Dear Jon,

Reading between the lines it seems (from what you say) that you rest
your little finger on the soundboard in spite of what you have been
told to do by your teacher. It is correct to rest one's little
finger on the soundboard of the lute. It is incorrect (and
impractical) to hold one's hand away from the instrument, as
classical guitarists do.

If you prefer using thumb and ring finger for fast runs, there is
probably something basically wrong with your right-hand position.
Thumb and index finger is correct, because it is easier that way.
Everyone's ring finger is weaker than the other fingers, because it
is joined up with the middle finger inside the hand; and keeping
one's finger on the soundboard tends to restrict the action of the
ring finger. Some players (notably Gerle and Kapsberger) rested
their ring finger and little finger on the soundboard.

Not all lutenetters have come to the lute from the classical guitar.
I learned clawhammer guitar and Scruggs style banjo before I got
interested in playing the lute.

All the best,

Stewart.