Hello, I am sorry that I am joining this list only now that I need help,
but hope you give me a warm welcome.

Bottom line of the long story is that I did something like
 rm -r /
and only hit Ctrl-C after a short while. I did it this morning from a
remote shell and all I know is that the /bin dir is gone and now I
cannot login again. The computer is still running at home because it's
also a bridge for my LAN so my family can still surf from the other
computer.

Now I'm searching for a way to re-link all the files that were unlinked
during a very specific period of time. Is there such a way to use the
filesystem's journal or am I only having fantasies about easy recovery?

I read this post but I'm not sure whether the described method is the
right solution to my problem.
http://www.antrix.net/journal/techtalk/reiserfs_data_recovery_howto.comments
The main idea there is
 reiserfsck --rebuild-tree -S -l /root/recovery.log /dev/hda3
and then find what you need from /lost+found (in my case it would be
everything). My best hope right now is to find /bin,/etc,/usr... in
/lost+found and just mv them back to /.

The long story: I played a bit with libpam-chroot a few days ago and was
unable to chroot to new jail. It said that it cannot find the file
/bin/bash although it was there. Today, at work, I came up with the idea
to try chrooting to a real environment, so I know everything is ok and I
only need to tweak the jail. I did
 /# mkdir /jail
 /# mount /dev/[my root partition] /jail
 /# mount /dev/[my home partition] /jail/home
 /# chroot jail/ /bin/bash
 /# ls /jail/
and everything seemed ok because nothing was mounted under the new
/jail/ dir.
Happy as I was, I exit'ed the chroot and nearly left the room as I
decided to delete the new jail. I did
 /# rm -r /jail/
and only hit Ctrl-C when it started to report about the /dev/pt? that
was in use and could not be deleted.

Your feedback and advice would be very appreciated,
Amir Yalon