On Mon, Jun 05, 2000, Mark Douglas Corner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have an unreleased device that I am attempting to get working under
> linux.  It works fine under win98.  Also I am having the same problem with
> an Intel USB camera.  I know that there are no drivers for these, but as
> you can see that isn't the problem here.  I did manage to get a USB
> keyboard to connect correctly.
>
> Fortunately I have a CATC USB Chief analyzer, although I have to note that
> I am somewhat new to USB.

Could you give us a copy of the traces? The software to view the traces
is available for free from CATC's website for anyone to use. It
unfortunately is Windows only.

> The problem occurs during the GET_DESCRIPTOR transaction.  (The second one
> with the proper address add=2)  The transaction is not acked.  It is sent
> in five groups of three, none of them acked or nacked.  There is no
> repsonse from the device at all.

The code tries 5 times to get a descriptor. The HC tries 3 times to get
a response from the device.

> I suspect the problem actually occurs earlier during the set_address.  The
> set_address is sent (the same as the win98) and acked, then several INs
> are sent each of which are nacked until a final one is acked.  On win98
> the first one is acked.
>
> A similar result follows the first (address=0) get_descriptor.  Again no
> nacks on win98.

This could be due to FSBR or something similar. However, I have no
idea what the timing looks like so I don't know for sure.

> Another difference is that there appear to be several RESETs under win98.
> Of note is one that falls between the get_descriptor (add=0) and the
> set_address.

Windows likes to send resets for some reason. We don't since I don't see
anywhere in the spec that says this is necessary.

> Any advice?  I may be able to provide traces.  I would say the device is
> bad, but things are smooth as silk under win98.  Possibly it is just out
> of spec?  It seems to follow a VERY similar sequence under win98, but
> somehow it enumerates correctly.

Wouldn't be the first time we've seen a slightly out of spec USB device.

> I am using 2.2.15 with the backport under uhci.o  Thanks for any advice
> you can offer.

You can also try the other UHCI driver.

Traces would be great to look at.

JE