From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Red Hat 7.0 Joystick
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:07:40 GMT

The emu10k1 drivers for Red Hat 7.0 do not support the joystick port. I
upgraded from 6.2 to 7.0. In 6.2, a line after the emu10k1 line in
/etc/conf.modules was needed:

alias sound-slot-0 emu10k1
options emu10k1 joystick=0x200

This no longer works in 7.0. Moreover, the /etc/conf.modules file is now
/etc/modules.conf. The solution for me was to get the drivers from
opensource.creative.com (version 20001117) and simply do 'make' in the
main emu10k1 directory. After the 'make' look for a module file called
'emu10k1-joy.o' and copy it to /lib/modules/2.2.16-22smp/misc (I have an
smp system; just remove the 'smp' if you have a single processor
system). Then do 'depmod -a'. Now do 'insmod emu10k1-joy io=0x200'. Note
that I did not use the compiled emu10k1.o module but the default one
from my initial Red Hat 7.0 install.

To automate this process of inserting the modules, in your
/etc/rc.d/rc.local file, add this line:

/sbin/insmod emu10k1-joy io=0x200

so that the joystick port gets enabled. Since I have an MS-Sidewinder, I
also have the following line below the one just above:

/sbin/modprobe joy-sidewinder

which is equivalent to:

/sbin/insmod joystick
/sbin/insmod joy-sidewinder

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Subject: Re: Do optical mice work with Linux?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:21:03 GMT

[Posted and mailed]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Henry S. Greenside) writes:

> Does an optical ball-less mouse like those made by Microsoft
> and Logitech work with Linux? If so, are any special drivers
> necessary?

Yes and no, respectively. You need to focus on the hardware and software
interface, not the optical vs. mechanical nature of the technology. I
have yet to hear of a mouse that flat-out does not work under Linux
(although there's a good chance somebody will post a story in response
to this message). Certainly I've used Logitech optical trackballs and
Mouse Systems optical mice under Linux, though.

--
Rod Smith, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.rodsbooks.com

------------------------------

From: "Jopa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Communication Trouble w/ 3c905B-TXNM
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 21:29:51 -0700

I am not sure but,
first of all know that you should look at:

ifconfig -h                #for all the options

Then try:

ifconfig irq 11 eth0

This should work.

Jopa
~~~~`

news:8v4ak6$469$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: Old School
Date: 18 Nov 2000 04:47:25 GMT

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000 01:36:48 +0000, Michael V. Ferranti wrote:
>And John Hasler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>>Give Debian a try.
>
>       Can you still do without apt, or have they gone the way of RedHat and
>made their distros package-manager dependant?  I'm thinking of switching to
>Debian, but I don't want to get stuck with a commercialized version of
>Linux that may or may not become a success.

Parse error:  "Debian" and "commercialized" without an "isn't" in between.
Core dumped.

*cough*  Every distro in existence is dependent on some sort of package
tool.  Even Slack, which installs binaries from tarballs using pkgtool.
You certainly *can* do without a package manager--there's even a HOWTO
on it called "Linux From Scratch".  A package manager is just one of
those things that makes life easier, so everybody has one.

Debian will be around for a while, I'm sure.  Plus, "alien" can convert
RPM to .deb or .tgz, and alien is a Perl script.  Give Debian a try.
apt is *very* nice if you have a fast Net drop, and it's mostly put
together by unpaid hackers who do this sort of thing for fun and
prestige.  Enjoy....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: NTFS mount by Red Hat 7.0
Date: 18 Nov 2000 04:47:26 GMT

On Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:40:13 +0100, Jürg Schär wrote:
>Is NTFS supported by Linux, say in Redhat 7.0?
>I tried to mount in read only mode my Win2k NTFS partition.
>But it doesn't work. I tried the type hpfs and vfat, but both of them
>doesn't work.

The NTFS used by 2K and the NTFS used by NT 4.0 are not the same NTFS.
(Standards?  Backwards combatibility?  Riiight.)  Work is being done on
this, but I believe said work is present only in the 2.4.x kernels.

From: "Michael Jones" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: adapter for 3.5" HDD to 5.25" bay, in USA
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 04:56:01 GMT

Michal,

What you are looking for is a 3 1/2 inch drive mounting kit.  The kit
contains 2 U-shaped rails that mount on each side of your hard drive,
thus allowing it to be mounted into a 5 1/4 inch drive bay.  The kit
should also have the necessary screws for attaching the rails to the
hard drive, and screws for mounting the completed assembly into the
drive bay.

This is a link to the Radio Shack Corporation online sales site:
www.radioshack.com

The mounting kit is found at this specific address:
http://www.radioshack.com/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5F
name=CTLG%5F003%5F003%5F004%5F000&Page=1

The item is you are looking for is:

     Universal 3 1/2" Mounting Kit  Catalog #: 950-0359

            Price:  $4.99 U.S.  plus shipping and handling

            These are very common items and should be available in any
reputable computer shop.

      Good luck with your project.

      Michael Jones  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

      Good Luck is when preparation meets opportunity.

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (TopQuark)
Subject: Re: 1GB Linux memory limitation?
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 05:36:26 GMT

On Sun, 5 Nov 2000 15:58:58 +0100, Bora Ugurlu
        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Steve Gage wrote:
>
> > Dr Aldo Medina wrote:

> > > I'm not an expert, but my kernel configuration (2.2.16-3) ask me to
> > > choose between 1G or 2G mode.
> >
> > ... and I believe that the forthcoming 2.4 kernel supports 4G.
>
> Yes, it will.
> The 2.4_test9 kernel already supports 4G memory. I have it installed - err,
> the kernel of  course, not 4G ram :)

So, has it actually been tested with 4Gb installed?  Damn, now we have
to start donating our virtual beer money to support the "Buy RAM for
the 4Gb memory kernel test!"

Would that be 4Gb / node in a Beowulf system?  :-)

     TopQuark Software & Serv.  Contract programmer, server bum.
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] Give up Spammers; I use procmail.

------------------------------

From: "chrismendes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux for the 486
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 05:49:16 GMT

Is it still possible to get off-the-shelf linux installed on an old 486 ?
How hard would it be to do this ?

------------------------------

From: Markus Kossmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 05:59:07 +0100

"Jürg Schär" wrote:

> Is NTFS supported by Linux, say in Redhat 7.0?
>
> I tried to mount in read only mode my Win2k NTFS partition.
> But it doesn't work. I tried the type hpfs and vfat, but both of them
> doesn't work.
You will have to mount it with type ntfs. But AFAIK redhat doesn't ship
a kernel with NTFS support enabled. So you have to recompile your kernel
for adding NTFS support first.

--
Markus Kossmann

From: "Enrico Ng" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: fasttrak66 and slackware
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 23:45:40 -0600

I am having problems with using the promise fasttrak66 with slackware.
I have a fasttrak66 with two identical drives striped.  I want to install
slackware (on a drive on my regular IDE) but the cd wont boot up all the
way.
when I try booting with ata66.i it gets to
PDC20262: (U)DMA Burst Bit ENABLED Primary MASTER Mode Secondary
MASTER Mode.
    ide2: ...
and just hangs.
booting off the cd doesnt even get to this step.

I was wondering if anyone ever got this to work?
thanx
--
Enrico Ng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Linux for the 486
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 06:04:15 GMT

chrismendes wrote:

> Is it still possible to get off-the-shelf linux installed on an old 486 ?
> How hard would it be to do this ?

linux will install on a 386, it is just slower

------------------------------

From: Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problems setting up TV-Card
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 01:05:56 -0500

Hi Oliver!

Jan Oliver Koch wrote:

> I have installed a Hauppauge TV-Card, which works well under Win98.
> Now I would like to make ist work under Linux (Suse 7.0 distribution).
> I have set up all the necessary options described in the bttv
> documentation. When I try to start kwintv I get the error message :
> error opening v4lx device /dev/video : no device found. (translated from
> german)
>
> /dev/video does exist.
>
> What can I do ?
>
> Thanks for your help,

I just installed a Pinnacle Studio PCTV card, similar to the Hauppage,
and I had the exact same problem. Follow the link below, and follow the
instructions. It will work!

http://www.tls.cena.fr/~jestin/bttv/bttv-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.1

Good Luck!
Tim

--
Timothy J. Schutte
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 06:08:28 GMT

I don't remember if 3com has plug-and-pray if so turn it off and set the IRQ to
10, should start just fine

------------------------------

From: Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 01:11:22 -0500

Hi,

chrismendes wrote:

> Is it still possible to get off-the-shelf linux installed on an old 486 ?
> How hard would it be to do this ?

Sure, you could get it to work. You probably could not use X windows,
but it could do just about anything else, depending on the size of the
HD and the memory capacity.

Good Luck!
Tim

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: X video on SiS Xcel 2000
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 06:32:11 GMT

I'm helping a friend get a copy of Mandrake Linux installed on a PIII
600Mhz system he has on a cheap everything-is-integrated motherboard.
The chipset for the board (which, presumably, also houses the on-board
video that he is using) has a heatsink attached to it that says Xcel 2000
which is made by SiS.  I tried to find some info on compatable video
chipsets on SiS' site, but found nothing.

I have Linux running on the machine, but the Mandrake(/redhat) autodetect
routines apparently have problems detecting the capabilities of the
chipset due to the shared video/main memory ('error detecting cards
memory' or something like that).  I've tried a few things  but I cannot
seem to do any better than run X in something like 320x200 XVGA mode.

Has anyone had any experience with this chipset?  Can anyone help me to
get this thing running X properly?

Thanks in advance ->
Nick North

From: "Joe User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Integrated AIC-7890  + PCI AIC-29160 woes
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 13:45:13 -0500

"D. Stimits" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Tien Duc Nguyen wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> >             I would be greatful if someone could enlighten me on this:
> > My Linux box is running RH Linux 6 kernel 2.2.5; an integrated AIC-7890
> > is already installed and working with 3 devices: id 0 is a
> > Quantum disk, id 3 is a VXA-1 tape, id 4 is a SEAGATE drive and id 7 is
> > the AIC-7890 itself. When i install the PCI AIC-29160,
> > an reboot linux, the kernel loads the driver and detecs the Quantum, and
> > VXA-1 but on the SEAGATE it choke.
> > The principal message is:
> >
> > scsci bus is being reset for host 1 channel 0.
> > etc
> >
> > Tien duc
>
> What are the contents of:
> /proc/scsi/scsi
> /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0
>
> and probably:
> /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/1
>
> What is listed for any aic7xxx lines in file:
> /proc/interrupts
>
> ?

Oops, sorry

Ok, /proc/scsi/scsi:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: ATLAS IV 9 WLS   Rev: 0707
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 03
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 03 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ECRIX    Model: VXA-1            Rev: 2112
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
  Vendor: SEAGATE  Model: ST318275LW       Rev: 0001
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

and /proc/scsi/aic7xxx/0:

Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 5.1.15/3.2.4
Compile Options:
  TCQ Enabled By Default : Disabled
  AIC7XXX_PROC_STATS     : Enabled
  AIC7XXX_RESET_DELAY    : 5

Adapter Configuration:
           SCSI Adapter: Adaptec AIC-7890/1 Ultra2 SCSI host adapter
                           Ultra-2 LVD/SE Wide Controller
    PCI MMAPed I/O Base: 0xe3000000
 Adapter SEEPROM Config: SEEPROM found and used.
      Adaptec SCSI BIOS: Enabled
                    IRQ: 5
                   SCBs: Active 0, Max Active 2,
                         Allocated 15, HW 32, Page 255
             Interrupts: 15443
      BIOS Control Word: 0x18a6
   Adapter Control Word: 0x1c5e
   Extended Translation: Enabled
Disconnect Enable Flags: 0xffff
     Ultra Enable Flags: 0x0000
 Tag Queue Enable Flags: 0x0000
Ordered Queue Tag Flags: 0x0000
Default Tag Queue Depth: 8
    Tagged Queue By Device array for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255}
    Actual queue depth per device for aic7xxx host instance 0:
      {1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1}

Statistics:

(scsi0:0:0:0)
  Device using Wide/Sync transfers at 40.0 MByte/sec, offset 31
  Transinfo settings: current(12/31/1/0), goal(12/127/1/0), user(10/127/1/0)
  Total transfers 10861 (4983 reads and 5878 writes)
             < 2K      2K+     4K+     8K+    16K+    32K+    64K+   128K+
   Reads:       1    3197     164     590     639     125     137     130
  Writes:       0    5065     487     286      18       2       0      20

(scsi0:0:3:0)
  Device using Narrow/Sync transfers at 10.0 MByte/sec, offset 31
  Transinfo settings: current(25/31/0/0), goal(10/127/1/0), user(10/127/1/0)
  Total transfers 0 (0 reads and 0 writes)
             < 2K      2K+     4K+     8K+    16K+    32K+    64K+   128K+
   Reads:       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0
  Writes:       0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0

(scsi0:0:4:0)
  Device using Wide/Sync transfers at 40.0 MByte/sec, offset 15
  Transinfo settings: current(12/15/1/0), goal(10/127/1/0), user(10/127/1/0)
  Total transfers 4404 (4397 reads and 7 writes)
             < 2K      2K+     4K+     8K+    16K+    32K+    64K+   128K+
   Reads:       1    4387       2       3       0       1       3       0
  Writes:       0       6       1       0       0       0       0       0

and /proc/interrupts:

CPU0
  0:    1593731          XT-PIC  timer
  1:     309          XT-PIC  keyboard
  2:          0          XT-PIC  cascade
  5:      15438          XT-PIC  aic7xxx
  8:          2          XT-PIC  rtc
 10:       1541          XT-PIC  eth1
 11:       4773          XT-PIC  eth0
 13:          1          XT-PIC  fpu
 14:          6          XT-PIC  ide0
NMI:          0

Upon inserting the AIC-29160, it becomes scsi1, using IRQ 10 (I kown, the
eth1 is
using it, but the boot util don't allow to change it as far as I know), scsi
id #7 for the card itself.
The boot screen attest this as the aic7xxx sequencer code is downloaded
(whatever that means)
for both cards.
Again, this is all the default settings, with the default kernel of RH 6.
I have checked the mailing list of dev.linux.scsi at rutgers and it seems
certain Seagate SCSI
disks have problems with old aic7xxx code (with the RH 6 version, it's
v3.2.x something according
to the source header), but the latest is 5.1.xx something with a a slew of
patches in between.

Thanks for any info,

Tien Duc