From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modules.dep is older than modules.conf
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:00:44 GMT

Ok I'm an extream nubbie.  I get "/lib/modules/2.2.14/modules.dep is
older than modules.conf.
This has happened after alot of changes when I was trying to install a
3c509b NIC.
I would like to just be pointed to the right info.  I don't mind the
rtfm, I just don't know which one to read.  Please help.

------------------------------

From: Penpal International <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Soundcards
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:08:18 +0200

Currently I have 1 soundcard. But it's using 2 interrupts. This first
one is: OPL3-SA3 Snd System (5) and the second: MPU-401 UART (7). I
realy don't need the second. I want to free that interrupt so I can
place an extra sound card into my system. I'm using OSS. But it won't
allow me to disable the MPU-401.
can anyone say me if it's possible anyway. If yes, how?

--
Penpal International
http://ppi.searchy.net/

From: "Mike Long" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: USR modem setup
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:05:03 -0700

I have Redhat 6.2 installed.
I have a US Robotics 56K Faxmodem. (Model 5687)
Admittedly, I'm a newbie, but I can't make it work.

Where can I find step by step instructions to configure it?

Thanks,

Mike

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ken Williams)
Subject: Lynx ftp never works
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:08:40 GMT

Can anyone tell me why going to ftp sites with Lynx barely ever works?  It
just sits there after "Making connection with whereever", then I try it
normally with normal ftp and it goes fine.  Happens all the time on all kinds
of different servers.

------------------------------

From: "Tele2 usenet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SV: snoop command for Linux?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:14:16 +0200

If you mean to snoop on another users tty then ttysnoop is available.

    /Kim

Svein Tjonndal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> skrev i
diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roger Blake)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.lang.java.advocacy
Subject: Re: How Microsoft inhibits competition & innovation
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:17:00 GMT

On Thu, 20 Apr 2000 19:50:55 -0400, Seán Ó Donnchadha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Like I said, those OSs don't have nearly as many hardware
>manufacturers writing drivers for them. And those that do can afford

You're reaching here, trying to blame Windows' notorious problems
on drivers from hardware vendors.

>What design issues?

There are so many deficiencies with Windows design that it's hard
to find a place to start!  On a high level, one good example is the
braindead design of the registry which in its Win95 incarnation would
grow boundlessly until it wouldn't permit the OS to boot up! It's still
so damned fragile and nearly impossible to debug that now Windows 98
keeps multiple copies around and tries to heal itself if corruption
is detected. Not to mention that so many registry entries use the
short version of a file's name that, given the way long filenames are
implemented, you can't even make a reliable backup of the OS if your
backup software works through the filesystem!

Then how about a network subsystem whose design dictates that the
response to network errors is that THE ENTIRE SYSTEM HANGS INTERMINABLY.

Another issue is the endless problems with shared DLLs. EVEN DLLs
PRODUCED BY MICROSOFT ARE FREQUENTLY INCOMPATIBLE ACROSS VERSIONS AND
CAN CAUSE SEVERE SYSTEM PROBLEMS!

One of my favorite Microsoft Moments came recently while attempting to
install Publisher 98 for one of our users at work. At the same time the
background splash screen was bragging about its compatibility and
interoperability with Microsoft Office, the setup program abended due
to an incompatible MS-Office 97 DLL!!  The Microsoft Knowledge base
entries for this problem walk the user through various DLL replacements,
then state that if replacing DLLs per instructions doesn't work, the
"fix" is to REINSTALL THE OPERATING SYSTEM. In fact, this seems to be
the 'fix" for a disturbing number of Windows problems.

For that matter, what other OS has a design that practically requires
non-trivial applications to modify the operating system in order to run?
Forget device drivers, installing APPLICATIONS is risky business under
Windows!  What system DLLs will be clobbered? Will the registry be corrupted?
How will the OS changes made affect other apps and the system as a whole?
Will the uninstall routine be successful if the OS is badly clobbered
by the installation?

In Linux, to install an app, I copy the files to a directory and run
the executable. If anything, the only other thing that may be needed
is to install a support library. That's it.  To uninstall, just
delete the files! Amazing!

Of course, as you get further into details it becomes necessary to
split out Windows NT from Win9x. After all, MS got smart and hired
Dave Cutler, DEC's chief operating system architect, to design NT
for them. The NT kernel is actually quite good, it can almost be
considered VMS Mark-II.  However, with every release it seems MS keeps
adding "features" which muck up a solid foundation. One of the best-known
of these was moving display functions into the unprotected "Ring 0"
of the OS -- now a buggy display driver can crash your enterprise
server. Well, who cares, at least it can run DOOM quickly!

>For God's sake, why don't you read what was said before replying to
>it? It's not Microsoft that creates the device drivers; it's the

I would submit that Windows still has a propensity to crash due
to shared DLL problems, registry problems, and a host of internal
design problems (including 16-bit code in Win9x that can easily
hang the entire system if a user application crashes). This would
still occur even if only generic, MS-supplied drivers were used.

>Give me a break. Linux drivers don't come out nearly at the same pace
>as Windows drivers, and usually don't take nearly as much advantage of
>the devices' special features. There's simply no comparison.

You're reaching again. The fact is that Windows stability is questionable
even with generic MS-supplied drivers.

>Come on. Mac reliability is a joke, and the reason it may not be as

I have not found this to be the case. We use PowerMac systems to do
digital video and they have been quite reliable in running the demanding
applications involved. I couldn't even imagine trying to do anything
similar on Windows systems.

>Sorry, but that's just bullshit. The arrogance in that statement -

For God's sake, why don't you read what was said before replying to
it?  I wasn't talking specifically about YOU.  I was speaking in
general terms, and it is certainly true that most Microsoft Windows
users have never experienced other computing environments.

>Hogwash. Prove it.

The general public (the largest group of MS Windows users) clearly
believes that Microsoft is responsible for most (if not all) advances
in computing. Get out from behind your keyboard once in a while and talk
to users, you'll see this is the case.

Frankly I am so sick of MS apologists taking these positions that I
feel compelled to add another dose of reality. I've been working
professionally with computer systems and networks of many types
for about 25 years now. I have worked with mainframes, minicomputers,
the entire lifespan of micros (as they were intially called), embedded
systems, real time systems, etc. During this time I have been involved
in designing applications, device drivers, operating system internals,
relational databases, etc. In other words, I've seen a few things that
permit me to make comparisons with Microsoft's offerings.

When it comes to operating systems, please do not even try to suggest
to me that any of Microsoft's OS' are quality products.  Any mainframe
that had such an unreliable OS would have been summarily tossed out years
ago.  Can you imaging an OLTP system that crashed or needed rebooting
as much as the normal PC does???  Airline counter agents would be
getting shot by passengers in droves.  Bank tellers would be dropping
like flies.  Imagine any embedded system with an OS that allowed it to
crash regularly and unexplainedly.  How would you like to be on a commercial
jet with such software?

Windows is a mistake (IBM PC architecture) on a mistake (8086 architecture)
on top of a mistake (DOS) on top of a mistake (the abomination known
familiarly and officially as the registry).  Granted, some of the
mistakes were not of Microsoft's choosing.  But they have done little
to ameliorate the situation and much to exacerbate it.

Of course, UNIX was so bad there was a book called the "Unix Hater's
Handbook" that came with an airline barf bag.  (I have that barf bag hanging
in my office.) It chronicled the unbelievably bad design flaws of UNIX
(all flavors - no one ever addressed the root design problems) by just
relating them and their consequences, and the book was a howl, if you
forgot for a moment that everything was true!  That's how bad it was/is.

But compared to Windows, Unix is a stable, well conceived, reliable (that's
right, reliable!) OS; as many people have found out even a freeware clone of
it such as Linux runs rings around Windows in terms of reliablity and
performance.

Now perhaps that has changed with the new NT (Windows 2000). About damned
time if it has. However, I still prefer Linux due to its low hardware
requirements and the fact that I don't have to worry about what "back
doors" or other problems might be lurking in the OS.  I don't trust
Microsoft as far as I could spit out a medium-sized rat.

--
  Roger Blake
  (remove second "g" and second "m" from address for email)

------------------------------

From: aflinsch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RPM failed dependencies ...(?)
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:09:08 -0500

Giovanni wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> I am trying to install an RPM scientific program called scilab, but
> when I try to use the command rpm -i scilab*
> I get the following error message:
>
>         "error failed dependencies:
>         /usr/bin/wish is needed by scilab-2.5.0"
>
> Now, it is true that initially usr/bin/wish did not exist, but I have
> found that I had /usr/X11R6/bin/wish. So I made a symbolic link
> to this file, but I still got the same error message.
>
> I thought maybe my version of wish is too old, so I downloaded a
> "tk.rpm" package from SuSE 6.3 (I have SuSE 6.2), but now when I try
> to update this package (rpm -U tk.rpm) I have another error message:
>
>            "file /usr/X11R6/bin/wish8.0 from install of tk-8.0.5-12
>             conflicts with file from package tk_new-8.0.5-27"
>
> I'm lost , because even the version numbers seem odd to me: the "old"
> installed package has version 8.0.5-27, while the "new" has
>  # 8.0.5-12.
>
> Does anyone know what is going wrong here?

you have the correct version of wish, but it is not where scilab
thinks it should be.
the sym link was a good idea

try rpm -i scilab* --nodeps

and see if that works.

the same thing happens when you have the dependencies installed, but
they were not installed the same way (ie dependency was installed via
a tarball, and now you are trying an rpm install)

------------------------------

From: grant@nowhere. (Grant Edwards)
Subject: Re: Changing screen resolution on Redhat-SPARC?
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:24:51 GMT

In article <8dpk0n$pkn$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bala wrote:
>Grant Edwards <grant@nowhere.> wrote:

>> You've pretty much hit the nail on the head: there isn't
>> anything you can do.  The frame buffer hardware in a Sun
>> Classic runs at 1152x900 at a fixed frequency.  It's not
>> configurable.
>
>Hi Grant, I'm not sure if you're correct.

I've been wrong before.... ;)

>According to the Sun Framebuffer FAQ the Sun Classic has a cg3
>which supports a 1024x768 (77 Hz) mode.

I did not know that.  All of the boxes I had with cg3
frambuffers were all 1152x900, and I thought that was the only
mode available.  I also had some older B/W machines, so I'm
probably mixing up the two.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I have a VISION! It's
                                  at               a RANCID double-FISHWICH on

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: modules.dep is older than modules.conf
Date: 21 Apr 2000 14:32:00 EDT

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:00:44 GMT, root
<<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> shouted forth into the ether:
>Ok I'm an extream nubbie.  I get "/lib/modules/2.2.14/modules.dep is
>older than modules.conf.
>This has happened after alot of changes when I was trying to install a
>3c509b NIC.
>I would like to just be pointed to the right info.  I don't mind the
>rtfm, I just don't know which one to read.  Please help.

The fix is to run "depmod -a".  I forget which FM that was in, because
I've R'd so many of them that they've all blurred together.

BTW, it's not a good idea to be running as root unless it's really
necessary.  The rule is, "If you can do it as a normal user, then do so."
Posting to Usenet is certainly a normal-user thing....

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows              \###| Programmers are playwrights
There is no Darkness in Eternity         \##| Computers are lousy actors

------------------------------

From: mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux redhat 6.2
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:30:10 GMT

i am tryiong to install linux on my compaq presario 5050
i am currently running win 98 on drive c and win 2000 on drive d
rawrite wont work in win 98 msdos so i cant make a floppy boot disc. and
my cd rom isnt bootable.. has any one else had this problem?
i burned the rom from an iso using easy cd creator and anytime i try to
copy and paste a file like rawrite to another partition it says not ready
reading drive f:(cdrom)this message also comes up when i try to run
rawrite in msdos. does the partition have to be fat 16 or will fat32 do?
any help would be appreciated.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter T. Breuer)
Subject: Re: Linux is Hard to Use: part 3
Date: 21 Apr 2000 20:37:36 +0100

Eric Y. Chang ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:                   Linux is Hard to Use:  Part 3

: Linux new user (NU) installation usage profile.
: Expert comments are marked EX.

Very amusing!

: EX:  You could try RedHat.  Also, it is recommended that you purchase

Bad news. Try slackware instead. If the luser is able enough to do it,
he won't have any trouble. If he can't do it, no harm will be done.
Please don't encourage use of bughat. By all accounts corel is easier
(when it works), and again, if it doesn't it doesn't, and no harm done.

For a person of comp-IQ above 90, suse might also be an option.

: NU:  I've got a problem.  Linux has destroyed Windows.  I tried to
: install to the second hard disk and now the computer just generates
: 010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010...
: forever when it tries to boot.  Also, I cannot boot Windows.

: EX: Oh yes, the old lilo
: 010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010101010... bug.
: You did make a boot disk?  Why did you want to go back to Windows
: anyway?

This is the point to tell him to use the install boot disk, and type
"root=/dev/hdaX", for some X as a parameter. As far as I recall, redhat
install (eccccccccch) even allows one to boot back in from the install
disk as a rescue service.

And then tell him to do the laodlin trick with the kernel image he'll
find installed, and boot from the windows config.sys menu, after
running fdisk /mbr.

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:35:33 -0500
From: John Ledesma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: How to add Home folder to the gnome panel?

I'm using RH 6.2 and would like to add my home folder to the gnome
panel.
I've tried the menu choice "add a new launcher" and chosen directory
instead of application and typed in the path. What else do I need to do?

Thanks for any help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Otavio Exel)
Crossposted-To: linux.debian.user
Subject: Re: help with tar
Date: 21 Apr 2000 18:45:49 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> (In the first case, the name will be /, in the second it will be ./ .
> I think the second is slightly preferable, as it makes it easier to
> unpack in a separate subtree.)

yes, I think "./" is better; actually IIRC the time I tried w/o success
to restore a whole filesystem to a newly mke2fs'ed partition using
'star' it choked on an "/" and not on an empty entry;

I just did a test with "./" and it worked!

> pax is a great tool;

never heard of it. I'll take a look

> If necessary, prepare another floppy disk with pax, GNU tar, cpio or
> afio just so you can restore things more easily.

I'll do that; but it feels really nice to know that all you need to
restore a system is the resc1440.bin from ftp.debian.org :-)

thanks & beers,

--
Otavio Exel /<\oo/>\ [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Charles Sullivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can't boot Linux from hard disk
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:47:29 GMT

Ken Corbin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mark Bratcher writes:
> > Ken Corbin wrote:
> >>
> >> Still trying to get this old 486 to run Redhat 6.0.  Got the LILO
problems
> >> all straitened out. But whenever it tries to run the standard linux
kernal
> >> image it gets an error while trying to uncompress it.  Error varies
from
> >> "crc error" to "invalid compressed format".  The odd thing is that it
will
> >> boot just fine from a rescue disk with what presumably is a copy of the
> >> same kernal image.  Tried copying the vmlinuz-2.2.5-15 to the hard disk
and
> >> setting up lilo to boot from the new copy.  Changes the error I get,
but
> >> still fails while trying to uncompress the kernel.
> >>
> >> I stumped.  For now the system is usable as long as I keep the rescue
disk
> >> in the floppy drive.  But it is annoying and I would sure like to
figure out
> >> what is going wrong with the hard drive boot.  Anything else I can
try???

> > Are you sure your hard disk doesn't have a low-level error in the /boot
> > area? You might want to error check the disk from your BIOS if the BIOS
> > supports it.
>
> I did think of that, but I think I can rule that one out.
> Formatting the partition under linux and Partition Magic found no disk
> errors.
> Copying the kernal image from the floppy to a different filename in
> /boot directory, persumably to a different disk location, and having LILO
> boot from that didn't help.
> Erassing the disk and building a new ex2fs partition 5 Meg higher the the
> previous attempt didn't help either.
>
> Any other ideas???

Are you certain that the kernel is located entirely below the 1024 cylinder
boundary on your hard drive?

------------------------------

From: Alexis Bilodeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: filesystem error
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:58:38 GMT

Hi,

When I try to install a new RPM (which, actually, is lpr
(mdk)), it
tells me that it needs 4 kb on the var filesystem.  I
installed this
package before and it worked fine.  Then I got an error
when printing
from a joeuser telling me that it can't write the
temporary file when
printing (related to the var problem?).  So I decided to
remove the
packages and reinstall them, but now I get this error.
I tried to copy a 1mb file on /var/ and it worked fine...
What's the matter?
How can I diagnoze this filesystem?

Thank you,

--