Linux-Hardware Digest #908, Volume #14           Sat, 16 Jun 01 11:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Support for Fuji film MX 1500 (Sanjeev)
  keyboard lock-ups ("Vlad")
  Re: RH 7.1 & failed ppp interface (Sanjeev)
  Re: US Robotics 56k Fax Win Int + RedHat 7.1 ... HELP !!! (Clive Dove)
  Re: Floppy disk prolem in Mandrake 8 ("Rick O'shay")
  Weird IDE Problem with Compaq Deskpro 4000 & RH 6.x (John Roy)
  Re: SCSI emulation (Ian Briggs)
  Re: buying a CDR/RW (Richard)
  Visual Network Monitoring Tools?? (Subba Rao)
  Re: NEC MultiSync LCD1525V (Richard)
  Re: Workaround to get HP Colorado IDE tape drives to work under RH7.1 (2.4
kernels). (Robert Davies)
  Re: What to install for a laptop? (Robert Davies)
  Re: Strange kernel message about power saving mode (Richard)
  Re: Weird IDE Problem with Compaq Deskpro 4000 & RH 6.x (Jan Johansson)
  How to install a UMAX SCSI clone onto the NCR5380 driver (Phlip)
  X problem (mirena)
  Re: Two identical HDUs, but Linux disaggrees (Richard)
  Configure Sun A1000 under Linux? (John Forsythe)
  Re: Aureal Vortex 2 & Linux (Richard)
  Re: X problem (Richard)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sanjeev)
Subject: Support for Fuji film MX 1500
Date: 16 Jun 2001 03:08:42 -0700

Is there any application with which I can access the photos inside my
FujiFilm MX 1500? I tried gPhoto, but the application does not
"recognize the device".

From: "Vlad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: keyboard lock-ups
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 12:08:20 +0200

Hi,

I am having these mysterious lock-ups of my cordless logitech keyboard. It
does this mostly when working with console. It suddenly locks up for about
1-3 mins (no keys work), then it may let go or not. Pulling out the PS/2
cable and plugging it back in again helps, but only for a while - and after
this the keyboard repeat rate sinks to about half its value. Pressing those
CONNECT buttons on both the receiver and the keyboard doesn't help at all.
Oh and it never does this under win98. Maybe I have to lower the key repeat
rate? If so which file do I edit?

Please help?

Thanks in advance,
Vlad

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sanjeev)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.ppp,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: RH 7.1 & failed ppp interface
Date: 16 Jun 2001 03:12:42 -0700

Do u need to give a parameter like ATX1 or something to your modem?
Not sure, but maybe that is causing the problem.

------------------------------

From: Clive Dove <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: US Robotics 56k Fax Win Int + RedHat 7.1 ... HELP !!!
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 10:43:14 GMT

Rahul wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Please help me out of this!
>
> I have first time installed RedHat 7.1 (Dual-boot with Windows-2000).
> My Windows-2000 is correctly recognizing the modem, but Linux is not.
> I have heard that if modem is winmodem(?), then Linux may not
> support it at all :-( I am not sure whether mine is winmodem or not
> (how to identify that it's winmodem or not ?)
>
> Any kind of information on this will be appreciated!
>
> Following are the details of my modem :
> ----
> US Robotics 56K Fax Win Int - COM3 (From Windows->Control-Panel)
> Device Location : PCI slot-5 (PCI bus 1, device 11, function 0)
> Driver Version  : 4.1.21.4
>
> Found on Internal Modem Card(?):
> On the Chip :
>         US Robotics AD1807JS
>         ERL 2086A-0-8
>         0052
> On the white label :
>         SN:24B4G3HBHGWR
>         PRODUCT:3CP5699A
> ----
>
> Thanks a lot for your replies, in advance!
>
> Regards,
> Rahul. (first time Linux user!)

A sure sign that you have a winmodem is that there is a driver.

Real modems don't need drivers.

The makers of winmodems make drivers for Toyland operating systems only,
not for real operating systems such as Linux or OS/2.

A winmodem is simply a modem with the firmware gutted out so that the
computer's processor must use a driver to do what the modem ought to be
doing on its own.    They are also unwilling to release enough information
to let people write Linux drivers.

US Robotics makes good modems, apart from its apperant behaviour in
producing these winmodem abortions.  Their web page has lists of model
numbers for real modems and winmodems.

here is the url:
http://www.usr.com/support/s-main-menu.asp

------------------------------

From: "Rick O'shay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Floppy disk prolem in Mandrake 8
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 03:50:51 -0700

Back-up /etc/fstab. Then change fstab entry to

/dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy    vfat     noauto

Reboot

ro

------------------------------

From: John Roy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat
Subject: Weird IDE Problem with Compaq Deskpro 4000 & RH 6.x
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 12:40:28 GMT

Hi All,
I've tried for days to get information on this problem but seems I'm the
only persons got it - seems other
people with my hardware don't have a problem.

I got a cheap used Compaq Despro 4000 (with P166MMX chip) - I've tried
to install both RH6.1 and RH6.0 - something I've done many times but
here I'm stumped. I put the CD in local CDROM, boot and from there try a
typical but minimal install. After the HD has been partitioned and
during writting the packages to disk the system just hangs someplace
between 0% complete and 95% complete - the other 25% of the time I get a
kernel panic with dump of registers (killing interrupt handler - attempt
to kill the idle task...).

I suspected problems with the HD and do see linux reporting different
C/H/S than bios setup - typically bios says 777/128/63 (for 3209MG disk,
translation on), whereas linux on bootup reports 847/128/63. I've tried
everything - three seperate harddisks (3GB, 4GB and 830MB), LBA
translation on and off, any number of combinations of using the
hda=C,H,S boot option to force the C/H/S under the drive capacity. All
with the
same result. DOS seems to install just fine. Oh, I've also upgraded the
flash BIOS from compaq and tried every last one of thier utilities.

The only clues I have are 1. When I use the hda=C,H,S option and reduce
the capacity of the driver I'm typically able to get a lot further, but
never more than 95% installed - and that was with a 827/32/63 drive
set to 400/15/63. Also ONCE the system hung while reading the CDROM
before doing anything much with
the hda (smells like the IDE controller right?).

Please help I'm stumped - as I said this is a used system from 1997 - so
I don't have all info -
P166MMX processor - builtin in network card. 1 HD only on primary IDE
interface - 3209MB Fuji...
(though I've tried 2 other disks), 1 CDROM drive only on the secondary
IDE. 32MB Ram, IDE
controller and Ethnernet on mainboard.

I only want to use this machine as a firewall - so if I can get around
this HD problem I'll be happy -

Sorry its difficult to give dumps of syslog, but I've examined carefully
and they seem no different from
other machines I have - except for anything noted above - any ideas?,
any magic boot options?, think
my IDE controller or motherboard is fried - (I even tried replacing the
IDE rippon).

Thanks,
John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Briggs)
Subject: Re: SCSI emulation
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:09:25 +0100

Denis Leroy wrote:
:Another way is to add some lines in the modules.conf (following was suggested
:by Paul Johnson) :
:
:alias ide-tape off
:below st ide-scsi

I don't have an /etc/modules.conf file.  Presumably I just create one with
those two lines?

Thanks for your help with this, Denis.

Ian

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: buying a CDR/RW
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:05:24 GMT

Julian Bordas wrote:

> Hello
>     I'm looking at getting a CDR/RW and have narowed it down to three
>
> Creative
> LG
> Cyber
>
> All are 32x8x4
>
> Any ideas or comments on these?
>
> TIA
>
> Julian

LG is goldstar reborn wouldn't touch it.

my 2 cents worth

Richard James

------------------------------

From: Subba Rao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Visual Network Monitoring Tools??
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:09:25 GMT

Are there any visual tools that will generate network maps for network admins?
Most of the tools are commercial and are specific to some platform (OpenView
from HP and NetView from IBM). I am looking for something that could be used on
Linux or OpenBSD.

Any information or pointers appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Subba Rao

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NEC MultiSync LCD1525V
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:25:50 GMT

Karl Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm using an NEC MultiSync LCD1525V monitor on one of my systems and I'm
> having some trouble getting it properly configured in X.  I've tried it in
> both SuSE 7.1 and Mandrake 8.0 and generally get the same results. Most
> apps look fine unless I move them around the screen or scroll inside them,
> when I do that everything seems to blur rather badly.
>
> I've noticed that in SuSE it only shows up in the monitor list if I choose
> to use version 3.3.6 of X.  In Mandrake it shows up regardless of which
> version of X I choose, but if I try 4.04 the colors get really messed up.
> So bad that I can't even read anything on the screen.  A few applications,
> most recently Borlands Kylix but a few others too, even have the color
> problems in 3.3.6, making them unusable.
>
> I've tried the monitor on two systems, one using an Elsa Erazor III LT
> graphics card, and one using and STB Velocity 128.  Both systems work fine
> with other monitors and have the same problems with the NEC, so I don't
> think the problem lies in the video card.
>
> I've been using the front ends provided for X configuration with SuSE and
> Mandrake since I'm not that familiar with the config files for X.  SuSE let
> me manually set the refresh rate, which I set within the ranges specified
> in the monitors manual, but it did no good.  I'm running at the monitors
> native resolution ( 1024x768 ) and I've tried all the available color depth
> settings.
>
> Does anybody else use one of these monitors?  Anybody know how to configure
> it so that it works better than this?
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Karl

I've used a LCD monitor before and fast movement is always a problem.
Have you tried using the monitor in text mode not Xwindows, does this
show the scrolling problem? Have you tried one of those Microsoft things
they call operating systems on it? As that may shed some light as to it
being a driver in Xfree86. Also be more specific about the problem. Some
things I'd like to know are
What Window manager are you using as that could be your problem.
Does the blurring stop when the graphics stop moving?
In the situation where the colors got mixed up did you try this on your
other machines and monitors?

Hope this can help

Richard James

A female deer does what does do.

------------------------------

From: Robert Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Workaround to get HP Colorado IDE tape drives to work under RH7.1 (2.4
kernels).
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.general,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:29:57 +0100

Denis Leroy wrote:

> Leonard Evens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>> I think that as long as I don't try to access the tape drive first
>> as /dev/ht0 (and thus load the ide-tape module), then Denis's
>> fix works fine.   I think I could just put this is rc.local
>> or just load the modules when I need them to use the tape drive.
>>
>> I know several people had complained about not being able to use
>> the HP Colorado IDE tape drives under RH7.1.   I've been trying
>> to track them down without success.  I just came upon Denis's
>> solution by luck, and I think it should be better advertised.
>

> To do that, you can add the line
>
>   alias ide-tape off
>
> in the /etc/modules.conf file
>
> Also, adding
>
>   below st ide-scsi
>
> will force the auto-load of ide-scsi when you access /dev/st0

Now that is a nice way of handling it, but is less general than the method
I use as it will probably interfere with SCSI tape drives you have.

I like the ide-tape off, I wonder if ide-tape works for anyone?  My drive
seemed to work, but positioning commands failed completely and I gave up on
it.  IDE tape drives have a bad reputation, I'm wondering if it's the
driver's fault (ide-tape) because they seem fine once you've got them
operating correctly.

Rob

------------------------------

From: Robert Davies <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What to install for a laptop?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 12:59:11 +0100

3FE wrote:

> On Mon, 28 May 2001 15:06:59 GMT, LRW <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> Need some advice from experienced people.
>> I have an icky 486DX-66 with 16MB RAM and 2GB HD 640x480 laptop.
>> I have RedHat 5.0, RH 6.2, and RH 7.1 and Mandrake 6.0.
>> What would be a better package for this thing? Latest and greatest, like
>> with Windows, is not always a good idea. So I'm leaning toward RH 6.2.
>> But
>
> Personally, I'd go with Mandrake.

Bad choice, he has a 486 and Mandie is optimised for pentium!

RH-6.2 is not bad.

If I were you I'd give Debian (potato) a try, it is very configurable, has
a small minimum footprint, and you can try out lots of Window managers eg)
fvwm2, icewm, sawfish, windowmaker), very easily.  It also has a way to
automatically update with fixes, and a clever way of upgrading to a new
release when it is stable.

>> if I can't get Xwindows to run anyway, the is there any problem with
>> using RH 7.1?

No, but they use a bad compiler version breaking binary compat with other
distros (gcc-2.9.6).

>> Speaking of Xwindows, think any desktop will work? I know Gnome and KDE
>> are right out (darn it), but what about one of the lesser memory
>> intensive
>
> I liked fvwm (not fvwm2) and wm2.

It should work.

Rob

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Strange kernel message about power saving mode
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:00:09 GMT

Look in
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/traps.c

This is the part of the kernel that is generating your error. It appears
you have an unkown hardware error that is generating the NMI interrupt.
Your problem is SEVERE!!!

from site http://www.pctechguide.com/glossary/01general.htm

"NonMaskable Interrupt: a high-priority interrupt that cannot be
disabled by another interrupt. It is used to report malfunctions such as
parity, bus and math co-processor errors."

Or in other words you have a hardware problem most likley your CPU but
in anycase stop using the machine and pull it to bits .Make sure all
fans are working and that every heatsink and fan is clear of dust.
Resocket everything RAM CPU CARDS etc. Then try swapping bits from
another machine until the error goes away.

Hope that helps

Richard James

------------------------------

From: Jan Johansson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:56:30 GMT

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001 12:40:28 GMT, John Roy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I got a cheap used Compaq Despro 4000 (with P166MMX chip) - I've tried
>to install both RH6.1 and RH6.0 - something I've done many times but
>here I'm stumped. I put the CD in local CDROM, boot and from there try a
>typical but minimal install. After the HD has been partitioned and
>during writting the packages to disk the system just hangs someplace
>between 0% complete and 95% complete - the other 25% of the time I get a
>kernel panic with dump of registers (killing interrupt handler - attempt
>to kill the idle task...).

Ive got about a dozen 4000 and 2000 systems, all runs flawlessly, so i
would suspect a hardware failure of some sort. But as to what it might
be i have no idea.

------------------------------

From: Phlip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:  alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: How to install a UMAX SCSI clone onto the NCR5380 driver
Date: 16 Jun 2001 14:11:07 GMT

Linucists:

My outer problem is I want to scan with a UMAX Astra 600S.

My inner problem is this only talks to a UDS-IS11 PC/ISA \n P/N:970160-08
SCSI clone card.

Googling reveals this card has responded to the g_NCR5380 driver.

Our system admin at work says all I need to do is select a driver and then
build it into the kernel instead of leaving it loadable. This will trick
the OS into installing it at boot time instead of at modules.conf time.

So I make menuconfig, and turn the little M...

     <M> Generic NCR5380/53c400 SCSI support

...into a star...

     <*> Generic NCR5380/53c400 SCSI support

then recompile the kernel.

While the kernel cooks, here's the question. What would I write into
modules.conf instead? This line did not work at a console...

        modprobe g_NCR3580 ncr_irq=255 ncr_addr=0x280 ncr_53c400=1

...because modprobe claims g_NCR5380 does not exist.

Another question is what (high-level) HOWTO do I seem to be missing here?

--
  Phlip                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
============== http://phlip.webjump.com ==============

------------------------------

From: mirena <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: X problem
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 16:35:10 +0200

I can't use the program X.
When I do the command : X 1>/tmp/me.out 2>&1
I have the following message: exec of /usr/bin/X11/XF86_NONE failed.

When I do the command: xviddetect
It answers that I have not the right driver for my video card.

When I do the commant: lspci
I can see my video card: VGA compatible controller ATI Technologie Inc
3D Rage P/M Mobility AGP 2x (rev 64)

uname -a : lunix 2.2.17
libc6: 2.1.3-10

What can I do to use the X environment ?
Thank you for your help.

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Two identical HDUs, but Linux disaggrees
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 14:31:41 GMT

Make a linux boot floppy
/usr/src/linux
make bzfloppy ( or something )

Boot from floppy make sure numbers disagree

Remove Western Digital Drive

Boot from floppy and check the numbers again

Just my 2c worth

Richard James

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Forsythe)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Configure Sun A1000 under Linux?
Date: 16 Jun 2001 07:56:59 -0700

We have a Sun A1000 (hardware RAID) that we have to hook
up to a Linux box. Is there a way to configure/manage it
under Linux?  It does have a serial port at the back,
but the manual says it is for "factory/future use".

Any ideas, help would be appreciated.....

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aureal Vortex 2 & Linux
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:00:54 GMT

cc is the generic name of the C compiler in UNIX(R) systems. In linux it
is called gcc. When you type make you run the make program, this reads a
file in the current directory called "Makefile" and according to it's
rules it executes certain commands. Makefile's are used to build
software so that the user doesn't have to type in hundreds of lines to
create a program. So do this from anywhere on a linux command line

type cc and ENTER
and the computer should respond
cc: No input files

If it comes up with
Bash: cc: command not found

Then your C compiler is not installed.
You need it installed but I cannot tell you how because I do not know
what distribution of linux you used (i.e. Redhat, SUSE etc ). So next
time you post please answer the following questions
What distribution are you using
What distribution version you are using
What kernel are you using
Your origonal problem
What directory you typed make install in ( try pwd which is print
working directory )
And what readme file and where on your system it is.

Thanks for your cooperation

Richard James

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: X problem
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 15:03:27 GMT

mirena wrote:

> I can't use the program X.
> When I do the command : X 1>/tmp/me.out 2>&1
> I have the following message: exec of /usr/bin/X11/XF86_NONE failed.
>
> When I do the command: xviddetect
> It answers that I have not the right driver for my video card.
>
> When I do the commant: lspci
> I can see my video card: VGA compatible controller ATI Technologie Inc
> 3D Rage P/M Mobility AGP 2x (rev 64)
>
> uname -a : lunix 2.2.17
> libc6: 2.1.3-10
>

> What can I do to use the X environment ?
> Thank you for your help.

xf86config in /usr/X11/bin should configure X

p.s. you didn't mention what distribution you are using or version of X
windows

my 2c worth

Richard James