On Sun, 21 May 2000, Ira Abramov wrote:

> On 21 May 2000, Oleg Goldshmidt wrote:
>
> > IIRC, ssh is developed and maintained from Finland. I am sure the
> > company has a US presence, in all probability in SIlicon Valley, but
> > I don't think ssh ever was a purely US product. Therefore, there
> > should not be a problem with shipping it outside of US.
> >
> > Besides, there are 2 versions, commerciall and non-commercial. I
> > suspect there is a difference in encription, and I don't know which
> > is shipped by KRUD.

The ssh packages come in two versions: a "us" one, that users RSAREF, and
an "international" one, that doesn't.

ssh1 is freely distributable (IIRC). Butt there is also openssh, which has
no commercial issues.
Anybody here tried openssh 2.1 (the added ssh2 protocol support to that
recent version)?

But I remeber seeing an advisory on RedHat's updates list about a problem
with an ssh package (that was incorrectly packaged by RH staf, IIRC)

> if it was that simple redhat and everybody would have sold it
> too. Mandrake, which is in France, doesn't include it on the CD

Mandrake is in Fance, or the US?

> either. there ARE legal problems with it.

Mandrake makes it availble for download from a seperate site. If you
manage to set up an internet connection at install time you have the
option of downloading all of those packages at install-time.

Anyway - this is one of the things I added to my modified Mandrake image.

--
Tzafrir Cohen
http://www.technion.ac.il/~tzafrir