Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> I would then like that to be reflected in the main page.
> I would rather that this be called "Howto and FAQ - Linux raid"
> than "Main Page - Linux Raid". Is that possible?

Just like C has a main() wiki's have a Main Page :)

I guess it could be changed but I think it involves editing the Mediawiki config
- maybe next time I'm in there...

> And then, how do we structure the pages? I think we need a new section
> for the FAQ.

By all means create an FAQ page and link to answers or other relevant sections
of the wiki. Bear in mind that this is a reference work and whilst it may
contain tutorials the idea is that it contains (reasonably) authoritative
information about the linux raid subsystem (linking to the source, kernel docs
or man pages if that's more appropriate).

> And then I would like a clearer statement on the relation between the
> linux-raid mailing list and the pages, right in the top of the main page.
The relationship is loose - the statement as it stands describes the current
state of affairs. If Neil feels that he could or would like to help the case by
declaring a more official relationship then that's his call. To be fair I work
on these pages on and off as the mood takes me :) if I was Neil I'd be keeping
an eye on it and waiting for the right level of community involvement.

> I have had a look at other search engines, yahoo and msn.
> Our pages do show up within the 10 first hits for "linux raid".
> So that is not that bad. Still, Google has the
> http://linux-raid.osdl.org/ page as number 127. That is very bad.
> Maybe something about it being referenced from wikipedia?

I'm not an expert at gaming the search engines - more than happy to do rational
things like linking from Wikipedia and other reference sites.

I am sad that I've had such a poor response from the other linux documentation
sites... maybe a Slashdot article not so much about doc-rot but about the
difficulty of combating doc-rot would help...

Maybe they'd take more notice if I said "the linux raid subsystem maintainer
says..." - dunno.

David