From: "Mauro Carvalho Chehab"
To: "Unembossed Name"
Cc: <linux-media@vger.kernel.org>; "Devin Heitmueller"
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2015 4:22 PM
Subject: Re: XC5000C 0x14b4 status

After that RF tuner identification became always successful.
I had a conversation with a hardware vendor.
Now I can say, that such behaviour, most likely, because of  "early" firmware
for XC5000C.
This hardware vendor is using for his Windows driver a latest firmware, and reading Product ID register always gives 0x14b4 status.
As he says, 0x1388 status is only for previous XC5000 IC. (Without C at end of
a P/N)
Is this possible to patch xc5000.c with something like this:

 #define XC_PRODUCT_ID_FW_LOADED 0x1388
+#define XC_PRODUCT_ID_FW_LOADED_XC5000C 0x14b4

  case XC_PRODUCT_ID_FW_LOADED:
+ case XC_PRODUCT_ID_FW_LOADED_XC5000C:
   printk(KERN_INFO
    "xc5000: Successfully identified at address 0x%02x\n",

Or to try to get a chip vendor's permission for using a latest firmware for
XC5000C in Linux, and then anyway, patch the driver?

IMHO, the best is to get the latest firmware licensed is the best
thing to do.
Agreed. If that possible of course.

Does that "new" xc5000c come with a firmware pre-loaded already?
It's not "new" IC. It's XC5000C. Maybe i was interpreted wrong.
As I have understood, such behaviour can depends from FW version.
HW vendor says, that with his latest FW he always gets response 0x14b4.
Not a 0x1388. And I think, that these ICs still come without pre-loaded FW.
HW vendor also didn't says anything about FW pre-load possibility.

Best regards.