>On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 06:56:09PM -0500, Jeremy Nelson wrote:
>> Judy Arrays is a modern associative array data structure.
>> http://judy.sourceforge.net/ They could be used as a
>> drop-in replacement for alists, which are unpopular with
>> some people because of the slow insert and delete times.
>>
>>   Pro: There is no beating judy for performance

>As I found from sources, Associated Lists is used for this:
> - crypt list
> - ignore list
> - logfiles list
> - window list
>(Though, I may be missing something)
>
>Jeremy, do you think that replacing alists with Jlists will
>give EPIC better performance? [...]

The "add_to_list" function which you looked for is the doubly-linked-list [2]
handler, and this would not be affected by judy arrays, those things above
would continue to be done in doubly linked lists.

The "add_to_array" function is the alist api, and is used for:
  - Symbols (aliases, assigns, commands, functions, sets, and inline expandos)
  - Nicknames on channels
  - Notify
  - 005 values the server supports

I think the big question is whether or not these things are important
enough to optimize with a better data structure. [1]

Jeremy

[1] Alists have O(log2 N) lookups, O(N) inserts and deletes, and
    O(1) sorted-order traversal.
[2] Doubly linked lists have O(N) lookups, O(N) inserts and deletes,
    and O(1) sorted-order-traversal.