On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 10:20:22PM +0200, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> On Thursday 09 October 2008, shimi wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> > > My assumption is that I could still use the same router after moving to
> > > HOT. I
> > > would just have to unplug the ADSL line and plug the HOT modem into one
> > > of the ethernet ports on the router. Am I correct?
> >
> > If you could fit a RJ-45 plug into a RJ-11 socket... (and even if you had
> > an adapter, the unit expects a phone line with a DSLAM on the other end,
> > and not an Ethernet...)...
> >
> > No, you can't. The only thing you can maybe use it for, is, as a dumb
> > switch between the ports. But then, you won't have something to do your NAT
> > for you. However, if you have <= 3 computers, you _might_ get a long with
> Now I'm confused. Firstly, I certainly don't expect to plug the HOT modem
> into
> the ADSL plug. As I already wrote (see quote above), I thought I could plug
> the HOT modem into one of the ethernet ports. I may be missing something, but
> I don't understand why you say I wouldn't be able to use the NAT facility of
> the router. If the HOT modem plugs into one ethernet port and several
> computers use the rest of the ethernet ports on the router, why would the
> router not funtion. Of course it wouldn't be connecteted to the internet
> directly, but it would be connected to the HOT modem. Am I completely wrong
> aout this being possible?

Shlomo, you should understand that not all routers are made equal.
Unless there is very accurate documentation for yours, you'll simply
need to experiment. Most home/ADSL routers I know have either of the
following:

1. One RJ11 (phone) port plus one RJ45 (Ethernet) port.

If that's what you have, you'll naturally need at least something (such
as a small hub/switch) to connect more than one machine.

2. One RJ45 (ethernet) port marked WAN and four RJ45 ports marked LAN.

In either case, it depends on the router's _software_ whether it will
work in the HOT env or not. "2." is more likely to work, depending on
MPLS/DHCP/pptp/l2tp/whatever support in HOT and in the router. "1." is
less likely to work, but is not impossible: Theoretically, you can
connect the router, the HOT modem, and your machines, all to the same
switch/hub, and the router can (theoretically!) *route* over its single
used port - get packets from the machines in some addresses, send them
to the HOT modem in whatever form it expects them, and the reverse. It's
certainly doable in a general-purpose Linux box, although not common.
It's also not very secure - theoretically, in such a scenario, a local
machine can try and bypass the router and talk directly to the modem,
causing lots of interesting problems.

Now, as I understand, what you have has 1 RJ11 port (intended to be
connected to the ADSL phone line) and four RJ45 ports. This might seems
similar to case "2." above, but actually might be more like "1." - and
as I said, you can't know beforehand if it will work, unless you either
have full control over the router (such as if you run on it one of the
WRT54GL distributions) or its documentation says it will.

I personally have no experience at all with HOT. From what I read in
this thread, without commenting on the QOS issues, it seems to me that
even if it won't work with your router, buying a new one that will
should not cost more than 200-300 NIS, perhaps even less if you do not
need wireless access, so it's not a huge risk, and if the HOT deal is
considerably cheaper, the difference will be returned after several
months of usage.
--
Didi