Linux-Hardware Digest #908, Volume #12           Tue, 23 May 00 02:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Soft RAID vs. SuSE? (Mark(un-MASKForsyth))
  Re: Linux + intellimouse: Any drivers? (Jim Jerzycke)
  Re: harddisk performance (Jim Jerzycke)
  newbie - cdrom drive (Gar Snaple)
  Re: lilo help please ("Steve S.")
  Re: Using a Travan under linux? (Cokey de Percin)
  Re: Linux sucks (John Jordan)
  Re: Diamond Viper II (Dances With Crows)
  Re: harddisk performance (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Linux sucks (Arjan Drieman)
  Re: Help! Could anybody recommend a book of Writting Device Driver? (robert t.
lemmon)
  Re: Linux sucks (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: How do I check available disk space (Mark Bratcher)
  Re: Motherboard/hardware question, bell rings (Michael V. Ferranti)
  Re: Why does my VXA-1 tape only hold 14GB? (Rico Tudor)
  Re: Sound Blaster AWE64 (Kenneth Friday)
  Re: update (Vladimir Florinski)
  Re: Help! Could anybody recommend a book of Writting Device Driver? (Lew Pitcher)
  Re: Fasttrak66 vs redhat 6.2 (Lurch)
  Re: newbie - cdrom drive (FallNAngel)
  modem suddenly dosn't work (Goya Lin)
  Can not mount cdrom drive (Chris Dillon)
  Re: Linux sucks (Attila Feher)
  XpressNet Driver (Phil Reardon)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark(un-MASK)Forsyth)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Soft RAID vs. SuSE?
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 18:20:45 +1000

On Sun, 21 May 2000 23:15:47 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
>Hi, i got the following Problem:
>
>I´m using SuSE 6.4 with the SuSE Kernel (cause im to lazy to patch on my
>own ;-) ) 2.2.14.
>Now i try to setup an RAID on 4 SCSI Disks, with the "raidtools", but it
>doesn´t work, mkraid md0 exit with
>
>" analyzing super-block
>disk 0: /dev/sda1, 4401778kB, raid superblock at 4401664kB
>disk 1: /dev/sdb1, 4401778kB, raid superblock at 4401664kB
>disk 2: /dev/sdc1, 4401778kB, raid superblock at 4401664kB
>disk 3: /dev/sdd1, 4401778kB, raid superblock at 4401664kB
>mkraid: aborted, see the syslog and /proc/mdstat for potential clues"

So what was in syslog and /proc/mdstat ?????
May help unearth an answer.

--
Mark F...
unMASK for e-mail

------------------------------

From: Jim Jerzycke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux + intellimouse: Any drivers?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 00:28:17 +0100

There's a utility called imwheel if you have the wheel version of
Intellimouse. I have the trackball version, and it works fine.
Regards, jim

------------------------------

From: Jim Jerzycke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: harddisk performance
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 00:29:45 +0100

How'd it work?
Jim

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gar Snaple)
Subject: newbie - cdrom drive
Date: 22 May 2000 22:41:41 GMT

i dont know anything about linux and i was wondering how i would go about using
my cd-drive..........  thanks

------------------------------

From: "Steve S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: lilo help please
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 19:55:59 +0000

if you want to just get rid of lilo, go into DOS/Win and
type "fdisk /mbr" and that should do it.  it's either a
slash or a dash, i forget which "fdisk /mbr" or "fdisk
-mbr".

or, if you've got a DOS version of lilo you can edit the
configuration file to make windows the default and then
write it to the master boot record with lilo.  but i think
that the first option is more what you're looking for.
--
  _______/  |_  _______  __ ____     ______
 /  ___/\   __\/ __ \  \/ // __ \   /  ___/

------------------------------

From: Cokey de Percin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using a Travan under linux?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 00:59:09 GMT

Mikael Carneholm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Our university computer club is about to invest in a backup device
> (preferably: a Travan). Our machine is a K6/200 /w 64 Mb, running RH6.2.
> However, the HP and Seagate sites only mention Win 95/98/NT as supported
> OS:s? We're interested in two or three particular devices:
>
> Seagate TapeStor 20 GB       (BS-T20GBAI)
> HP Colorado/SureStore 20 GB IDE/SCSI
>
> Any help/info appreciated!

Can't comment on the Seagate, but the Colorado/SureStore  >SCSI< just
plugs in and runs.  It uses the std SCSI tape drivers.  I've got one
and it works nicely.

Best

Cokey

Cokey de Percin, DBA            Email:
Policy Management Systems Corp.  Work - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Columbia, South Carolina         Home - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Jordan)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Linux sucks
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 00:21:53 GMT

"Darryl Schultz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo a todos por la
internet:

>News to me 'eyez'.  You don't need to reboot NT to change the network card
>IP address.  I have done this many times on our companies network.  You just
>need to know how ... just like linux.

OK, share. How do you do it in Windows NT without rebooting?

NOTICE: The e-mail address is deliberately incorrect.
Delete "xnospam" from the username.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Diamond Viper II
Date: 22 May 2000 21:25:42 EDT

On Mon, 22 May 2000 23:32:14 GMT, Christopher T. Kight
<<2sjW4.127179$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
shouted forth into the ether:
>Forgive me if this has been asked before..
>
>I have a Diamond Viper II. It's a great video card, I was wondering if
>anyone has been able to get one running under any flavor of X? I have some
>older hardware that I know works under x, but I'd like to give it a shot
>with the nicer card.

Savage2000 chipset.  Argh.  I think this is supported with the SVGA server
in the latest release of Xfree86 (3.3.6) but ISTR that people have
reported problems with it.  The drivers are pretty beta and you should
really read the stuff at http://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/S3V3.html ...

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| You have me mixed up with more
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| creative ways of being stupid?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Date: 22 May 2000 21:36:46 EDT

On Tue, 23 May 2000 00:29:45 +0100, Jim Jerzycke
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>How'd it work?

I assume you're referring to adding the splitfifo=1 bootparameter with the
VIA MVP3 chipset.  For me, it increased the benchmark results on "hdparm
-t" about 2M/sec.  YMMV; someone else said they didn't get that much
improvement with the same command line.  I don't really know if there's a
way to try this out without rebooting; trying to mess with things in
/proc/ide/ caused a kernel oops in 2.3.99-pre8.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Arjan Drieman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,linux.redhat.install
Date: 23 May 2000 01:39:21 GMT

On Sun, 21 May 2000 14:57:17 +1000, Darryl Schultz
      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>News to me 'eyez'.  You don't need to reboot NT to change the network card
>IP address.  I have done this many times on our companies network.  You just
>need to know how ... just like linux.

Yeah just like you don't need to reinstall NT when you want to turn a
BDC into a PDC or completely change domains?

Or try hotswapping some devices...

*chuckle*

Arjan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (robert t. lemmon)
Subject: Re: Help! Could anybody recommend a book of Writting Device Driver?
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 02:29:28 GMT

i ordered and received "Linux Device Drivers"
from O'Reilly not too long ago. would rate 7/10

also "Beginning Linux Programming" has a
good chapter on device drivers, from wrox
press - this chapter i'd also rate at 7/10 .

e-mail me if u need more detail ( or discover
better treatments )
robert t lemmon [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,linux.redhat.install
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 22:31:35 -0400

Darryl Schultz wrote:

> News to me 'eyez'.  You don't need to reboot NT to change the network card
> IP address.  I have done this many times on our companies network.  You just
> need to know how ... just like linux.

Then tell Microsoft that. Any time you change just about anything in the
network config you get a dialog box asking you to reboot.

The only time I've had to reboot linux is when I've changed the kernel.

------------------------------

From: Mark Bratcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How do I check available disk space
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 22:34:17 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have two 8gig drive.  I installed RedHat 6.1
> Drive hdb have 4gig free.
>
> From command line how can I tell free space available on hda or hda.

[prompt]$ df

--
Mark Bratcher
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Michael V. Ferranti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Motherboard/hardware question, bell rings
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 02:48:50 +0100

Here I was, minding my own business, and wouldn't you know it?
David Kirkpatrick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> just had to go and say:

>BTW: the beeps that come out are not the video sequence.  If I leave
>out the floppy the bios beeps continually.

        Yeah, it sounds like your POST doesn't halt in the event of a
motherboard failure, I guess.  If you've checked everything else on another
motherboard and it works, then there's only one answer.

>   I had been switching lan cards at the time and that probably cracked the
>motherboard or possibly shorted something.

        That's nuthin.  I munged a jumper setting on my previous motherboard
and smoked it. <grins>  Burnt copper traces all across the bottom of the
board.  Didn't fry the CPU tho.  I'm still running it.  Are you using metal
or plastic stand-offs?  Some generic systems don't even ground the
motherboard.  If you are, stop by an electronics shop and pick up a full
set of metal stand-offs.  Keeps the motherboard from flexing at least.

-                Michael V. Ferranti [blades&inreach*com]
                            GNUke The Planet!
                          The GNUclear Network®
Registered with the Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org        ID# 177869

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rico Tudor)
Subject: Re: Why does my VXA-1 tape only hold 14GB?
Date: 23 May 2000 02:58:00 GMT

I have a pair of VXA externals, and achieve the 33GB native on V17.
Would be interested to have you run the following on a scratch tape.

        mt -f /dev/nst1 setblk 0
        mt -f /dev/nst1 compression 0
        time dd bs=32k </dev/zero >/dev/nst1

This should complete in 3 hours, after writing 1007080 blocks of 32KB.
Real world data rates can be reduced by file system seeking, and I
observe some attendant loss of capacity, but just a few percent.

======== my e=mail domain: math.nwu.edu

------------------------------

From: Kenneth Friday <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux.corel,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Sound Blaster AWE64
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 20:43:51 -0700

James Kittsmiller wrote:

> In corel open a terminal window and type sound_setup
>
> Admiral Jerc
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:8fuqe6$q51$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <ElAU4.41498$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >   "Madness" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > Hi!!
> > > Thank you very much for your interests helping me...
> > > Now I need to fix upmy last trouble: my Sound Blaster AWE64
> > > Where I can find right drivers???
> > >
> > > ALessio
> > >

> > With the Mandrake 7 distribution, use sndconfig, that's all !!!
> > I have the same card and it work perfectly...

How I wish it were that easy!!  I also have Mandrake 7 and an AWE64.  I ran
sndconfig and it passed the tests just fine in sndconfig, However, I get no
sound except for music CDs.  It is not listed under Lothar and I have no
system sounds.  This is Plug and Pray ISA card.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Ken

------------------------------

From: Vladimir Florinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: update
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 20:29:30 -0700

Kirk Wythers wrote:

> I've got the sucker dialing (or at least it sounds like it). I set PnP in
> the bios to "NO". Now the modem won't conect to my isp. Where are the
> configuration files that RedHat's modem config tool writes so that I can
> double check the password and user stuff?

These two files keep the dialing commands and the ppp options:
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/chat-ppp0
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0

--

Vladimir

------------------------------

From: Lew Pitcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 04:10:16 GMT

Robinson wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I am learning how to write Device Driver in linux.
> Could anybody recommend a book about how to write Device Driver?

"Linux Device Drivers"
by Alessandro Rubini
(c) 1998, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
ISBN 1-56592-292-1

Available at all good bookstores, and from the publisher at
http://www.orielly.com

--
Lew Pitcher

Master Codewright and JOAT-in-training

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Fasttrak66 vs redhat 6.2
From: Lurch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 21:25:12 -0700

Ha LOL !
Thaht's about the size of it.
I have checked with another US based company called Psidisk.com
about drivers for their IDE RAID controller :

"We support Red Hat Linux version 6.1 and SUSE Linux version
6.2.  We are currently working on a driver for Red Hat 6.2.
Please let me know if you have any more questions or if you
would like me to arrange an evaluation unit for you."

I may have to retire the promise card to an older PC & reinvest
in a Psidisk controller but I hate to throw away good hardware
just because a manufacturer will not support it.

From: FallNAngel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: newbie - cdrom drive
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 00:10:20 -0500

Gar Snaple wrote:

> i dont know anything about linux and i was wondering how i would go about using
> my cd-drive..........  thanks

open your cd-rom and drop the cd in.  Then open a console and (as root) type:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

the cdrom should now be under /mnt/cdrom.

When you're done with the cd, type:
umount /dev/cdrom

*note, there is no 'n' in umount

------------------------------

From: Goya Lin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem suddenly dosn't work
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 00:09:11 -0500

Hi,

I was using an external standard modem nuder Linux without any problem.
I haven't booted my Linux for 2 weeks and now when I am in Linux again,
the modem seems not to work (it still works in Windows though). I am
using Kppp and when I querry the modem it tells me "sorry, the modem is
busy". I also changed it to another external standard modem and it still
doesn't work. Does anyone know what's going on and how to solve the
problem?

Thank you for your help, I would appreciate if you also forward the
reply to

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--Goya

------------------------------

From: Chris Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can not mount cdrom drive
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 01:24:33 -0400

I am running RH 6.2 which I just installed 2 weeks ago.  My problem is
that I am unable to mount my cdrom drive.  Linux knows that it is there,
it is present on boot.  Also, I recently moved the ide connection
tonight to see if order made a difference and redhat recognized this on
boot and uninstalled the cdrom at hdc and installed it as hdb.

I have tried using linuxconf I select the drive and request mount and it
says it's successful even though it is not.  In a terminal I typed:

mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

I get an error message.  Wrong media type.

I have tried this with many different formats from audio to redhat
install disk with the same error message.

I have checked the link and cdrom is linked to /dev/hdb.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Attila Feher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,linux.redhat.install
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 08:36:22 +0300

Mark Bratcher wrote:
> The only time I've had to reboot
> linux is when I've changed the kernel.

You have to reboot Linux to change the kernel???  There is work to do
Linus! :-))))))))

Attila

------------------------------

From: Phil Reardon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: XpressNet Driver
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 23:54:32 -0600

I just bought two XpressNet Fast Ethernet PCI adapters, which include an
old driver dmfe.o with source code dmfe.c for the Davicom DM9102.  I
downloaded the latest version (1.20)from the XpressNet site, which was
compiled on Linux kernel V2.0.34 with gcc V2.7.  I am running RHat 6.1
which has kernel version 2.2.12-20, and gcc version egcs-2.91.66.
Attempts to compile the driver source give lots of error messages,
apparently because of the compiler version differences.

My question is how can I make use of this driver.  Can I safely use the
-f option with insmod?  Do I have to recompile, and if so what about all
these errors:

In file included from DMFE.C:55:
/usr/include/linux/bios32.h:11: warning: #warning This driver uses the
old PCI interface, please fix it (see Documentation/pci.txt)
In file included from /usr/include/linux/fs.h:18,
                 from /usr/include/linux/capability.h:13,
                 from /usr/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
                 from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:8,
                 from DMFE.C:46:
/usr/include/linux/list.h:33: parse error before `new'
/usr/include/linux/list.h: In function `void __list_add(...)':
/usr/include/linux/list.h:37: `next' undeclared (first use this
function)
/usr/include/linux/list.h:37: (Each undeclared identifier is reported
only once
/usr/include/linux/list.h:37: for each function it appears in.)
/usr/include/linux/list.h:37: parse error before `;'
/usr/include/linux/list.h:40: `prev' undeclared (first use this
function)
/usr/include/linux/list.h:40: parse error before `;'
/usr/include/linux/list.h: At top level:
/usr/include/linux/list.h:46: parse error before `new'
/usr/include/linux/list.h: In function `void list_add(...)':
/usr/include/linux/list.h:48: parse error before `,'
/usr/include/linux/adfs_fs.h: At top level:
In file included from /usr/include/linux/adfs_fs_sb.h:10,
etc, etc