NHE>> Since nobody implemented any "better" method, how about
NHE>> implemeneting the very simple method I suggested (only for the
NHE>> archives, not for the list itself which will still have emails
NHE>> in it): sed
NHE>> 's/[a-zA-Z0-9_.-]*\@[a-zA-Z0-9_.-]*[a-zA-Z0-9_-]/email@hidden/g'
NHE>> < in >out

I suggest a better method for the paranoids among us, which won't kill
addressed but would defeat address-harvesters - making @ be " at " and .
be " dot ". So [EMAIL PROTECTED] becomes nyh at math dot technion
dot ac dot il.

NHE>> However, protecting the archive isn't enough for protecting
NHE>> the list members: Spammers can register to mailing lists, get

Oh, yeah. They also could come to your home and beat you with rubber hose
until you'll give them your address book and all mail archives. Come on.
No spammer does this - too much effort for too little money. 99.9% of
smapper use ready address lists, and remaning 0.01% use automatic
crawlers. Nobody will make such a trouble to get some 100 addresses.
--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]      \/  There shall be counsels taken
Stanislav Malyshev      /\  Stronger than Morgul-spells