I've not yet completed Matthew Dharm's request to enable
USB_STORAGE_VERBOSE_DEBUG. I'll do that today.

I did zero out the partition table (and then some :-)) using dd:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd bs=1024 count=1000

To verify, I fired up fdisk, and got this message:

"Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or
OSF disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel. Changes will remain in memory only,
until you decide to write them. After that, of course, the previous
content won't be recoverable.

Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)"

Ok, great, definitely no partition table, anymore!

After closing fdisk without doing anything, I popped the card into my
Windows XP machine. It instantly appears in the Disk Management applet
as a healthy 1.92GB unformatted device.

Cheers,

Jason