On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Shlomo Solomon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On Wednesday 08 October 2008, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > Do remember that unlike PPTP/L2TP, as far as my firewall is concerned
> > (which connects directly over Ethernet to the HOT modem), I'm using
> > normal IP-over-Ethernet to connect to the Internet (with somewhat lower
> > MTU).
>
> Since in my case (still using ADSL), my router is also ADSL capable and has
> built-in firewall (I think most routers do), all the machines on my network
> connect to ethernet ports on the router - no single computer is actually
> connected directly to the Internet.
>
> My assumption is that I could still use the same router after moving to
> HOT. I
> would just have to unplug the ADSL line and plug the HOT modem into one of
> the ethernet ports on the router. Am I correct?

If you could fit a RJ-45 plug into a RJ-11 socket... (and even if you had an
adapter, the unit expects a phone line with a DSLAM on the other end, and
not an Ethernet...)...

No, you can't. The only thing you can maybe use it for, is, as a dumb switch
between the ports. But then, you won't have something to do your NAT for
you. However, if you have <= 3 computers, you _might_ get a long with
receiving 3 public IP addresses from your ISP, should you chose to go MPLS
route, and connect all 3 computers "directly" to the HOT modem.

This is the reason why people should avoid buying a router with an embedded
modem - it works only with Bezeq, and makes you buy a second router later...

I strongly advise you to go the MPLS route, especially if you have a router.
L2TP is a nightmare for many, many routers out there (and in general. Do you
know how fun is it to have your connections sustain a carrier loss of the
modem?). I have nothing but troubles since I agreed to move back from MPLS
to LT2P (Why did I agree? See [1]). MPLS was ROCK SOLID - and I plan to go
back ASAP.

-- Shimi

[1] http://shimi.net/2008/07/28/et-tu-bezeqint/