Correct.  These are not parts that have any form of default firmware
in their ROM mask (i.e. not like the silabs or micronas parts which
have a default firmware and the ability to patch the ROM via a
software loaded code update).  The firmware must be loaded every time
the chip is brought out of reset or it won't work at all.

An image of the top of the tuner clearly showing any manufacturing
markings would be welcome - assuming its accessible.

It's a best picture I could find:
http://www.reviews.ru/clause/over/T7_2/image41.jpg

Also, at least 2 users was successful with using Behold TV T7 tuner with
"my" Linux driver for it, then I shared it with others a year ago.

HW vendor also says, that Linux FW 4.1.30.7 for XC5000C (from KernelLabs)
reminds him "an old 4.1" numeration scheme from 2010 year. But he was unable to
understand it's date.

Also he says, that for XC5000C they are already long time using 0.6.30.5, and
it's
always gives a 0x14b4.
// Filename : Xc5000_firmwares.h
// Generated : 2012/3/5 ¤W¤È 08:34:27
// Firmware version : 0.6; Release Number: 30.5