouse can be plugged into a PS/2
> or serial port. I use the serial one.
>
> Could someone indicate me the correct configuration (XF86config,
> kernel,  etc.)?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rob

Rob,

You might find some help here:

http://www.inria.fr/koala/colas/mouse-wheel-scroll/

       Al

------------------------------

From: Jean-Yves Bitterlich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PCMCIA ISDN AVM A1 + Video Conference 4 Linux ?
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 12:49:31 GMT

Hi,

 Maybe someone can help me out because I do have
2 problems:

1. I recently acquired a PCMCIA ISDN AVM A1 and
 I would like to use it under Linux. As far as
 I could go, I understood that I need a
 module named : "avma1_cs.o". I could download
 the following package from an RPMFind site :
http://rpmfind.doc.ic.ac.uk/suse/updates/SuSE-6.1/a1/pcmcia-3.0.10-0.i386.html

It seems that this packet has been built by SuSE ... but
they don't answer to my mails.

Maybe someone has the same card as me and know how
to use it!

2. I would like to video-conference using Linux. As
 being a complete newbee concerning video-things, I
 would appreciate your comments!

thanks in advance,
Jean-Yves Bitterlich

------------------------------

From: "Tony Platt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.config,redhat.hardware.arch.intel
Subject: Re: Any compressed mode tape drive or autoloader supported under linux
(Redhat 6.0)?
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 00:15:07 +1000

Also look at www.arkeia.com

Tony

------------------------------

From: Joel Douglas Reese <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ISAPNP startup NIC config
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 14:14:00 GMT

Hello,
i've got an Intel Etherexpress pro 10+ PNP ISA
NIC. That i can get to work,
however i've been unsuccessful at getting the
module to load at init, which in turn makes
me worried about activating the network device at boot.
ISAPNP will configure the card during initialization phase,
but i've tried putting a line in my rc.local file
to load the module
"modprobe eepro.o io=0x0210 irq=9"
but it doesn't load the module, and i think it has something
to do with permission because the very last line of init fails;
however when i check dmesg it doesn't say anything about it.
so to get my Net connection to work, i have to load the module
by hand and then open activate the device in control-panel.

i hope at least some of this made sense,
a Linux baby,
Joel

------------------------------

From: "Jim Dibb" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SCSI AHA 152x adapter
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:41:15 -0400

Doing just this perplexed me the other night.  I have my root on a 152x and
boot off of an IDE partition.
Everything was working fine with 2.0.35 kernel off of Red Hat CD.  I even
rebuilt it a number of times trying different things.

Installed the 2.0.36 patch, because the tulip driver needed for my NDC
10/100 NIC says it needs 2.0.36.  Ok, so I build it, configuring with 'make
xconfig' (first time I've used it rather than the text config).  Everything
seemed to go well, put the kernel in /ideboot, added an entry in
/etc/lilo.conf so I could keep the 2.0.35, did an /sbin/lilo.  Reboot, and
.... no scsi driver.  I know on the SCSI config settings, I checked the
first option (which was Configure SCSI support) and the 152x support.  (This
was two days ago so its a little fuzzy).
It seems like I built a module rather than compiling it in, but I can't
figure out why it happened.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Sven Holz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Soft - Raid
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 16:22:50 +0200

Hey, I´m looking for somebody with experience about Soft - Raid Level 5.

I´m using Suse Linux 6.1 but I got probs with the package distributed in
this Distribution.

I also got problems with compiling a new Version.

So please help

Thanx a lot

Sven Holz