On Fri, Jan 19, 2007 at 12:18:23AM +0200, Oded Arbel wrote:
> As far as I know, the actual pipes leading out of Israel (fiber and
> satellites) are far from being fully utilized (I no longer have up to
> date figures, but I'd be surprised if int'l connectivity is at over 50%
> capacity), and its cheaper to get more bandwidth "on demand" then lower
> throughput to customers, in case of unexpected usage peaks.

But that's not my point. While it's cheaper to get more bandwidth on
demand, if you are trying to raise profits in anticipation of selling
the company, then the easiest way is to limit your throughput, if you
pay by either (or both) throughput (bytes transfered) or peak demand.

Since during peak demand people have gotten used to lower performance, they
hardly could tell. If you can limit your peak bandwidth to 90% of what it was
and save 10% of your real costs, it would make a big difference. Your
customers probably would not notice, but the purchaser of your company
would.

By the time the customers figured out what happened, the sale would have
been made, and you would be sitting on a beach in Tahiti. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, Jerusalem, Israel [EMAIL PROTECTED]  N3OWJ/4X1GM
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667  Fax ONLY: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838