Linux-Misc Digest #225, Volume #20               Sun, 16 May 99 11:13:30 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Networking Linux (typical luser)
  Re: Linux Buying Advice Wanted.... (jik-)
  Re: Need help setting up system. ("K G Tee")
  Re: Debian: still viable? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  SB PCI 128 under RH 6.0 ("Jay")
  Re: Sony Vaio ("Orange")
  Re: internet (Murni & Hamid)
  Re: SECURITY ISSUES: Single user restriction at lilo boot: ("Stephan M. Ott //
OKDesign oHG")
  Re: Redhat 6.0 broken? (Steve Smoogen)
  How do I check header, replace it and forward it using .procmailrc ? (Tomer Saar)
  Re: [?] problem w/ TeX under RH 6.0 (John Forkosh)
  Re: LS-120 (Rex Basham)
  Netscape 451 bug ? and question (Andy Heath)
  SRPMs, was Re: [?] problem w/ TeX under RH 6.0 (Simon Cozens)
  Re: car mp3 player (Byron A Jeff)
  Re: Does Linux have IRQ's ("jacob childress")
  Re: Upgrade or reinstall? (John Forkosh)
  Re: RedHat price... (Explanations) (Christopher B. Browne)
  Re: unseen files (Tiago F.)
  Re: Pro-Unix vs anti-WinTel (Steve Lamb)
  RedHat price... (Explanations) (Steve Smoogen)
  Re: Samba & Win 9x clients: automatically mapping drives (Lee Allen)

From: typical luser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Networking Linux
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 23:51:58 -0700

I just built my network tonight...   two $10 pci ethernet cards, and a
$30 hub...  works great!   Spent more time reading how to do it than
actually doing it...  :>   whee, but it's awful fun to be able to telnet
in to my other box!

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 01:15:54 -0700
From: jik- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Buying Advice Wanted....

> My first question is.......
> --
> Which Linux OS should I get...... Caldera or Red-hat ........ or
> something else ??

Well, I tried them both....didn't see much if any difference at all.
Same install program, package manager, init setup, Caldera *might* come
with KDE, RedHat came with a GNOME but it had to be forcably installed
onto the system (braindead package manager)
> --
> I want a simple and clean-looking screen display..... with largest
> possible text and icon options.   I want the easiest and most intuitive
> screen interface available.

I guess for a beginner I would recomend KDE.  GNOME did not seem very
good to me.  Course you don't need a Desktop env at all, I don't use
them,...there are plenty of alternatives which require more setup...but
run faster and cleaner.

------------------------------

From: "K G Tee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need help setting up system.
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 16:28:45 +0800

The sequence to install a dual-boot system will be first to install Windows
and then RH 6.0, after allocating the two partitions. There isn't any
complication about that. The LILO boots Linux by default.

Installing Linux first and then Windows, will make Linux "vanish".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Debian: still viable?
Date: 16 May 1999 08:42:43 GMT

Gene Wilburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> tickles me to write:
* [cut]
* Any comments from any Debian fans out would be highly appreciated.

unlike a certain company in Redmond, Virginia (*lol*) only stable versions of
Debian will be released. When the latest Debian was released, the 2.2.x kernel
op ermm, be patient for a new release ... or update y're kernell y'reself (I
think there is a FAQ for that).

yours

Bas

--
Bas van Gils, student of Information Management and   ||    LINUX
Technology at Tilburg University, The Netherlands.    ||    the dawn of

------------------------------

From: "Jay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: SB PCI 128 under RH 6.0
Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 22:11:35 -0400

How do I get SoundBlaster PCI 128 card to work under RedHat 6.0?

------------------------------

From: "Orange" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Sony Vaio
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 18:04:46 +0800

Hello,

Linus Torvalds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7hlnnm$760$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <LAs%2.13822$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >According to Linus Torvalds <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >
> >>    And on the VAIO-PCG (the one

Any built-in modem? Are those in VAIO series 'Winmodem' ??

Orange

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Murni & Hamid)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,jaring.pcbase,linux.redhat.misc,jaring.os.linux
Subject: Re: internet
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 18:25:12 +0800

Saravanan Govindasamy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> How do i get connected on the internet thru Linux? I tried the PPP dialup
> utility. My modem dials up and gets connected, a few seconds and then
> disconnects with the error message "The pppd daemon died Unexpectedly".

There are few possibilities:

1. You don't have PPPD support compiled as a module inside your kernel.
2. You've it configured inside the kernel but forgotten to do 'make
modules; make modules_install'.
3. Your PPPD died because of LCP timeout (error in negotiation) either
when you're using script or PAP

--
Murni Mahmud & Family

From: "Stephan M. Ott // OKDesign oHG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.security,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SECURITY ISSUES: Single user restriction at lilo boot:
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 12:53:55 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] schrieb in Nachricht ...
>According to  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>

>The only way to get arround this problem is to enable the CMOS
>password on the machine so that the machine will not boot w/o the
>password.  Just about all BIOSs these days seem to support the
>feature.  Yes, it will really suck when Joe User power cycles the
>machine (or course we know Linux never crashes...) and you need to
>send someone out to key in the password.

A better way would be disable the floppy in the bios, then password-protect
the bios.
When doing it this way, the machine will start up again and go online, but
the system cannot be started from floppy.

>Be aware that it is not completely secure because (1) nvram can
>usually be cleared by setting a jumper on the motherboard

Err, yes, but in this case you would know that someone cleared the bois and
maybe have ways to get to know who was it.

and (2) the
>disk with the password can always be removed and mounted somewhere
>else.

Sorry, I can't follow you....
which disk with which password ?

>Of course, this is *not* a solution to your *real* problem...

That's true, but it could be *one* possibility.

--Stephan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Smoogen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.system
Subject: Re: Redhat 6.0 broken?
Date: 16 May 1999 12:50:45 GMT

There were changes between LILO 0.20 (shipped in 5.2) and LILO 0.21 that
need kernel sizes to be smaller. What happened in 0.20 was that LILO
would sometimes overwrite itself on the "large" kernels and cause all
kind of "suffering".

As other people have pointed out, you will need to use the bzImage or
make the kernel smaller.

>From the README file

   LARGE_EDBA   Loads LILO at a lower address in order to leave more
   space for the EBDA (Extended BIOS Data Area). This is necessary on some
    recent MP systems. Note that enabling  LARGE_EDBA  reduces the
   maximum size of "small" images (e.g. "Image" or "zImage").

--
SJS  --  Red Hat Technical Support
[Please be aware I cannot always answer email directly emailed at me. I

------------------------------

From: Tomer Saar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.mail.misc,comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.os.linux.help
Subject: How do I check header, replace it and forward it using .procmailrc ?
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 15:44:01 +0200

I wish to check every mail I receive for the following alroritm:

if (To == "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" )
then {
    add "Misc" field and write orginal "To" to it ;         /* optional
line */
    write "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" in "To" ;
    forward message to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" (without saving) ;
}

The operating system is Solaris 2.6

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Forkosh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.text.tex
Subject: Re: [?] problem w/ TeX under RH 6.0
Date: 16 May 1999 09:50:18 -0400

Simon Cozens ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
snip
: and give us the results. Meanwhile, I'll look at the SRPM. (I'm currently
: in the middle of testing all the 6.0 SRPMs and boy are they broken...)
This is somewhat off original topic (sorry)...
     At the April meeting of LUNY (Linux Users of New York),
Ransom Love and a few cohorts spoke about Caldera.  One point they
emphasized is that you could cleanly rebuild the entire distribution
from their "pristine" sources.  Can you remark about the accuracy
of that claim?
John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Rex Basham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: LS-120
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 13:03:01 +0000

Cameron Spitzer wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Rex Basham  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >Cameron Spitzer wrote:

> >> The mkfs command does not perform the function known in the MS-DOS world
> >> as a "low level format."  Mkfs requires that the media already contain
> >> tracks and sector marks.  If you bulk-erase a floppy you will find mkfs
> >
> >Why would you need to low level format anything?
>
> "DS" asked what to do if the "sectoring was at best AFU due to a
> hardware fault when the drive was attached to another machine"
>
> I.E., DS wants to restore the damaged format on the medium, not
> write a file system.
>
> >Run fdisk, delete all
> >the partitions, create a single primary, and write it to disk.  Now mkfs
>
> Suppose the first cylinder of the LS-120 medium is okay, but the rest
> has been demagnetized.  For example, the diskette was sitting under
> a phone (with old-fashioned mechanical ringer) when it rang, or was
> carried in a dashboard glovebox next to the speaker.
>
> The fdisk might succeed, but mke2fs would fail because the media is
> not formatted.

touche'.  Wasn't thinking about a totally trashed disk and missed that
info in the original post.  The only format problems I have seen are
caused from Win98 mucking the partition table as soon as it touches the
disk.  The Linux fdisk corrects these pt errors.

> >works fine.  Only problem I have with LS-120 is getting one to boot.
> >mkbootdisk --device /dev/hda1 2.2.8  appears to write everything fine
> >but the boot gets to LI and hangs forever.  Any insight?
>
> According to Werner's LILO Technical Overview the I means the secondary
> boot loader is about to start.  You only get the second L if the geometry
> matches and the mapfile is found.  So, most likely your lilo.conf
> file does not accurately describe the drive and the file systems on it.
>
> Cameron

Right.  But if I cd to the LS120 /etc and edit the file to make the
changes, then
LILO -C /ls120/etc/lilo.conf
  complains that it can't find the image and/or the initrd files.  Both
are available in the LS120 root directory and the /dev/hda1 is mounted
at directory /ls120.  Right now I have no boot disk (other than than the
/dev/sda5 real root).  I would even settle for doing a minimal install
on one of the LS120 disks and have tried that with no success.

Where is Werner's techie overview?  The /usr/doc/lilo-0.20 files are in
formats I have not yet learned to read (.tex, .ps, .fig).  The ./rlatex
wants a file and it grumbles about Missing \begin{document} regardless
of what I try to feed it for parameters.

Sorry for any mis-information, I'm very much in learn mode right now.

rexb.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Heath)
Subject: Netscape 451 bug ? and question
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 13:37:32 GMT

Q1.
I (try to) use netscape 4.5.1 as a mail client on
linux 2.0.something.  I find that it has problems
with a) deleting folders and b) sub-folders of folders.

Are these netscape features on linux or do I have some
incompatibilites somewhere (this system bgan life way
back in the a.out era and has grown from there).
Still on libc5.  It to me like some incompatibility
with directory manipulation code.  Help please.

Q2.
Where can I get the netscape source from so I can try to
build myself (I understand its open source now).  I need
to build myself so as to use dynamic linking with Metrolink
Motif (libXm2.0 - i have no ELF libXm1.2, only a.out).

Please COPY replies to
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
(not the address in the header)
as well as the newsgroup.

Thanks
Andy

------------------------------

From: Simon Cozens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SRPMs, was Re: [?] problem w/ TeX under RH 6.0
Date: 16 May 1999 14:04:15 GMT

I've trimmed the newsgroups, since this isn't a TeX problem any more; please
note that I don't regularly read colm, so if you've any comments you think I
should know, send them by email too.

In comp.text.tex John Forkosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>      At the April meeting of LUNY (Linux Users of New York),
> Ransom Love and a few cohorts spoke about Caldera.  One point they
> emphasized is that you could cleanly rebuild the entire distribution
> from their "pristine" sources.  Can you remark about the accuracy
> of that claim?

It seems that a lot of the RH6 SRPMS failed on rebuild for various reasons,
mainly due to dodgy .spec files. (egcs failed because it tried to write to
a file that had already been created as a directory by the tarball, but I
can't remember the details.) On a considerable number of them, the ./configure
stage had been commented out. Needless to say, this caused a lot of trouble.
The problem's been around for a while - in 5.2 I did a mostly-clean upgrade
by rebuilding all the packages from source, and then only 10-20 of them failed;
this time, it seems like a whole lot more is broken, but it's a .0 release,
and what do you expect? :)

--
"Though a program be but three lines long,
someday it will have to be maintained."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Byron A Jeff)
Subject: Re: car mp3 player
Date: 16 May 1999 10:00:13 -0400

In article <7hk41k$n9g$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David L. Bilbey  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   +-----On 15 May 1999 07:39:57 -0400, Byron A Jeff spoke unto us:----------
>   | So I'm looking at a standard MB/CPU combo with a standard HD. Plan to put
>   | it in a custom case with a DC/DC power supply and stick it in the trunk.
>   | The faceplate will be the display and keypad.
>
>Do you have any sources for the DC power supply?
>  That's currently what I'm
>stuck on, since I decided also to go for the standard MB/CPU/HDD.

I'd found one at one point. Unfortunately I lost the URL in a disk crash.
I was poking around with a search engine. A query like 'DC-DC converter
PC interface' or somesuch.

Wish I had it onhand. Also I wasn't able to get a price.

In the meantime another simple alternative is simply to integrate a 120V
inverter with a standard power supply. It's wasteful of both power and space
but it does work.

I'm also going to look at laptop power supplies which are DC/DC converters.
I'm just not sure if they supply the same voltages as PC power supplies.

I'm going to prototype a desktop unit, so the power supply issue isn't critical
yet.

BAJ

------------------------------

From: "jacob childress" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Does Linux have IRQ's
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 09:03:14 -0500

Brian Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7hh4dp$jud$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> The hardware has IRQ's, all software has to use them or
> run in a much slower polling way. It's not Operating System
> dependent. In Slackware most IRQ's are setup in /etc/rc.d/rc.*
> files (as everything is).

like brian said above, an OS doesn't necessarily have to use IRQ's in all
circumstances.  for instance, windows NT polls the parallel port instead of
using IRQ 7.  just an interesting tidbit...

jacob

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Forkosh)
Subject: Re: Upgrade or reinstall?
Date: 16 May 1999 09:40:46 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
: I don't have much stuff, relatively on my
: Linux system and I want to know whether it
: is easier to archive my stuff, and reinstall
: Linux 6.1
Yes...reinstall.
John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Subject: Re: RedHat price... (Explanations)
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 14:15:27 GMT

On 16 May 1999 13:18:01 GMT, Steve Smoogen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>Ok here are the reasons I know of for a "price hike" on the main boxed
>set:
>
>1) We added installation phone support to this product.

This is hopefully of some value to "newbies," although it probably isn't to
those of us that have installed Linux before.

>2) We added a new manual, and a lot more to the Linux Applications CD.

Is that a "Here's some additional free software" CD?  Or is it advertising
for third parties?

If it's the latter, then I suggest that pushing the burden of the cost of
that onto Red Hat's customers is inappropriate, as the costs should
legitimately be borne by those third party organizations.

It makes *zero* sense to pay for "crippleware," which is what "demo
editions" tend to be...

>3) We would like to spend more money on RHAD labs (GNOME and other
>   applications), helping Precision Insight with OpenGL, KDE group, FSF,
>   and the various other projects that we dont "openly" promote
>   ourselves in because we get flamed for "taking over Linux".

Which is well and good.

Of course, in many cases, I may direct my money *directly,* thus eliminating
the need to have 80% of it go into shipping, profits at the retailers,
advertising, and other such things that don't actually provide me with any
value.

>4) You have to pay for 100+ people's salaries that get the products
>   together, marketed, and spend a lot of their time "legitimizing" it
>   so that XYZ corporation will port their product to Linux. None of us
>   here are getting rich on selling Linux, and we arent going to be with
>   the price increase either.

Of course, *most* of the bucks stop before anything gets to you guys.  I
would be quite surprised if you get as much as $40 on an $80 box.

Right away, that diminishes the efficiency of the spending by over 50%...

>As others have said, everyone can get Red Hat Linux from a mirror site,
>from cheap bytes or anyone else with a Cdrom burner.  I like to work for
>Red Hat because we make the entire install, configuration, and every
>other bit of code we can open source (the only exception I know of is
>stuff that went into Secure Web Server which we cant Open Source due to
>encryption laws :/).  We dont close anything due to "Intellectual
>Property Rights" or other foofoo crap. The day that changes I am out of
>here, but I dont see that changing anytime.

The fact that other distributions exist represents a pretty "big stick"
against any attempt at silly nasty things such as making the distribution
proprietary.

Other commercial vendors might consider doing the same, which could (in
theory) allow it to happen; the presence of Debian and the BSDs goes a long
way towards ensuring nobody realistically considers that idea...

-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/lsf.html>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to free software today?..."

------------------------------

From: Tiago F. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: unseen files
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 14:39:15 GMT

Hi!

> try typing ./ before the program
> e.g ./netscape

Writing ./ before the program name is somewhat boring. I know that I can put
the current dir in the PATH environment variable, but someone told me that it
will make a enormous security hole. Is this true? If so, why?

Tiago Fernandes
--
This message was transmitted on 100% recycled
electrons.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Lamb)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: Pro-Unix vs anti-WinTel
Date: 16 May 1999 14:14:01 GMT

On 14 May 1999 16:27:04 -0400, Paul D. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>What would be great is if the Debian stuff was upgraded to allow a
>ports-like source code distribution mechanism, and/or ports was upgraded
>to provide prebuilt binaries as easily and slickly as Debian.

    AFAIK this is one of the goals of apt.  They want to make it possible for
apt to grab the sources and compile it into the package that you install with
the common compiler options you wish.  Want everything compiled 586 specific?
No problem.  ;)

===============================+=============================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Smoogen)
Subject: RedHat price... (Explanations)
Date: 16 May 1999 13:18:01 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: Re: Samba & Win 9x clients: automatically mapping drives
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 14:19:16 GMT

I read DOMAIN.txt, and some other semi-relevant manuals, and
eventually found this:
1. Samba supports automatic execution of login scripts for Win 9x
clients
2. Under Win 9x those login scripts are just batch files
3. Here is the batch file command ("DOS command") to map a drive:
NET USE drive: \\computer\directory

Thanks.

-Lee Allen