On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 10:20 PM, Shlomo Solomon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>wrote:

> On Thursday 09 October 2008, shimi wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Shlomo Solomon wrote:
> > > My assumption is that I could still use the same router after moving to
> > > HOT. I
> > > would just have to unplug the ADSL line and plug the HOT modem into one
> > > of the ethernet ports on the router. Am I correct?
> >
> > If you could fit a RJ-45 plug into a RJ-11 socket... (and even if you had
> > an adapter, the unit expects a phone line with a DSLAM on the other end,
> > and not an Ethernet...)...
> >
> > No, you can't. The only thing you can maybe use it for, is, as a dumb
> > switch between the ports. But then, you won't have something to do your
> NAT
> > for you. However, if you have <= 3 computers, you _might_ get a long with
>

> Now I'm confused. Firstly, I certainly don't expect to plug the HOT modem
> into
> the ADSL plug. As I already wrote (see quote above), I thought I could plug
> the HOT modem into one of the ethernet ports. I may be missing something,
> but
> I don't understand why you say I wouldn't be able to use the NAT facility
> of
> the router. If the HOT modem plugs into one ethernet port and several
> computers use the rest of the ethernet ports on the router, why would the
> router not funtion. Of course it wouldn't be connecteted to the internet
> directly, but it would be connected to the HOT modem. Am I completely wrong
> aout this being possible?

I read what you wrote :) My point was to say that those routers with ADSL
modems are "designed" to use the DSL port as the WAN port.

This is how it basically works for the best of my knowledge:
1. DSL modem gets synchronized with the DSLAM
2. AFTER 1 IS SUCCESSFUL, The router sets up a PPP link with the ISP using
the credentials you defined in the router (unless the router has been
defined as "Bridge" and then you do it from your PC)
3. The router gets IP address from the other side
4. The router sets default route to the PPP link
5. The router enables masquerading for all traffic coming from the LAN
interface, going out to the PPP interface. (like iptables -t nat -A
POSTROUTING -o ppp0 -j MASQUERADE)

I hope it's now more clear on why this won't happen with the WAN modem
connected on one of the LAN ports, unless you are able to replace the
firmware with your own (or it's Linux based and you have SSH access to
tinker with those settings...)

-- Shimi