Could be a timeout issue with the security or the session???

-----Original Message-----
From: Roger Searle [mailto:w...@paradise.net.nz]
Sent: Friday, 20 February 2009 11:10 am
To: linux-users@it.canterbury.ac.nz
Subject: wireless connecting - network manager problem?

Hi, over the last month or so I have experienced increasing problems
getting the wireless connection to connect.  This is an ubuntu 8.04 with
gnome, network manager 0.6.6.  Only changes have been any updates via
apt-get update/upgrade.  Connections are to 2 separate wrt54gl routers
(home, work), set up essentially the same.   I know they function OK
based on other laptops connecting without issue.

Going back a month, connections would "just work" on logging on to the
gnome desktop.  Then I would occasionally experience a problem
connecting, and manually intervene via  network manager.  2 weeks or so
ago I began to be prompted for the passphrase and could then
successfully connect.  Now I am often unable to connect at all, or can
connect after 2 or sometimes 3 or 4 times entering the passphrase.
Sometimes I'm having to resort to an ethernet cable  :-(

Turning on and off the wireless switch on the laptop, or disabling then
re-enabling wireless via network manager, or a reboot, or resetting the
router, have all been tried in an attempt to resolve with any
consistency, but generally it's random if it is successful.  Removing
and recreating the passphrase entry in the "Passwords and Encryption
Keys" tool (where the password is usually shown in what appears to be a
hex format) hasn't helped.

I'm at a loss to explain what I am describing, so seeking any
suggestions on how to resolve this or where to look.

Cheers,
Roger

This electronic email and any files transmitted with it are intended
addressed.

The views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the Christchurch
City Council.

If you are not the correct recipient of this email please advise the
sender and delete.

Christchurch City Council
http://www.ccc.govt.nz