On Mon, 22 May 2000, Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> The ssh packages come in two versions: a "us" one, that users RSAREF, and
> an "international" one, that doesn't.

and neither is allowed to be exported from the USA. although they were
first IMported to begin with, doesn't matter (yes, weird law)

> ssh1 is freely distributable (IIRC). Butt there is also openssh, which has
> no commercial issues.

but has the same re-export problem (it's not developed in the US either)

> > if it was that simple redhat and everybody would have sold it
> > too. Mandrake, which is in France, doesn't include it on the CD
>
> Mandrake is in Fance, or the US?

like I wrote, Mandrake is a French company. although I heard rumors they
want to open a dev center in Israel. anyone knows who their local
contact is?

> Mandrake makes it availble for download from a seperate site. If you
> manage to set up an internet connection at install time you have the
> option of downloading all of those packages at install-time.

works nice, but lets you choose only from a limited list of European
sites. if you figure out how to edit that list when making a distro,
please add the one on IGLU.

> Anyway - this is one of the things I added to my modified Mandrake image.

ssh needs to generate a host key on installation, and do it in /mnt/etc
instead of /etc if done in the CD install stage. does it do that
correctly?

--
Ira Abramov ; Penguinophile ; www.linux.org.il
"Linux poses a real challenge for those with a taste for late-night