Dear Herbert,
                      I'm afraid I'll disagree with your teacher, with
respect.
Having the little finger in the soundboard is fine, and very useful for
different reasons.
On the other hand, you should be able to play with the right arm as free as
possible (specially while playing figueta), and this necessary implies
changing the position of the little finger (sorry for the bizarre English)
I find, after years of trying different things, that the four note chords
(specially if you have to play them fast or relatively fast) work better
using the whole weight of the right arm,  lifting- when needed- naturally
the little finger from the top.
You may also try for example something as simple as this:
put your thumb in the fourth course (playing position), "i" in the third
one, "m" in the second, and "a" in the first. Now just try to make a good
sound with "a", in different notes, holding the other finger in their
playing position. Then, once you feel more or less ok with the sound of that
specific finger, try doing the chord (try it also playing with "a" in the
second). This might help the finger to find the right angle.
Hope it works.
Saludos,