On Sat, Jan 08, 2000, Ilya Konstantinov wrote about "Re: IGLU@eGroups (was: is there
newsgroup for linux-il ?)":

> Ira Abramov wrote:
> > * spam protected web archives
>
> A list of Linux gurus, and nobody jumps to implement it?
> I mean, what is it all about? hiding of e-mail? a web interface
> to shoot an email message?

Last November I suggested that *all* emails in the mailing list archive
are changed to something like "email@hidden". I was dismissed, saying that
there are better methods (like turning emails into calls to a CGI which
translates a strange number into your email and sends you a message) and
that my method removes all emails from a message, not only the sender's,
and that people can't answer the sender.

Since nobody implemented any "better" method, how about implemeneting the
very simple method I suggested (only for the archives, not for the list
itself which will still have emails in it):
sed 's/[a-zA-Z0-9_.-]*\@[a-zA-Z0-9_.-]*[a-zA-Z0-9_-]/email@hidden/g' < in >out

However, protecting the archive isn't enough for protecting the list members:
Spammers can register to mailing lists, get all the email from the list and
harvest the emails in them. It's trivial to do :( Then it wouldn't even help
removing the emails from the archive. The best approach would be to have
a good filter using words in the message and blacklists: I'm so pleased with
my filters that I stopped caring whether my email address gets harvested -
less than 1% of the spam gets through them. I even post to usenet with my
real address :)

By the way, spammers can easily find addresses of mailing lists, and once they
find one they can write a robot that, in 5 minutes, subscribes to a mailing
list from a throw-away or fake account, post their spam - and repeat that for
10,000 mailing lists. I haven't seen this happening yet, but there HAVE been
mailing-list bomb attacks: where someone registers another person to 1,000
mailing lists, and watch his server crash when all these mailing lists start
sending in stuff... I don't see how we can protect ourselves against that :(

> > * better return time of messages from the list (Listar shortened
> > majordomo's response time from hours to minutes, Egroups takes usually
> > only seconds)
>
> Now, why that happens? Is Ely's server too overloaded? How come
> the US-located (I guess) Egroups would have superior delivery
> time than ours? Egroups is probably overloaded while we can
> always set up a box nearly dedicated.

Majordomo's and Sendmail's default setup does not multithread when sending
messages, so the default setup doesn't take seconds to deliver everything.
But it rarely takes more than a few minutes to deliver everything, as far
as I noticed, so I don't see what the problem is. This mailing list isn't
for real-time chat.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |      Saturday, Jan 8 2000, 2 Shevat 5760
Phone: +972-53-245868, ICQ 13349191 |I have an open mind - it's just closed