Hi Mickael,

On Wed, 10 Jan 2024 at 15:53, Mickael Maison <mimai...@apache.org> wrote:
> I see that log4j3 is about to release, so I'm wondering what are the
> plans regarding future development and maintenance of log4j2? Do you
> expect to keep releasing new 2.X versions? How long do you expect to
> still maintain 2.X releases?

Something the other comments didn't specify is that `log4j-api` 3.x
will not break binary compatibility with `2.x` from a user's
perspective.
There will be some changes also there, but they should only concern
Log4j APi implementors and Log4j Core plugin providers.

> To provide a bit of context, the Apache Kafka project is considering
> switching to log4j2, but we're concerned that with log4j3, log4j2 will
> soon enter end of life.

That is great news. Are you planning to switch APIs (from SLF4J to
Log4j API) or implementations (from Reload4j to Log4j Core)?

The first operation should be easy, since we recently contributed an
SLF4J to Log4j API OpenRewrite recipe:

https://github.com/openrewrite/rewrite-logging-frameworks/releases/tag/v2.4.0

The second operation should be trivial, since you just need to convert
the configuration file in your binary distribution. For simple case
you can also use `Log4j1ConfigurationConverter`:

https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/blob/2.x/log4j-1.2-api/src/main/java/org/apache/log4j/config/Log4j1ConfigurationConverter.java

Piotr