From: "Database" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: free internet for Linux?
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 04:20:23 GMT

I live in the US

database

news:pLEM5.128852$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Database" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: free internet for linux in the US.
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 04:27:40 GMT

I was wondering if there were any providers for free internet for linux in
the US.

database

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 20:12:19 -0500
From: An Metet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.unix.admin
Subject: OT - no wars pls, but a good read

Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

 http://www.workingforchange.com/news/column_dsp.cfm?ItemId=8542

by Molly Ivins

Damned if I know why he's running

Dubya is a nice fellow, sure, but he's a bantamweight who's never been
interested in governing WASHINGTON -- As they used to say, long ago and far away,
there it is.

Tuesday night's debate gave us the real Al Gore and the real George W. Bush.

Gore won -- he may even have killed -- but he's still annoying. One can only
conclude that that smarmy, pietistic streak of his is absolutely authentic;
that's exactly who he really is.

He's sharp as a razor, knows his onions (does anyone else outside of
Congress know what "Dingell-Norwood" is?) and will probably be a good
president. Bush not only amply demonstrated his vast ignorance but also was
so profoundly misleading on his supposed role in the Texas Patients' Bill of

Rights that I have to conclude he knowingly lied.

It's possible to not know or be confused about a lot of things, but Bush
cannot possibly believe what he said: "As a matter of fact, I brought
Republicans and Democrats together to do just that in the state of Texas, to

get a patients' bill of rights through." He was there, I was there, and
that's flat untrue. He reviewed the details of the bill accurately, so it
was clear that he had recently prepped on the subject.

To add insult to injury, Bush went on to claim: "But we did something else
that was interesting. We're one of the first (actually, the first) states
that said you can sue an HMO for denying you proper coverage."

What is called the Patients' Bill of Rights was actually a package of bills,
only one of which was ever controversial. That's the bill Bush hated so much
that he refused to sign it. He had to be talked out of vetoing it because
the veto wouldn't stand.

Texas Rep. Hugo Berlanga, who was chairman of the Public Health Committee at
the time, and Kim Ross, lobbyist for the Texas Medical Association, both
fought him on it.

In 1995, his first year as governor, the Texas Legislature passed a
Patients' Bill of Rights, and George W. Bush vetoed it. In 1997, the
Legislature passed very much the same Patients' Bill of Rights, this time by
a veto-proof majority, and Bush refused to sign the crucial segment of the
bill, the very one he bragged about -- that in Texas you can sue an HMO for
denying you coverage.

He refused to sign it because he hates trial lawyers and didn't want them to
be able to sue HMOs. That's what that whole fight was about for two
sessions.

The person who deserves the credit that Bush so egregiously took for
bringing R's and D's together in support of a strong bill is a Republican
state senator, David Sibley of Waco. Bush was an impediment throughout the
entire process.

No one expects Bush to know the difference between Chernomyrdin and
Berezovsky, but the one subject that he IS supposed to know about is the
state of Texas. In the course of these debates, he has claimed that the
governor of Texas appoints state Supreme Court justices, which is a hopeless
howler. He dwelled with great relish on the claim that all three killers in
the most notorious murder case of our time got the death penalty. Only two
of them did. And Bush in fact did nothing to stop a hate crimes bill, which
was the Legislature's effort to bring something good out of that case, from
stalling. And now he claims that he passed the Patients' Bill of Rights,
which in fact was passed in spite of him.

If Al Gore had twisted the truth as grossly as Bush did on the Patients'
Bill of Rights, every Republican in America would be screaming liar, liar,
liar.

It is harder to tell if Bush actually believes his repeated claim that he is

a leader who brings Republicans and Democrats together. Can he possibly
think that he, rather than the since-deceased Lt. Gov. Bob Bullock, was
running the state? I'm not sure which would be more troubling -- if he knows

it's not true or if he actually thinks it is.

I have tried repeatedly to explain to non-Texans just how weak an office the
governorship of Texas is, but even if Bush suffers from the illusion that he
has a powerful job, he must know he doesn't work at it by anyone's measure.
The New York Times has just discovered, with an air of great wonder, that
Bush doesn't even work 9 to 5 and that he knocks off work every day for a
couple of hours to jog and play video games.

This does not come as news to Texans. Our governors have varied on how much
attention they pay to the job. Some have been compulsive workers -- John
Connally, Mark White and Ann Richards all come to mind as full-time
governors, putting in killer hours most of the time. Bill Clements, too,
worked more than Bush does.

On the other hand, Dolph Briscoe spent most of his governorship on his
ranch, and they've all knocked off work to go dove hunting.

I have thought since he first ran that George W. Bush was too light to be
governor of Texas. Frankly, I can't imagine why anyone would consider him
for president. He's not smart, he doesn't know much, and he doesn't work
hard.

The truth is, he is not terribly interested in government or how it works.
Damned if I know why he's running. He is a nice fellow. I've always liked
him. I like lots of people who I don't think should be president.

Molly Ivins is a columnist for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

------------------------------

From: J Sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Secure mail under Red Hat 6.2
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 05:18:48 GMT

D & S wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking at moving my company from using sendmail under Red Hat 6.2 to
> something more secure and that gives me some levels of spam control.

Sendmail provides all sorts of spam control -
and procmail, which ships with Red Hat, gives
even more possibilities for exotic spam control.

I dunno, we do a million messages a month, sendmail
works a treat for us - sorry to hear of your woes.

jjs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: cd burning
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 05:05:32 GMT

I am having trouble getting a cd that I burn to play in my stepson's
stereo.  His stereo will play cdr's that somebody else burned for him
using Windows and Adaptec Easy CD Creator.  And, the cdr's that I make
will play on my stereo.

I am using Linux because I haven't been able to burn one at all in
Windows.  Here is the command that I'm using:

cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=2 -nofix -audio -pad /mnt/hda1/<wav file
directory>/*

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,
Darren

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Post)
Subject: Re: libc versions?
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 05:22:46 GMT

On Fri, 03 Nov 2000 12:58:20 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I've recently tried to install Informix (no wait!  Don't go yet!) onto
>my Slackware v7.1 system.

>The docs for Informix state that it needs glibc v2.0.7.

>Well, I thought, Slackware v7.1 comes with glibc v2.1.3 so I'll be
>alright.

>However, when I tried to install it I get the following messages :

>error: failed dependencies:
-snip-

Alright, I have to ask... Why in the _world_ are you installing RPMs on a
Slackware system?  If you want RPMs, why don't you use the systems that are
_built_ with them, so the RPM database is complete?  Personally, if the only
place that I can get a package I want is in an RPM, I use the rpm2tgz tool
and use installpkg on it.

Mark POst

Postmodern Consulting
Information Technology and Systems Management Consulting
To send me email, replace 'nospam' with 'home'.

------------------------------

From: "Default User" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: LINUX utility to change IRQ on 3C509
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 00:25:48 -0500

Why not use a win95, 98 boot disk and start up the machine and then use the
DOS util?

I did.

You may also have to disable PnP for Linux (and NT4)

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Aaron Dancygier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.perl,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Re: perl - need help with a regexp
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 05:31:04 GMT

==============6EB8B3629C0855ADF9B5EA15

Thats a greedy match first of all you are matching 0 or more of any character
with no short circuit followed by a "
.* literally means anything
you could specify m~http://([^"]+)"~;
also try using ($url) = $string =~ m~http://([^"]+)"~;
instead of the array this will also strip the // from the url.

Aaron Dancygier

Dan Mahoney wrote:

> me wrote:
>
> > hi
> >
> > i have a string similar to the following:
> >
> >  <A HREF="http://my.host.com/blah/blah.html"  LAST_VISIT="0"
> > LAST_MODIFIED="0">blah blah</A>
> >
> > i want to extract just the web page location, ie.
> > http://my.host.com/blah/blah.html
> >
> > This is the expression i'm using:
> >           @URLArray = m/(http:.*")/i;
> >
> > but it matches the entire line up until the last " which isn't what i
> > want. i want it to match everything until the first " only. how do i do
> > this?
>
> You've got several choices.  If you're running Perl 5, replace your regexp
> with
>      (http:.*?)"
> to specify minimal matching.
>
> An alternative to that is to use
>     (http:[^"]+)"
> to specify "http:, followed by one or more occurences of anything except a
> ", followed by a quote".
>
> Dan Mahoney

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

==============6EB8B3629C0855ADF9B5EA15

Thats a greedy match first of all you are matching 0 or more of any character
with no short circuit followed by a "
href="http://my.host.com/blah/blah.html">http://my.host.com/blah/blah.html</a>"&nbsp;
LAST_VISIT="0"
= m/(<a href="http:.*" )/i">http:.*")/i</a>;
i do
your regexp
#1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

From: "Michael Faurot" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: console screensaver
Date: 4 Nov 2000 05:47:15 GMT

Jack Haines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I need help...  I don't want the screensaver to come on when I'm on th
: console (where the screen goes black)

See setterm(1).

: please respond via e-mail - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Try following up on the replies in the newsgroup instead.

 Michael | mfaurot  | "Can you program?"  "Well, I'm literate, if that's
 Faurot  | atww.net | what you mean!"

------------------------------

From: "Les Mikesell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Routing
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 06:06:28 GMT

"Quad" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8tud37$635$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Excellent guys, you are all helping me out a lot.
>
> Now if I setup ipchains to masq the internal subnet... is it hard to
> do?  I have setup ipchains before, but never with 2 different ways for
> the packets to go.  It was a DG and that was that.
>
> If I try and setup ipchains, will I have to include routing info as
> well, or will the ipchains setup do all of that for me?

The chains apply to interfaces, so you need to add the routes
also.

> For example:
>
>    ((FRAME RELAY to other co.))ip: 24.231.34.202, sm: 255.255.255.248
>  eth1 (ip 24.231.34.203, DG 24.231.34.202)

Is this a separate router with an ethernet interface at your end? You need
to know the network/mask for the machines at the other company and
do:
route add -net nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn netmask nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn gw 24.231.34.202
  and they have to add a similar route back to your net.   However
you might be able to simplify things if you control this and/or the
internet router.   You could default everything to one router or the
other and MASQ it, and configure the routers to send things on to
the right place (but be careful about exposing the other companys
router to the internet - you might need to filter direct access).

> ((LINUX BOX))--eth2(ip 64.3.65.2, DG 64.3.65.1)-----INTERNET
>  eth0 (ip 172.16.0.4 does this need a DG or should it have 2?)
> INTERNAL LAN (172.16.0.*, DG 172.16.0.4)

You can only have one default gateway.  For all the others you
need specific network/netmask entries.  So the Linux box would
have 64.3.65.1 as the default.   The internal LAN will automatically
get the route it needs from the interface/netmask.

> Ok, now that is the setup I believe we are all talking about, right?
>
> Is setting up ipchains going to be hard for this?  The rules etc?  Will
> I need any route adds at all, or will ipchains take care of all routing
> for me?

One route to the other company's net, one default.

> Here is what I am thinking for ipchains rules, but I could be wayyyyyy
> off:
>
> ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -i eth1 -s 172.16.0.0/16 -d 0.0.0.0/0
> ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -i eth2 -s 172.16.0.0/16 -d 0.0.0.0/0
>
> Would this be all I would have to do to accomplish this, or will the
> destination of say the first (eth1)entry have to set to something.  How
> will the linux box know which nic to send the packets out on?  Is it
> just that smart?

I haven't done MASQ on more than one interface so I'm not sure.  I think
you could masq anything from the local side to anywhere with something
like:
ipchains -N eth0-f
ipchains -A eth0-f -j MASQ -i eth0 -s 172.16.0.0/16 -d 0/0

You'll probably want an assortment of firewalling rules in there too.

   Les Mikesell

From: "Dada" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.portable,alt.os.linux.mandrake
Subject: Re: decent synaptics driver?
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 20:13:51 +1300

It's up again... but check: http://www.synaptics.com/support.html

news:8trn18$b9s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Nick <nickb21@*nospam*excite.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Mounting HDD's
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2000 02:21:58 -0500

Is it possible to mount multiple hard drives to one mount point. I would
guess this would involve some sort of RAID configuration. I am running
Rhat 6.2. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot.

--Nick

------------------------------

From: David Richard Larochelle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RPM installation
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 02:15:08 -0500

Hi all,

I need to install some rpm on a machine which I don't have root on.

It seem like it should be possible to get rpm to install into directories
that I have write permission to.  Is there anyway to get rpm to do
this?

Thanks in advance,

David

------------------------------

From: "gina" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How to install XF86_SVGA?
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 02:43:52 +0800

Hi,

I was trying to install OpenLinux via LISA. After setting up, during
XF86Setup of the hardware components, I was prompted that my display server
should be SVGA for my graphics card, and prompted me to change. How do I do
that?

Tks

Gina

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Daryl Fonseca-Holt)
Subject: Re: samba and etc/printcap?
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 06:59:05 -0600

You need to use smbprint from /etc/printcap, not smbclient.