On Thursday 09 October 2008, shimi wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> > My assumption is that I could still use the same router after moving to
> > HOT. I
> > would just have to unplug the ADSL line and plug the HOT modem into one
> > of the ethernet ports on the router. Am I correct?
>
> If you could fit a RJ-45 plug into a RJ-11 socket... (and even if you had
> an adapter, the unit expects a phone line with a DSLAM on the other end,
> and not an Ethernet...)...
>
> No, you can't. The only thing you can maybe use it for, is, as a dumb
> switch between the ports. But then, you won't have something to do your NAT
> for you. However, if you have <= 3 computers, you _might_ get a long with
Now I'm confused. Firstly, I certainly don't expect to plug the HOT modem into
the ADSL plug. As I already wrote (see quote above), I thought I could plug
the HOT modem into one of the ethernet ports. I may be missing something, but
I don't understand why you say I wouldn't be able to use the NAT facility of
the router. If the HOT modem plugs into one ethernet port and several
computers use the rest of the ethernet ports on the router, why would the
router not funtion. Of course it wouldn't be connecteted to the internet
directly, but it would be connected to the HOT modem. Am I completely wrong
aout this being possible?

--
Shlomo Solomon
http://the-solomons.net