On 25/02/2008, Oron Peled <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> כפי שהיא צריכה להיות, מימין לשמאל וצמודה לימין.
>  אני משתמש ב־kmail גרסה 3.5.8 ב-Fedora.
>  In applications that use correct bidi algorithm the RTL is a given.
>  However the unicode bidi alrgorithm does not specify (AFAIR) the
>  *initial* paragraph direction.
>
>  So if there is no explicit information (e.g: RLE), the application
>  should have a reasonable heuristic. The most common such rule
>  is to use the first character of the paragraph as an implicit
>  direction setter (IIRC that is what bidiv uses).
>
>  דגשים:
>   - אני משתמש רק בטקסט רגיל, לא HTML (ובקידוד UTF-8).
>
>   - היישור עובד טוב גם כשיש תווים נייטרלים בתחילת שורה (כמו המקפים
>     והרווחים בתחילת שורות אלו).
>
>   - בעקבות אזכור של מישהו (איני זוכר מי) גיליתי שהתו מקף עליון '־' מוגדר
>     ביוניקוד כתו עם ישור ימין-שמאל. זה פותר המון בעיות של צירופים קשים
>     כגון "ה־9 לחודש" (נסו לכתוב זאת עם מקף רגיל).
>     הבעיה -- התן הזה חסר בגופנים נפוצים ב־Windows (כמו Arial וכו'),
>     לכן צמצמתי קצת את השימוש בו. האם במערכות שלכם רואים אותו?

In Gmail:
http://dotancohen.com/images/examples/tzafrir.png

I always send UTF-8 plaintext through Thunderbird. In Thunderbird with
the bidi extension, one can ALT-SHIFT-X to change text alignment. This
is for display only, though, and does not affect the message sent.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.