Quoting Oren Held <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

On Monday 25 February 2008 06:36, Avraham Rosenberg wrote:
> I feel dumb.. Am I missing something, or is it just impossible to send
> Right-To-Left mails in plaintext?
> Must I use HTML mails when I write in Hebrew?

I use plain text for my E-mail in Hebrew (Mailer mutt, editor vi). My only
real problems are with the choice of encoding (utf-8 or ISO) and, when
writing to people who use windows, I have to remember that their mail
clients automatically reverse direction. So that I have to use a terminal
in which the Hebrew text appears reversed in my system.
As there is a variety of mailers in windows, and they do not treat Hebrew
exactly the same way, I receive from time to time complains about some
problems. Actually, I am not sure that these problems are related to their
mailer. The problem may be just the size of their window/vs the length of
my lines. Keeping lines short is a safe bet.

First, kudos for using vim for mails. (Real men use 'ed' =) )

Maybe I was unclear: I wasn't talking about using Logical Hebrew - this I take
for granted.. I was talking about 'align to the right' and putting the text
in 'RTL mode', so that mixed Hebrew lines with few English words inside
would be rendered correctly.

I find it funny if it's just not possible in plaintext.. I like plaintext :)

What you are referring to is text directionality. It's the parameter that guides the bilingual display algorithm. If the general text directionality is right-to-left, for example, the algorithm will place punctuation on the left side of a sentence and order parts in different directionalities properly from right to left.

Anyway, it's possible to do so in plain text if you use unicode, and embed unicode directionality characters at the beginning (and possibly the end - depending on your choince of directionality characters) of the paragraph.

However, though this method should work, some MUAs break long paragraphs into separate lines (which, from the unicode definition perspective, means that each line is a separate paragraph). That would cause only the first line in the paragraph will have proper directionality (it will be the only one that starts with a directionality character) and the rest will break.

The bottom line is that it is virtually impossible to properly display Hebrew if you use plaintext in e-mail.

Herouth