Hi,

I see that log4j3 is about to release, so I'm wondering what are the
plans regarding future development and maintenance of log4j2? Do you
expect to keep releasing new 2.X versions? How long do you expect to
still maintain 2.X releases?

To provide a bit of context, the Apache Kafka project is considering
switching to log4j2, but we're concerned that with log4j3, log4j2 will
soon enter end of life.

Also the website states log4j3 will require Java 11 [0] but looking at
the latest published artifacts [1], it looks like it instead requires
Java 17 instead. Apache Kafka still supports Java 11 so we can't
directly adopt log4j3.

Thanks,
Mickael

0: https://logging.apache.org/log4j/3.x/#requirements