Version 3 is in active development; we’re still working on several things (and
a few more releases) before 3.0.0. In particular, documentation is an area that
will be getting overhauled (along with migration guides and a more useful user
manual), and we’re still auditing various bug fixes and such from 2.x that
might not have been copied over to 3.x.

In general, we still plan on maintaining 2.x for quite a while, but we’re
limiting this largely to bug fixes (including security), dependency updates,
and other minor things. The goals of 3.x are to provide easier migration paths
from 2.x, but the Java requirements make that impossible for some projects
(like Kafka), hence the continued support for 2.x. While I’m not sure we’ve
written down the specifics yet, the general idea is that we’d like to support
2.x (and Java 8 and 11) for as long as those versions of Java are still a
decent percentage of active users. We had a similar philosophy when we bumped
our Java requirements from 6 to 7 and later from 7 to 8. In that regard, we’re
usually one of the last projects to upgrade. The alignment on Java 17 is partly
inspired by Spring doing the same combined with how long 3.x has been in
development (which was originally aiming for Java 11 as the baseline).