Linux-Misc Digest #225, Volume #19               Sun, 28 Feb 99 05:13:10 EST

Contents:
  PPP setup (Rocco Dimase)
  Re: PPP setup (Rocco Dimase)
  Re: More bad news for NT (Perry Pip)
  Re: Finding filename from inode (Frank Ranner)
  Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?) (jik-)
  Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?) (jik-)
  Re: What if software could think? (jik-)
  Re: PPP setup (Bill Unruh)
  Re: RH vs SuSE (Monte Milanuk)
  Re: KDE question (jik-)
  Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?) (Tom Keats)
  Re: Ethernet card (Berthold Mueller)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
  soundcard problem (uday kiran)
  Re: need some application recommendations (David M. Cook)
  Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
  QUESTION:  How to send html or other MIME type from command line. (Ben Greear)
  Re: System Commander Won't Boot Linux (John Culver)
  Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?) (Andreas Klemm)
  Re: setting the IRQ on the 3c589 (Peter Bruley)
  Re: Any JDK for Linux? (Christopher Walsh)

From: Rocco Dimase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP setup
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 18:29:44 +1100

Hello all,
        I have managed to get most of PPP to work under X Windows using
Linuxconf, but I still need to go to a shell and type "route add default
ppp0" before I can use Netscape Communicator or even do a ping. Surely I
shoulld also be able to set this up via Linuxconf, there is something
about routes in Linuxconf but they don't seem to allow Netscape
Communicator to work.

TIA

Rocco Dimase
[EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To see pictures of Melbourne Australia checkout my homepage
http://www.netspace.net.au/~rocky/

------------------------------

From: Rocco Dimase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP setup
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 18:32:07 +1100

> Hello all,
>         I have managed to get most of PPP to work under X Windows using
> Linuxconf, but I still need to go to a shell and type "route add default
> ppp0" before I can use Netscape Communicator or even do a ping. Surely I
> shoulld also be able to set this up via Linuxconf, there is something
> about routes in Linuxconf but they don't seem to allow Netscape
> Communicator to work.

BTW I am using Redhat Linux 5.2 and I also have a network card configured.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip)
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.linux
Subject: Re: More bad news for NT
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 07:40:08 GMT

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 01:57:56 -0500, Jim Ross
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Maybe running as root is my problem but clicking around in the Control
>Center of KDE often hangs my Linux system.  The hard drive cranks, like KDE
>is in a loop, I can't do crtl-alt-del or ctrl-alt-f2 or anything.  I have
>push my reset button.  I find this disturbing.  Like when MS said 32-bit
>programs couldn't crash other 32-bit programs or the OS, but yet they in
>fact could.
>Jim

Sounds Like something is crashing your X-Server, not Linux.

Perry

------------------------------

From: Frank Ranner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Finding filename from inode
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 17:53:07 +1100

Mike Kennedy wrote:

> Sorry... let me re phrase... I meant within kernel space... how can I find
> the filename from the inode. I know it involves looking for a directory
> entry that contains that inode, but how can I get the directory entry when
> all I have is the file inode?

Basically you can't. For a start, there may be several several directory
entries
(hard links) to the inode, or none if the file was rm'ed while a process
held it
open. So the only way is to brute force search directory entries looking
for a match
to the inode number.

Regards, Frank Ranner

------------------------------

From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Best Free Unix? (why FreeBSD?)
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 00:05:54 -0800

Richard E. Hawkins Esq. wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Louis Epstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Of course,a thousand years ago,the pound sterling(currency) originated
> >as a troy pound of sterling silver...though the currency unit will now
> >buy only a fraction of a troy OUNCE of sterling silver.
>
> Keep going further back :)  It was a *roman* measure, and substantially
> all of the european units were based on it until fairly recently.
> franc, lira, pound . . .

Wasn't Troy burned to the ground long before Rome ever existed?

------------------------------

From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 23:44:52 -0800

> One of my main concerns as to Linux and the GPL is proprietery
> drivers....I only hope that it won't cause a problem that the Kernel was
> GPLed instead of some 'other' licence which would have been less hazy in
> this area.  Actually seems to me that the GPL might totally be a problem
> since drivers ARE linked to the kernel,....some people/groups might have
> coniption fits if a company tries this.  Besides that though, I have no
> opinion....just glad linux is free.

Well, it has happened.  A company has released a kernel module which is
binary.  Too bad for them, too bad for us,...too bad for
Linux....because the kernel was GPLed.

This sucks, but I knew it would happen....with all the talk about how
much we want commercial developers to take Linux seriously,...the MINUTE
one does they get egged.  This is why Linux will never make it much
further then it already has.

------------------------------

From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: What if software could think?
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 00:04:47 -0800

John is arguing that free software should be allowed to be
> thrown into bondage, and all its descendents.

Actually, he feels (at least he expresses it, sorry if I am wrong here)
that the GPL by definition does exactly what your saying he is for.  All
GPLed software, and its decendants, are in fact enbonded by the
GPL....so that they will never be truely free.

GPL tries to enforce ideals, which as everyone should know, is
impossible and inplausable.  You cannot force YOUR ideals onto another
person,...nor should you want to.  You should take the person for what
they are, or don't...not force them to be what you would have them be.

I think that to be truely free, code has to be made so that people can
do what they want with it.  If they want to steal another person's work
and make money from it, without adding anything of thier own,....they
WILL eventually be exposed as frauds.  But forcing people into
submission is simply not the way to go...which is exactly what the FSF
wants to do, just read thier website on why we should stop using the
LGPL.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Date: 28 Feb 1999 08:32:17 GMT

Then put
route -del default
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local

and defaultroute in /etc/ppp/options

From: Monte Milanuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH vs SuSE
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 02:29:13 -0600

"Robert C. Paulsen, Jr." wrote:

> I have no experience with KDE 1.1 nor with the 2.2.2 kernel so can not
> offer any forst-hand advice. I do remember reading on this newsgroup
> that people have been able to install KDE 1.1 onto SuSE 6.0 with no
> trouble so perhaps your problem is with the kernel.

Well, I had 'upgraded' the stock KDE to 1.1 about five minutes after I
made sure the stock version worked and had completed all the install
scripts.  Even then, I couldn't use about one-third to one-half the KDE
applets.  Now the figure is more like three-quarters.  So, yes, I agree,
the kernel is definitely suspect, but not exclusively.  I kept getting a
warning about the kernel unable to find modules for a particular
charset, but I can't seem to find the warnings in any of my logs so
far.  Coincidently, I decided to try kpm from the command line to see
what I could see, and it babbles something along the lines of:
KCharset        wrong charset!
KCharset        wrong charset!
segmentation fault

Now that I pulled the boot disk for 2.2.2-ac5, (most) everything is
working again.  I may try to compile a custom 2.0.36, and see if I get a
similar problem.  In that case, I would think it would be something that
I am (not?)doing, but what?  Oh, well.

Monte

------------------------------

From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: KDE question
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 00:13:35 -0800

Brian Lehr wrote:

> I'm in the process of setting up KDE.  Everything installed fine.
> However, when I try to start it, I get the following message:
>
> kpanel: error in loading shared libraries
> /opt/kde/lib/libkdecore.so.1: undefined symbol: sizeHint__C8QListBox
>
> I get the same message in regards to several files, including kwmsound,
> kcontrol, kwm, etc.
>
> The lib file is a link in the same directory to libkdecore.so.1.0.0,
> which is there.
>
> What needs to be corrected?

You got the wrong packages or something, get the source and compile
yourself.

------------------------------

From: Tom Keats <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 00:56:21 -0800

Louis Epstein wrote:
> =

> Chris Morgan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> : jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> :
> : > > What country uses # as a currency?  :-(
> : >
> : > I think they are reffering to pound....England
> :
> : In Britain I always called it a hash symbol and =A3 is the pound symb=
ol
> : (hope that looks correct).
> =

> Depends on the newsreader.In mine it appears as a u with a rising accen=
> over it.
> =

> Was the "hash symbol" ever used for pounds of weight there?
> (Before Brussels banned them?)
> =

> I always call "#" the "number sign" myself.

ORA's "Making TeX Work" refers to it as an "octothorpe".  As a son of
a ... piano teacher, to me it's a sharp sign.  :)

--
Why not just drop everything and go fishin'?

        remove NO_SPAM. from address to reply

------------------------------

From: Berthold Mueller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ethernet card
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 08:44:10 GMT

On 27 Feb 1999 15:32:52 GMT, David Burlage wrote:

>I'm not using the BNC, so do I need a terminator on it, or a tee
>with 2 terminators, or nothing?

Nothing - no signal, no hardware!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux is not even in Windows 9X's class.
Date: 28 Feb 1999 09:15:22 GMT

Hehehe... If I had a good printer, and a book on TeX, I'd learn it... =)

I've heard that TeX is a markup language, like HTML, but without hyper-
text... is this correct?

        - Mike

On Sat, 27 Feb 1999 10:00:23 +0000, Shane Steven Sturrock
  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Fri, 26 Feb 1999 09:26:56 -0600, Robert Shepard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in message
>>that market. I personally don't believe that MS can (or should) be an OS for
>>the people who want to get their hands dirty. Bottom line though, is you can
>>do Linux type activities in MS, and vice-versa, but its better to use each
>>for what its best at. I wouldn't write a thesis in vi, e.g.
>
>Why on Earth not?  I wrote my Ph.D thesis with vi and LaTeX.  Turned out
>very well indeed and with far fewer errors than you would have found had
>I used something ghastly like Word.  I see so much aggro for people trying
>to write large documents under Word I cannot possibly recommend anyone uses
>it for anything more than the odd letter to the bank.  I bought Applix for
>my wife to use for club secretarial work but again I wouldn't consider using
>that for a large project.
>
>I use Linux for everything and have done since early '95.
>
>--
>Dr. Shane Sturrock - http://nova.bru.ed.ac.uk/~sss
>Linux, a better WinNT than WinNT

Michael B. Trausch                                 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
V: (419) 838-8104                                   F: (815) 846-9374
                          ICQ UIN:  32369835
   "Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that
   curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly."
                                                - Arnold Edinborough

If you do not have my public PGP key, you are encouraged to obtain it
from my website at http://www.wcnet.org/~mtrausch/mykey.zip. You need
               to have PGP 5.0i or newer to use the key.

From: uday kiran <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: soundcard problem
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 18:09:14 GMT

          Hi,
                My pc has a yamaha sound card and linux 5.0 does'nt
                recognize it any solutions........

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.questions,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.rpm
Subject: Re: need some application recommendations
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 09:12:10 GMT

On Sun, 28 Feb 1999 04:29:31 GMT, Peter Worcester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>File managers...

I like FileRunner.  I use it mostly for its ftp capability, and it's
sometimes useful when I'm cleaning up a directory.  Otherwise my favorite
file manager is bash.

>Window Manager...

>I have seen CDE, WindowMaker, FVWM2,FVW95 and KDE and a few others. I kinda
>like KDE for one. Whats everyone else think are the best ones. (Please I
>don't want to start a war here, I know these things are kind of personal but
>I'd like some advive)

I like Window Maker.  It's elegant and easy to configure.  However, right
now I'm using fvwm2 because of an a bug in WM that was driving me nuts.

You'd probably like the KDE file manager.  I don't really need KDE's
features (nor GNOME's for that matter.)

Dave Cook

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.advocacy
Date: 28 Feb 1999 09:06:59 GMT

On 27 Feb 1999 07:09:42 -0700, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Oh?  So the said user just *accidentally* types in
>
>    IEXPLORE.EXE
>
>and the web browser starts up?
>
>Oh?  They clicked an icon?  Then why are you comparing this to the
>UNIX shells (I'll take any UNIX shell over DOS any day)?

I'm stating the ease of learning factor which is overly more apparent
in Windows than it is in UNIX.

>You haven't used Linux in the last couple years, have you.  (and UNIX
>doesn't automatically assume that people are so stupid to *not*
>understand such "cryptic" commands like cp and mv)

You've got tons of documentation for Linux and UNIX, but what you don't
have is something that says, "Need help?  Click here"  or a tip that shows
up on the screen that says, "Type help for information on how to use UNIX."

Therefore, in the perspective of a new user, it's automatically hard to
use.  Which is very true; for power, you trade ease of learning.

>> Nope-- the DOS 6.22 memory manager worked just fine for all the games
>> I ever played/setup.  MemMaker actually did a quite nice job doing all
>> of that for me... and MemMaker can be found in the DOS 6.2 HELP program,
>> which people who use DOS try first... (pretty obvious to try HELP first,
>> right?).
>
>Ever try it in DOS 7 (Win 95)?

Tried.  Didn't work.  So I made a DOS 6.22 boot disk.  (The memory manage-
ment in Windows 95 for DOS level things is *really* shitty, considering
the fact that everything is tied down to that 640K barrier).

>> As far as CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT-- that's always been like the
>> Windows registry is today-- typical users didn't edit those types of
>> things because PC World and other computer magazines always carried
>> hefty warnings about editing CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT.
>
>And it is so much easier than Linux?

Two files to configure your system as opposed to more.  In Linux you have
start up scripts, you have configuration files in /etc, and more.  You'd
be lying if you said it was just as easy in Linux to configure as it is
in Windows.

>What a crock.
>
>> I've been working with Linux now for about 2 years, and guess what?  I'm
>> FAR from getting it all down.
>>
>> Sure, I've got my video card working in X, and I've learned about
>> /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf, and /etc/rc.d/*.  But there are tons of
>> things that I've not learned, some I know of and some I don't.  For
>> example, I know enough about cp, mv, gzip, tar, bzip2, ps, ls, and grep
>> to use them for what I'd like.  But I don't know anything about sed and
>> awk, other than the fact that they exist.  Never learned emacs (although
>> I use cvim and am pretty happy with it).  Still learning *TONS* on Linux.
>
>Sed and awk are available for Windows as well.
>Does this mean you still don't know Windows?

Windows comes with "user-friendly" utilities.  Power-hungry users want
the tools that will give them that power-- sed and awk are those tools.

It's funny, most Windows programmers seem to reinvent utilities all of
the time that do *some* of the things that sed and awk do... hell, I
might've even did something like that.  (But then again, I'm pretty much
clueless yet as to what sed and awk do-- I'll be getting a book on them
soon).

>I love Microsoft advoacte logic:
>
>"Windows is easier because it doesn't come with any powerful tools."

Again, I will state:  There is a trade-off between power (i.e., control,
stability, and reliability), and a given state of "easiness" (i.e.,
user-friendly).  And I'm not defending Windows-- I've completely banished
it from my hard drive.  I hate it primarily because it's unstable and
unreliable, and I hate it most because I don't have control over many
of the things that happen.  Under UNIX/Linux/etc., I can control things
to a much finer point, and I can do much more-- be more productive--
becuase it's way more powerful than Windows.

        - Mike

From: Ben Greear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: QUESTION:  How to send html or other MIME type from command line.
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 00:39:22 -0700

I am trying to write a program which will send mail to people.  The
trick is that
I want to send them something that will open as HTML (in their Netscape
viewer).  I'm pretty sure I need to do something with mime types, but I
don't know what or how.

Can I get 'mail' to do this somehow?  If not, got any ideas?  I'm not
getting
to far searching the web...

Thanks a million,
Ben

--
Ben Greear ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  http://www.primenet.com/~greear
Author of ScryMUD:  mud.primenet.com 4444        (Released under GPL)

------------------------------

From: John Culver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: System Commander Won't Boot Linux
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 06:07:34 +0000

Richard,

BINGO!  Okay, in case you couldn't tell, I am a newcomer to linux.  I took
your advice/queries, and changed lilo.conf to load LILO to hdb1 -- the first
sector of the first physical partion of my linux drive (hdb/"D:").  This
worked--sort of: System commander could now boot linux.  Before I had time
to celebrate, however, I shut down Linux, rebooted the system, and....the PC
told me that it could not find a system disk.  I have the BIOS set to boot
C, then A.  So the process of booting Linux had caused "C:" (Win98) to be
marked inactive.

Doh.  I could fix this (the inactive partition part) by booting from a
Win98/DOS boot disk, running DOS FDISK, and making the HDD 0 primary
partition active.  But the next time I booted linux from system commander,
it was inactive again.

So I pulled out the System Commander manual and checked the options again.
Under " Global Special Options", they had an interesting one:  "Force
Partition Active on Drive 0".  The description said, in part: " In very rare
cases, the system BIOS detects this as a fault and prevents normal bootup."
hehe, every motherboard I've every used (about 12 and counting) has this
"very rare" feature.  Anyway, I togged this from NO to YES, and now
everything works perfectly.

So, System Commander works, but it was not as painless as I had been led to
believe.  Their support pages on Linux suck, and their web site is no
better.

Thanks for the reply!

Dual-booting for real,

John

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andreas Klemm)
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Date: 27 Feb 1999 22:28:31 GMT

In article <7aqgct$3p6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Linus Torvalds) writes:

> Your concept of "freedom" is that of a five-year-old.  You think that

As your behaviour is here in the discussion. Very disappointing.

Only because John sees GPL different than you, his not on a level
of a 5-year old boy.

I respect your Linux work now and in the past, but this sounds
really silly.

--
Andreas Klemm                                http://www.FreeBSD.ORG/~andreas
     What gives you 90% more speed, for example, in kernel compilation ?

------------------------------

From: Peter Bruley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: setting the IRQ on the 3c589
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:33:13 -0500

David Hinds wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> :
> : can somebody tell me how to tell my 3c589 PCMCIA card to use a specific IRQ?
>
> You do it indirectly, by indicating which interrupts are unavailable
> in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts.
>
> (you don't really need to tell the card to use a specific irq for it
> to work: what's important is to tell it which irq's NOT to use)
>
> -- Dave

Only one problem with this. If your system only has one IRQ to spare and the
modem grabs the IRQ first the Network card will fail.

From: Christopher Walsh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any JDK for Linux?
Date: 28 Feb 1999 06:31:28 GMT

James Tam wrote: