On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:22, Roger Searle wrote:
> Hi, now that I have a wireless router at work and home (both are 802.11b
> & g), I need a pcmcia card for my laptop.  Plenty of them about of
> course, but I want to make sure it will work under linux.  Any advice on
> which ones are better / easier to get going under linux / reliability /
> range etc would be appreciated.
>
> For example while this one from DSE mentions specifically linux support
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43278a92043fc6f8273fc0a87f99073
>0/Product/View/XH6828
<quote>
This product is only available to personal shoppers at the Retail Stores
listed below.
  Retail Stores:
(with stock available)
Store Locations   New Lynn, Henderson, Takapuna, Hamilton, Rotorua, Vivian
Street, Lower Hutt.
</quote>
Looks as if you are SOL whith that one.

>it is quite a lot more expensive than others that do
> not such as
> http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/43278a92043fc6f8273fc0a87f99073
>0/Product/View/XH8345 which does not.
Similar. Nearest stock is Rangiora, but it can be backordered.

> While I do not have to pay for it myself, I don't have an unlimited
> budget and so can't just buy anything I want.  I have no idea whether
> the 2.6 kernel translates into "all cards will go" and can get away with
> a cheap genius card or or whether I need to be pretty careful about what
> I get.
From personal experience I know that the Intel ipw2100 and ipw220 mini-pci
cards work perfectly. Linus has not put them in the official kernel yet,
because, as I understand it, the cards will auto associate to an access
point. Linus feels this is a breach of security. Others feel that it is a
wonderful convenience. Matter of opinion I 'spose. Anyway they both install
and work for me.

--
CS